Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 03-18-2019, 04:46 PM   #21
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Dungeon Dinosaurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
I like dinosaurs but in a Norse-ish setting I would tend to like that they be a sort of dragon...
Inversely I think my next DF Character needs to be a Gangaešla Barbarian animal trainer that keeps a pack of female ešślfur as hunters* and for their delicious large eggs.

* Also because he'd be small enough to ride one as a mount!

Ešślfur = ešla+ślfur = lizard wolves, or Deinonychus antirrhopus.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:49 PM   #22
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
I would suggest that these “dinosaurs” be powered up a little so they can deal with Scouts who love to shoot out the eyes of monsters (maybe eye DR like dragons have).
Smaller ones could have decent dodges, larger ones better armor (and nictitating membranes).
Old 03-18-2019, 06:51 PM   #23
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
They're there because they're awesome. . . . Nordlond is not "historical vikings." It's "norse-inspired," which means taking the culture and customs and flavor of the legends and cosmology and bouncing many Dungeon Fantasy RPG tropes off of it and seeing how they taste.
Good! This approaches my personal taste, too. I have enjoyed playing in historical campaigns, but they're definitely not dungeon fantasy.

My main DF campaign setting is inspirited by the Arabian Nights and related folklore. But the setting grew out of my older D&D games, so it's got the usual fantasy races (reskinned a bit), an inverted energy pyramid (i.e., absurd numbers of apex predators), a hefty injection of Lovecraftian elder things, and gobs of folklore robbed from other mythologies. It has totally worked for my groups of nerdy academic types. In the rare instance where someone was seriously bothered about a thematic element, we collaborated to shore up the in-setting context. For the most part, though, it's just a rich, fun, surprising place to set adventures.

If I enjoy gaming in Noršlond as much as I think I will, it will be glued onto the world, taking the absurdity and the potential for awesome stories up another few notches. I foresee adventures with Vikings on dinosaurs riding beside bedouins on skis. Sweet!
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:09 PM   #24
martinl

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Smaller ones could have decent dodges, larger ones better armor (and nictitating membranes).
Domestic ones (for riding) could have heavy crystal lenses over their eyes. If they are naturally nocturnal, the daylight lenses would be smoked crystal.

Yes, I AM suggesting lizardmen riding in on a T-Rex wearing wicked cool shades, why do you ask?
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:32 PM   #25
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Inversely I think my next DF Character needs to be a Gangaešla Barbarian animal trainer that keeps a pack of female ešślfur as hunters* and for their delicious large eggs.
My take on the Gangaešla as a PC race for DF/DFRPG:

Gangaešla Fuglsmašur [0]

Attribute Modifiers: ST +1 [10]; DX +2 [40]; IQ - 3 [-60]; Will +2 [10]; Per +3 [15].
Advantages: Damage Resistance 1 [5]; Discriminatory Smell [15]; Discriminatory Taste [10]; Nictitating Membrane 2 [2]; Reduced Consumption 2 (Cast-Iron Stomach) [2]; Resistant to Disease (+3) [3]; Sharp Teeth [1]; Striking ST +2 (Bite Only, -60%) [4].
Disadvantages: Bloodlust (12) [-10]; Disturbing Voice [-10]; Gluttony (9) [-7]; Odious Racial Habit (Eats other sentients) [-15]; Social Stigma (Monster) [-15].
Features: Born Biter. Head armor isn’t interchangeable with human head armor (must be custom made). Due to inability to speak non-reptilian/draconian languages very well (they always have an Accent) can never buy Social Stigma to better than Social Stigma (Savage) [-10]. Covered in small feathers*.

* This is my image of them. Yours of course might have "Covered in green scales". Or whatever.

NOTES: I gave them Striking ST so their bite damage will match the bite damage in the monster stat block, Disturbing Voice and Nictitating Membranes because the other Reptile folk had those, and the Feature of not being able to buy off Social Stigma completely as the Reptile folk in DF cannot learn non-reptile languages above Accented (so they'll always be 'Hssskers' to common folk).

Last edited by evileeyore; 03-21-2019 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:48 PM   #26
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
My take on the Gangaešla as a PC race for DF/DFRPG:

Gangaešla [0]

Attribute Modifiers: ST +1 [10]; DX +2 [40]; IQ - 3 [-60]; Will +2 [10]; Per +3 [15].
Advantages: Damage Resistance 1 [5]; Discriminatory Smell [15]; Discriminatory Taste [10]; Nictitating Membrane 2 [2]; Reduced Consumption 2 (Cast-Iron Stomach) [2]; Resistant to Disease (+3) [3]; Sharp Teeth [1]; Striking ST +2 (Bite Only, -60%) [4].
Disadvantages: Bloodlust (12) [-10]; Disturbing Voice [-10]; Gluttony (9) [-7]; Odious Racial Habit (Eats other sentients) [-15]; Social Stigma (Monster) [-15].
Features: Born Biter. Head armor isn’t interchangeable with human head armor (must be custom made). Due to inability to speak non-reptilian/draconian languages very well (they always have an Accent) can never buy Social Stigma to better than Social Stigma (Savage) [-10]. Covered in small feathers*.

* This is my image of them. Yours of course might have "Covered in green scales". Or whatever.

NOTES: I gave them Striking ST so their bite damage will match the bite damage in the monster stat block, Disturbing Voice and Nictitating Membranes because the other Reptile folk had those, and the Feature of not being able to buy off Social Stigma completely as the Reptile folk in DF cannot learn non-reptile languages above Accented (so they'll always be 'Hssskers' to common folk).
In the Nordlond version of the setting, ethlafolk and gangaethla are stand-ins for lizard-folk and kobolds from D&D. Since their stats haven't appeared anywhere yet, I have some freedom in choosing what they are.

I will likely err towards "you need a lot of them to overwhelm a 250-point DF character," because I want Citadel to also be compatible with lower-point play.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:27 PM   #27
b-dog

Quote:
In the Nordlond version of the setting, ethlafolk and gangaethla are stand-ins for lizard-folk and kobolds from D&D. Since their stats haven't appeared anywhere yet, I have some freedom in choosing what they are.

I will likely err towards "you need a lot of them to overwhelm a 250-point DF character," because I want Citadel to also be compatible with lower-point play.
Are there any fairy versions of kobolds? Like more in line with the myths? Or maybe even knockers that make people crazy when they hear them knocking in caves?
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:38 PM   #28
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Are there any fairy versions of kobolds? Like more in line with the myths? Or maybe even knockers that make people crazy when they hear them knocking in caves?
Not that I know of. These are dragonkin, not related to fae at all.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:49 PM   #29
b-dog

Quote:
Not that I know of. These are dragonkin, not related to fae at all.
Are kobolds in the Norse myths or are they too Germanic for your setting? A Fairy shapeshifter versión of kobolds would be cool though and likely be powerful enough to cause real trouble for PCs.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:59 PM   #30
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:

Totes cool. These guys are straight up Dinomen. So if you have a better name for the race, I'll play ball (I admit that the nord languages are not my strong suit).

Hmmm... Dinosaur is risaešla, men is mašur or karlar in Icelandic... Risaešur? (According to google translate which has a strong babblefish smell to it)