Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-23-2020, 10:36 PM   #31
Rupert

Default Re: [Spaceships] Questions for Open Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pectus Solentis View Post
Can people take a rest on the Farm? When people can do, then the use of Garden in my vessel will be vanished.
I'm sure some people can, but it's not living space and if it's full of food-producing plants and stuff there won't be room for a great many people to be there at once.

Having people take turns to do a bit of simple work in there and relax a bit would be fine. Having a bunch of people sleeping in there probably would not.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:45 PM   #32
Pectus Solentis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
Hydroponics systems are supposed to need about 200 ft^2 per person, which means about 10 people per open space. That's in the ballpark for SM+8 ships. For larger ones, there comes a problem in the RAW, because of the slower growth of Open Spaces.
What does "RAW" mean? Just "raw"?
Pectus Solentis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:48 PM   #33
Pectus Solentis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
I'm sure some people can, but it's not living space and if it's full of food-producing plants and stuff there won't be room for a great many people to be there at once.

Having people take turns to do a bit of simple work in there and relax a bit would be fine. Having a bunch of people sleeping in there probably would not.
Well, I think in the TL10+ spacecraft Microbot Swarm will do the all works - to grow, manure, harvest... - need to manage a farm.

Last edited by Pectus Solentis; 09-24-2020 at 03:01 AM.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:55 AM   #34
Celjabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pectus Solentis View Post
What does "RAW" mean? Just "raw"?
Rules as Written,

meaning either
a literal reading of the rules, without interpretation,
or sometimes
the rules in the official books as opposed to houserules.
Celjabba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 02:50 AM   #35
Pectus Solentis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
Rules as Written,

meaning either
a literal reading of the rules, without interpretation,
or sometimes
the rules in the official books as opposed to houserules.
Thanks for letting me know.
Old 09-25-2020, 01:57 AM   #36
Pectus Solentis

I made Multi-floored Open Space as my house-rule system.

SM+ 8 : 1 Area, 0.1M$
SM+ 9 : 3 Areas, 0.3M$
SM+10 : 10 Areas, 1M$, 1 Workspace
SM+11 : 30 Areas, 3M$, 3 Workspaces
SM+12 : 100 Areas, 10M$, 10 Workspaces
SM+13 : 300 Areas, 30M$, 30 Workspaces
And so on.

So when I use Multi-floored Open Space system to my Prospector Pioneer Mothership 40 cabins correspond to 6 multi-floored open space areas and it satisfies my setup for the indoor gardens.
(Here is my link to my sheet of Prospector Pioneer Mothership : http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...2&postcount=29)

But there are still unsolved questions remained :

1. Should Open Space Farms be in the Multi-floored Open Space systems? Or should it be in the Single-floored Open Space systems? When Open Space Farms are setted in Single-floored Open Space Systems, the ratio between OSF and the other components in spaceships will go less while spaceships' SM increases.

2. I still wonder the assumption that 100 people occupying 1 Open Space Area (0.05 acre, app. 200m^2) seems be too cramped when really occupied by 100 people. So I setted up that the indoor gardens' (which is set in Multi-floored Open Space) passenger capacity is still 100 (as if the gardens are set in Single-floored Open Space) in my Prospector Pioneer Mothership. Then app. 16-17 people occupy the each floor of 6-floored Indoor Gardens and it seems comfortable.

3. Can passengers occupy Open Space Farms like they occupy the other sorts of Open Space (like Tennis Court, Theater, Concert...) ? When thinking that Gardens yield foodstuffs too RAW, then I think passengers can occupy Farms like they do Gardens, but there is no explicit rules that passengers can occupy (and rest in) Farms or not.

Last edited by Pectus Solentis; 09-25-2020 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Word Correction : 1-floored -> Single-floored
Old 09-25-2020, 05:40 AM   #37
AlexanderHowl

Here is a question. At TL9+, why not just use a biological minifac to produce food? Each biological minifac can produce $500 worth of food per hour, which means that it can produce enough gourmet food every hour to supply the daily needs of 25 people (working 24/7, each could produce enough gourmet food per day for 600 people). While it does cost $0.5M per biological minifac, I think that it would be well worth the expense for people to dine on fresh salmon rather than fresh soy.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 05:48 AM   #38
Pectus Solentis

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Here is a question. At TL9+, why not just use a biological minifac to produce food? Each biological minifac can produce $500 worth of food per hour, which means that it can produce enough gourmet food every hour to supply the daily needs of 25 people (working 24/7, each could produce enough gourmet food per day for 600 people). While it does cost $0.5M per biological minifac, I think that it would be well worth the expense for people to dine on fresh salmon rather than fresh soy.
Well, I had the same question that why Nanofac doesn't produce foods. My guess is that Nanofac, Biological Minifac. etc... still needs foodstuffs to be processed to meals so they aren't counted as Food Manufacturers.
As you know, RAW only the Replicator can substitute Open Space Farms to manufacture foods.

Why Nanofac, Biological Minifac, etc... doesn't make supply cost for groceries low is the another question. I think Nanofac can produce foods with just any kinds of organic matters.

Last edited by Pectus Solentis; 09-25-2020 at 06:00 AM.
Old 09-25-2020, 06:26 AM   #39
Aldric

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I guess because you still need that 1 ton per 500 man-day of raw materials which cost about 4k. But since the first book makes no mention of biological minifacs, there may be something else going on from books I don't have access to.
Aldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:56 AM   #40
AlexanderHowl

It is in Spaceships 7, they are also discussed in Biotech. The technology is coming online IRL, by the way, as the first rollout is supposed to happen late-2021 or early-2022. While it is first cultured meat depending on a vegetable growth medium, there is no particular reason why it cannot eventually use a bacterial growth medium to grow any biological product.

As for the materials, recycled biological material should be acceptable inputs. The sequence for a mature biological minifac technology would probably look like this. Bacteria would digest the recycled biological material and be converted into a growth medium for the cell cultures. The cell cultures would grow and be harvested continuously, though the system would likely need new inputs and replacement cell cultures every year (which would be covered by normal maintenance).

Last edited by AlexanderHowl; 09-25-2020 at 08:02 AM.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote