Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:52 AM   #1
hcobb

Default The infantry cloud tactic in classic OGRE

I've split the discussion about splitting the inf in the usual OGRE scenarios into 1/1 single squads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalend View Post
When I've tried this on the tan map it hasn't really mattered that much. I tend to engage the infantry about when the ogre hits M2. The infantry marches in a big cloud, but avoids the traffic jam with tanks and craters by stacking up. After that it's time to get guns on targets. The ogre usually doesn't have a secondary to spare for infantry; bad news for the command post if it gets to that point.
I like to have the infantry cloud forwards with GEVs behind the line. The Inf are there to knock off the main batteries and then start on the treads. Then the GEVs get in there, lose one GEV to each missile and most of the rest survive to hit the Ogre over and over again.

For the Mark V, the two MBs kill an average of 2.67 squads if 3/1 platoons or 2/1 sections are the best targets, but only 2.00 squads if only 1/1 squads are in range.

The six secondary batteries kill an average of 8.00 squads if 3/1 platoons are the best targets, but only 6.00 squads if only 2/1 sections or 1/1 squads are in range.

The 12 APs kill an average of 3.00 squads of inf while moving (if inf located in ever hex moved to) then an additional 5.33 squads if 3/1 platoons are the best targets, but 6.00 squads if 2/1 sections, or only 4.50 squads if only 1/1 squads are in range.

Totalling this all up, the worst average case losses for each inf clumping is:
  • 19.00 squads/turn for 3/1 platoons
  • 17.67 squads/turn for 2/1 sections
  • 15.50 squads/turn for 1/1 squads
In addition a cloud of 1/1 squads is much less likely to present enough targets for ranged fire (especially those deadly secondary batteries) so spreading out your troops on the nuclear battlefield makes a lot of sense.

Last edited by hcobb; 06-18-2012 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Ogre movement vs surviving inf to fire on.
hcobb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
dwalend

Default Re: The infantry cloud tactic in classic OGRE

Do you stack the INF next to the ogre to get more guns on targets, or keep them as single sqads the whole time?

I'll have to play some games with this set-up. Qualitative counter-tactics I can think of involve having the ogre not play into the defense's game: snipe at the infantry with the bigger guns, back into a corner to force the defense to either concentrate or come in weak, bait the GEVs in, charge and fight GEVs while M3, then clean up surviving infantry while M2. If it doesn't work out at least the ogre can slip into the river.

By sniping that MkV can clear eight hexes with its big guns, better than a hemisphere at range two -- 8 squads per turn. Backing toward the river might do the job just as well as ducking into a corner.
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
hcobb

The Inf only stack up to attack.

This tends to clear out range 2 for GEV attacks. Since the GEVs quickly become imortal, the Ogre really needs to charge into the cloud and get struck by lightning over and over again.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
FireHorse

I'm betting not a lot of people want to play Ogre with you, do they Henry?

Or not twice, anyway…
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:44 PM   #5
dwalend

Henry, you're allowed 40 AF south of the line, but only get 30 INF. Do you put five GEVs south of the line or keep all 20 of them north of it?
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:46 PM   #6
GrauGeist
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHorse View Post

Or not twice, anyway…
I've always found Ogre to be rather limiting - prefer Shockwave / ORP for the additional tactical, terrain and unit variety.
GrauGeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:56 AM   #7
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalend View Post
Henry, you're allowed 40 AF south of the line, but only get 30 INF. Do you put five GEVs south of the line or keep all 20 of them north of it?
The problem with showing up with just a few GEVs is called missiles. At best these can be stationed to be just out of missile reach on a full charge, possibly slowing down the Ogre by one hex.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:57 AM   #8
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHorse View Post

Or not twice, anyway…
My dream has always been to spring this trap on Evil Stevie at a convention and leave him saying "What, what, what?" Candace Flynn style at the table.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:50 PM   #9
terryocarroll

This is what I love about Ogre, there are so many different defenses you can try. It's got a lot of depth in that regard.
terryocarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #10
griffon8

Just to be clear: all armor units for this strategy are GEVs?