Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-17-2019, 03:12 AM   #1
Dinadon

Default Wait to Committed Attack

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but my search-fu is weak. Can someone point me to discussions on how Wait and Committed Attack combine? Is it like Attack or All-Out Attack?
Dinadon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:50 AM   #2
Anaraxes

Default Re: Wait to Committed Attack

Committed Attack is a new Maneuver; see MA99. So if you're speaking strictly, it's neither like Attack nor All-out Attack. Committed Attack is allowed as one of the Maneuvers you can choose with Wait (MA108). You do have to specify in advance whether that's CA (Determined) or CA (Strong).

In that you have to specify the exact variant of the Maneuver, it is like All-out Attack. You don't have to specify hit locations or options like Rapid Strike, but you do have to choose the Determined/Strong type of "sub-maneuver".
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:23 AM   #3
Dinadon

And for Active Defenses? That's a principle difference between Waits to Attack and Waits to All-Out Attack.
Dinadon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:40 PM   #4
Rupert

The same as for a Wait to All-out Attack, I would assume. That is, if you make an active defence that is illegal for your Committed Attack, you must switch to merely an attack. So, don't parry with the weapon you intend to use, and accept that -2 to your defence.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:37 PM   #5
Anaraxes

Committed Attack also disallows retreating.

I agree with the general principle that Rupert mentions: violating a limit of your attack-type Maneuver while Waiting means your Wait will convert to a regular Attack instead.

While waiting, you have whatever defense options you'd have based on your Maneuver from before the Wait. (If you were limited to the choices in your Wait option, then there wouldn't be a need for the conversion rule -- so that must not be the way that it's supposed to work. But it would perhaps be a reasonable houserule to say that you're limited by your intended option from the time the Wait is declared until your next turn after the Wait is actually resolved.)

Last edited by Anaraxes; 03-17-2019 at 08:42 PM.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:17 AM   #6
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Committed Attack is allowed as one of the Maneuvers you can choose with Wait (MA108). You do have to specify in advance whether that's CA (Determined) or CA (Strong).

In that you have to specify the exact variant of the Maneuver, it is like All-out Attack. You don't have to specify hit locations or options like Rapid Strike, but you do have to choose the Determined/Strong type of "sub-maneuver".
"The new maneuvers Committed Attack (pp. 99-100) and Defensive Attack (p. 100) are both valid responses. If you choose Committed Attack, you must specify in advance whether it will be Determined or Strong." specifically.

I imagine that AOA (Long) from MA and CA (Long) from TG are both also valid Wait responses.

B366 doesn't mention Wait being able to transform into Concentrate. This makes me wonder, if you wanted to do Wait-like Concentrates as a mage, would Compartmentalized Mind be mandatory so that it could piggyback on an allowed maneuver...

Wait>Change Posture is also off the table (like Move or Move and Attack) which makes me wonder how Waits interact with stuff like Acrobatic Stand. Since that becomes a Change Posture on a failure, you shouldn't be able to Wait>Acrobatic Stand, but perhaps you could Acrobatic Stand>Wait?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote