Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 04-15-2015, 08:43 AM   #531
Disliker of the mary sue

Default Re: Another 2000 Things I Am No Longer Allowed To Do In An RPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterAndWindSpirit View Post
I have an idea!

Plaster grenades! You throw it, and it releases a massive cloud of plaster, painting everything in it's area of effect white. Usually used for training soldiers.
Hm but would that really demonstrate how much fragmentation can be a bitch?

Last edited by Disliker of the mary sue; 04-15-2015 at 08:47 AM.
Disliker of the mary sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:49 AM   #532
Dwarf99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disliker of the mary sue View Post
Hm but would that really demonstrate how much fragmentation can be a <pain>?
No, but that's what BBs are for.
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 06:22 PM   #533
crretin

326: I am not allowed to have a badger animal companion just to take "exotic weapon profieciency: Badger on a stick"

crretin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 06:31 PM   #534
Disliker of the mary sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by crretin View Post
326: I am not allowed to have a badger animal companion just to take "exotic weapon profieciency: Badger on a stick"
I want that to just be someone in a jrpg main weapon, so that every store has a new better version of a badger on a stick despite that one guy being the only customer ever to buy this.

327. When our charecters get transported to a modern tech level the appropriate response is the gasp and ahh at the sorcery of modern tech, not just say meh.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:53 PM   #535
crretin

328: Even if I am allowed to use rule 326 I am not allowed to use that to make a character based off of Old man Mcgucket from gravity falls

crretin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:46 PM   #536
Disliker of the mary sue

339: If the whole sailor disguise falls through, my next disguise can't just be wearing what looks to be an outfit of a music based supervillain from the silver age of comics on the logic of no one will ever think the wanted bard would dress in such an eye catching outfit if he wanted to hide.

Last edited by Disliker of the mary sue; 05-09-2015 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:04 PM   #537
Nereidalbel

Quote:
239: If the whole sailor disguise falls through, my next disguise can't just be wearing what looks to be an outfit of a music based supervillain from the silver age of comics on the logic of no one will ever think the wanted bard would dress in such an eye catching outfit if he wanted to hide.
You should have gone with the clown look. And changed your name to Kefka.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:56 PM   #538
Disliker of the mary sue

340: For the purposes of magic Abesto suit's are not considered light armor, so just suggesting the entire party (including another magic user) wear those is not feasible just so you can use a more accurenty wide effect fire spell with little risk of friendly fire.

Last edited by Disliker of the mary sue; 05-09-2015 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:33 AM   #539
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
240: For the purposes of magic Abesto suit's are not considered light armor, so just suggesting the entire party (including another magic user) wear those is not feasible just so you can use a more accurenty wide effect fire spell with little risk of friendly fire.
That is an awesome idea! Ok, less the asbesto suits and more giving allies protection against a type of damage and then spamming that damage type in area spells.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:29 AM   #540
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
That is an awesome idea! Ok, less the asbesto suits and more giving allies protection against a type of damage and then spamming that damage type in area spells.
Pretty much every seasoned adventurer party in settings where GUPRS Magic- / D&D-style immunity to a damage type buffing spells are available has in my experience made a point of everyone being immune to fire at all times combat seems remotely possible. Fire is the most common threat apart from purely mundane weapons, as it can be created in fairly great volume and intensity by non-mages using alchemical means in almost all fantasy settings.

Being immune to it allows fireballing into melee with impunity, which is a shockingly effective way to inflict lots of damage per second against anyone who is either unable or unwilling to invest in magic that gives you infinite DR against this common threat on fantasy battlefields. And fire spells are generally the most efficient way to cover a large area of a battlefield with a damaging area attack, which further incentives becoming immune at the first opportunity.

Immune to fire items are thus generally the first magical items PC adventurers commission when they become succesful enough to have magical items acquired in trade for less desirable items, directly bought or made.

It would seem illogical if NPCs with access to similar resources didn't prepare for the inevitable rain of fireballs by fire-immune adventurers. So the way to tell a succesful adventurer, as opposed to a mere beginning mercenary and/or grave-robber (or a mediocre one who still struggles to pay tavern bills), is that he's immune to fire. As adventurers progress, they become immune to more things.

PCs eventually learn that a few attack spells that they are immune to dropped at ground zero will wipe out any opposition other than fellow adventurers and the occasional smart monster with the flexible magical capabilities to use relatively cheap magical methods to buff oneself with hundreds of points of limited DR. Such foes are really the only opposition succesful adventurers need worry about.

In a sense, I guess, D&D-style elemental immunity magic combined with liberal use of area spells using that element is modern warfare in any setting where it exists. Those who don't use it are pretty much obsolete on a famtasy battlefield.

Last edited by Icelander; 05-03-2015 at 04:58 PM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote