Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #81
Ack

Default Re: grappling a flier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
I'm quite fond of physics, but physics makes a pretty poor game system.
Why?

Okay, apart from things like flight, for which you say "this works like this" because, you know, we can describe the ability to fly ...

... physics has a comprehensive ruleset, it's internally consistent, and it's intuitive. GURPS generally has rules that manage to reflect physics fairly well, if a little on the cinematic side, but hey. This is why it's one of my favourite game systems.

The Grappling rules are realistic while you are referring to people who can't fly, in a gravity field, on any sort of area that allows traction. Once you remove one or more of those factors, certain aspects no longer work.
For instance, the "cannot move off if not more than twice ST of opponent" is about the fact that it's actually quite hard to move away from someone on the ground, if they have a solid grip on you. If the ground offers friction, unless you are significantly stronger than they are, it just devolves into a lot of wasted effort.

But once that aspect of flight comes into it, so long as we are not inserting imaginary concepts such as "super inertia" into the mix, if the grapple-ee has the capacity to lift the grappler ... then he can do it. The factor that stopped movement before - the friction of the floor - simply no longer applies.

Therefore, so long as we are working with "massless" ST, the Grapple rules do not prevent a person from flying off with the grappler, provided he is strong enough to do so.
Ack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #82
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ack View Post
Why?

Okay, apart from things like flight, for which you say "this works like this" because, you know, we can describe the ability to fly ...

... physics has a comprehensive ruleset, it's internally consistent, and it's intuitive. GURPS generally has rules that manage to reflect physics fairly well, if a little on the cinematic side, but hey. This is why it's one of my favourite game systems.
Reflecting physics well is something I like in a game system too.

Physics itself is not a good game system. Which is what I wrote.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #83
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

This seems like a great place to take GM-to-player conversation offline.
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #84
Mirtai

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
This seems like a great place to take GM-to-player conversation offline.
Agreed. Sorry about that.
Mirtai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kromm answer, kromm explanation