Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-24-2016, 09:52 AM   #531
Kalzazz

Default Re: Mailanka's Musings -- GURPS Content Post

One thing which would help her is that I believe she should get more from her Weapon Master, here is a RPK post on Weapon Master adding to all dice, including ones granted by the weapon

http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...21&postcount=4
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 10:15 AM   #532
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
One thing which would help her is that I believe she should get more from her Weapon Master, here is a RPK post on Weapon Master adding to all dice, including ones granted by the weapon

http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...21&postcount=4
You're right. I've completely forgotten her weapon master damage bonus. She deals 1d+1 swing, and a vibro-bade deals +1d+2, so she has a 2d+3 base. Her weapon master should give her +4, so she deals 2d+7, which means her average armor penetration is 70, which is pretty decent, actually.

So, it's more believable than I realized that she'd totally take down a heavily armored guy by surprise (especially given that he's a mook, technically), and she probably would have killed Leylana. She also would have damaged DD-6.

Perhaps I should worry less about vibro-weapons.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:18 AM   #533
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
So her dropping the guard by ambush wasn't just 'kill the redshirts first' villain logic, he actually was a legit target

And the other guard might have had a legit shot at helping fight Tane
Oh yes, these guys are dreadfully powerful, far more of a threat than Leylana or Novina.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:50 PM   #534
Mailanka

Today, I end Iteration 4, including a discussion of what worked and what didn't, and most importantly, complete Psi-Wars documents. The primer has also been updated.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:00 AM   #535
Mailanka

And today, we begin Iteration 5: Psi-Wars as a Generic Setting

Double Trouble Bonus: "Who gives a sh*t? A meditation on setting design."
Old 12-08-2016, 09:24 AM   #536
A Ladder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka
If she's one of my readers, she got terribly excited when I wrote Communion stuff, and has been somewhat lukewarm for the rest of the time (unless she likes meta stuff, then she's happy).
Oh God. I'm a Willow. All the Communion stuff, yeah I read that multiple times. Everything else, not so much. Unless it was the meta things, then I read those. So, yeah, I'm a super Willow. Except I'm a guy. So I'm a William??

My players are a Bjorn/Willow and Bjorn/Brent hybrid, and then like five more Brents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Gotta be fast to escape the propaganda machine of Viking swiftness
A Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:47 AM   #537
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Ladder View Post
Oh God. I'm a Willow. All the Communion stuff, yeah I read that multiple times.
Counter Argument:

Quote:
Everything else, not so much.
That's very typical of Brent "Eh, this doesn't interest me that much. I'll skim it at best."

Quote:
Unless it was the meta things, then I read those.
Bjorn-ish here, perhaps, in the sense that it focuses on "What will help me with my campaign?" which is to a GM what mechanics is to a player.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:59 AM   #538
A Ladder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
Counter Argument:
That's very typical of Brent "Eh, this doesn't interest me that much. I'll skim it at best."
Bjorn-ish here, perhaps, in the sense that it focuses on "What will help me with my campaign?" which is to a GM what mechanics is to a player.
*wailing while on knees* Nooooooooo! I'm all of them! ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Gotta be fast to escape the propaganda machine of Viking swiftness
A Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:07 AM   #539
Kalzazz

Totally call Brent. I don't want to prepare to game, I want to just game, and if I can con the DM into making a character for me all the better. Let's skip all this prep nonsense and get right to rolling dice and killing things

Gaming is one of my favorite things to do . . . but prep work? Ugh! I'd rather goof off on internet forums or watch cartoons or catch up on baseball news or read a book, and I'm only going to read the setting document if its actually a fun read or the DM beats me with a whip

So your setting document thus needs to be fun and entertaining enough on its own merits to be worth reading, rather than some dull tome (which good RPG books usually are!)
Old 12-08-2016, 11:30 AM   #540
Kalzazz

As a note, my two biggest complaints on setting are

1. They aren't something that interests me . . . if the basic premise isn't interesting to me, then I won't really want to run it. Banestorm for instance fits this category, I just have no interest in fantasy with non fantasy religions and its take on clerics

2. There isn't enough 'heft', the setting is interesting and I like it, but there isn't enough there to really get a good idea on it, so its just easier to wing it from the begginning, or if I don't have a good feel how to wing the setting book doesn't bring enough to bridge the gap. Roma Arcana and Tales of the Solar Patrol both fit this category. I love Magic Rome and I love 'I Can't Believe its Not Flash Gordon'. I have run my own Magic Rome stuff (called Primus Republic) off the top of my own head, and still lack any good notion to run 'Faux Flash Gordon'.

I have run GURPS Ptolus, because Ptolus is both interesting and has heft

Tags
blog, blogs, determined attack, telegraphic attack