Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 03-18-2019, 03:04 PM   #1
Maximum7

Default What can be improved on navicomputers for Hyperspace?

I’m writing a story about a scientist who is called to investigate the sudden expansion of the supermassive black hole in the center of the galaxy. In the meantime, he is working on a project. I asked John Jackson Miller himself what he could be working on and he said something to do with improving navicomputers. That meshes well on what I’m looking for as I want him to do something related to Hyperspace and navicomputers are used to make Hyperspace jumps. What could the scientist be working on in order to make navicomputers better or more efficient?
Maximum7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:56 PM   #2
Kax

Default Re: What can be improved on navicomputers for Hyperspace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum7 View Post
I’m writing a story about a scientist who is called to investigate the sudden expansion of the supermassive black hole in the center of the galaxy. In the meantime, he is working on a project. I asked John Jackson Miller himself what he could be working on and he said something to do with improving navicomputers. That meshes well on what I’m looking for as I want him to do something related to Hyperspace and navicomputers are used to make Hyperspace jumps. What could the scientist be working on in order to make navicomputers better or more efficient?

Depends. Where are they now inefficient?

Speed? Accurracy? Useful range, both maximum and minimum? Error detection? Spatial Anomaly detection? Power? Size? Ease of Use? Display accuracy? Display user-friendliness? Control user-friendliness? Colour pattern? Scent?

Lots of possibilities.

Find the hole and fill it.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:58 PM   #3
Irish Wolf

Default Re: What can be improved on navicomputers for Hyperspace?

One of the noted difficulties with hyperdrive is its tendency to stop working when close to a gravitic point-source - a planet or star, for instance.

Refinements to the functioning of a navicomputer might enable one to plot a course that can approach a gravitic source more closely without disengaging hyperdrive, thus making navigation through stellar clusters less difficult. This would, of course, have obvious implications when one needs to investigate anomalies regarding the galactic core...

If you break the laws of God, you go to Hell.

If you break the laws of Physics, you go to Sweden and receive a Nobel Prize.
Irish Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
computers, ftl, navigation, science, star wars