Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-04-2019, 01:19 AM   #1
Belisar

Default Looking for fan conversions of following settings

Being new to GURPS I wanted to ask if somebody made a conversion of following settings to GURPS (or knows a link directing to some) and wants to share it:

- Star Wars
- Conan
- Lord of the Rings
- Mass Effect
- Borderlands

It would be very helpful to see how others do conversions before I try to do some myself. :)
Belisar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:44 AM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: Looking for fan conversions of following settings

Well there's a licensed GURPS Conan so there probably aren't any fan adaptations of that 'un.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:23 AM   #3
Lord Azagthoth

I can send you the pdf's and GCA4 files for Star Wars.

Dark Lord Azagthoth

Star Wars - TRPG
Lord Azagthoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:03 AM   #4
Belisar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Azagthoth View Post
I can send you the pdf's and GCA4 files for Star Wars.
PM sent, thank you very much :)
Old 02-04-2019, 03:05 AM   #5
Belisar

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Well there's a licensed GURPS Conan so there probably aren't any fan adaptations of that 'un.
I see the pdfs in the store, now. They are 3rd edition. Is there some kind of conversion document to 4th for those? Because if it's mostly about lore I have tons of 2D20 and D20 stuff from Modiphius and Mongoose.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:48 AM   #6
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belisar View Post
I see the pdfs in the store, now. They are 3rd edition. Is there some kind of conversion document to 4th for those? Because if it's mostly about lore I have tons of 2D20 and D20 stuff from Modiphius and Mongoose.
GURPS Update converts from Third to Fourth. Also in the store each book has a free preview that gives a good idea whats in the book, including the Table of Contents. If you have other resources I doubt the Conan books will be really useful to you.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:13 AM   #7
khorboth

I've been working on LOTR for a while personally. Non-magical equipment is no problem, and racial templates are mostly easy. There are some in Fantasy, though I haven't written them up a formal LOTR version. Fantasy is mostly a fluff book, but it has some guidance on racial templates. If I have the spare time, I will try to start a new thread for the racial templates of Middle Earth.

The hard part is the magic system. It's really hard to model "The narrator goes on about history for a page and then something unlikely happens."

The easy way to model magic would be basically like what Tolkien did: limit it to NPCs and only use it narratively, but give out cool magic items.

Option 2: Put in some other magic system, but acknowledge that there will be more and flashier magic than there was in the books.

Option 3: Allow magic in some way which makes it difficult and not-flashy. I haven't found a good way to do this.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:25 AM   #8
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I think Lord of the rings magic is mostly about mind control/influencing, crafting, and signature effects associated with individuals, like gandalf's skill with fire or the ring wraith's infection effects. Most magic only shows up at extreme power levels.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:31 AM   #9
khorboth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I think Lord of the rings magic is mostly about mind control/influencing, crafting, and signature effects associated with individuals, like gandalf's skill with fire or the ring wraith's infection effects. Most magic only shows up at extreme power levels.
I started a big response to this, but decided it's better in a spin-off thread. So... I'm spinning it off.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:18 PM   #10
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belisar View Post
There is, yes, but it doesn't make much difference anyway because Conan's setting doesn't contain the kind of things that are big changes between the editions. Point values for characters would be a bit different but but that's pretty trivial.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote