Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-20-2020, 07:55 AM   #61
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: PDF Challenge Mix and Match (66 Combos)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
As so often happens, the two car pdf's work well together. How likely are monster hunters to have the high-end vehicles they need here? And this sounds like exactly the sort of nonsense tomorrow's rides encourages.
Judging by our self-financed MH team, they definitely won't have such cars. The one we usually use has been wrecked twice already, but RPM magic can fix it fairly easily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
I haven't got round to reading Tomorrow Rides yet, but they're certainly one option for equipping a MH team. Would the organisation have a monster-hunting arm?
It's a car engineering and testing organisation. Its backers might have a separate monster hunting organisation.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:17 AM   #62
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
I haven't got round to reading Tomorrow Rides yet, but they're certainly one option for equipping a MH team. Would the organisation have a monster-hunting arm?
I'd rather expect monster hunting organizations to have an arrangement with tomorrow's rides. The hunters will have plenty of odd and exciting things to do with cars, and tomorrows rides will have plenty of mostly disposable vehicles.

I can also imagine the driver of tomorrow's rides running into monsters fairly often, tomorrow's rides providing a steady stream of tips to a dedicated monster hunting organization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Judging by our self-financed MH team, they definitely won't have such cars. The one we usually use has been wrecked twice already, but RPM magic can fix it fairly easily.
That's really the strength of tomorrow's rides: it gives vehicles to adventures that need them, but its also limits the use of the vehicle to the actual adventure.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:36 AM   #63
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

36a: Warzone Tests
36) GURPS Boardroom and Curia: Tomorrow Rides and GURPS Action 7: Mercenaries

In the last few years, tomorrow's rides has begun extending its operations to active conflict zones, chasing opportunities for good exciting data. From reaching isolated villages to sneaking vehicles past combatants to deliver humanitarian supplies, these vehicles face some of the most extreme testing conditions possible. Bad roads, low-quality fuel, heavy abuse, and gunfire: its all there. The hard part is finding folks who will report things properly....

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 09-28-2020, 07:05 PM   #64
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Combination 37a: Knights in Shining Autos
37) GURPS Horror: Beyond the Pale and GURPS Action 6: Tricked-Out Rides

You've figured out what you're up against, and you're looking at how to defeat it. They move slowly, soak up bullets, and only need to touch you in order to turn you inside out. You don't have access to magic. So what do you use? Cars. Shiny metal nearly sealed boxes that move at high speed. The drawn can't interact well with the exteriors, and the large area damage of an auto impact can be repeated again and again.

So strap in, because we're going to teach these ancient horrors a thing or two about the modern world.

Old 09-28-2020, 07:17 PM   #65
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Combination 38a: Angel Hunters
38) GURPS Horror: Beyond the Pale and GURPS Hot Spots: The Incense Trail

The Ancient World is home to dozens of deities, and their many servitors, each ruling small realms. All hungry for savory incense. All jealous of their worshipers and cities. And all building unique monsters.

Heroes must learn to defeat these monsters if their families and cities are to survive. If they are to be remembered. If they are to avoid gruesome fates... but it may be a good idea to avoid offending more Gods as you do so...

Old 09-29-2020, 08:50 AM   #66
thorr-kan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Combination 37a: Knights in Shining Autos
37) GURPS Horror: Beyond the Pale and GURPS Action 6: Tricked-Out Rides

You've figured out what you're up against, and you're looking at how to defeat it. They move slowly, soak up bullets, and only need to touch you in order to turn you inside out. You don't have access to magic. So what do you use? Cars. Shiny metal nearly sealed boxes that move at high speed. The drawn can't interact well with the exteriors, and the large area damage of an auto impact can be repeated again and again.

So strap in, because we're going to teach these ancient horrors a thing or two about the modern world.
That's a good splatterpunk setting right there. Nicely done.
thorr-kan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:30 AM   #67
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Combination 39a: Black and White
39) GURPS Horror: Beyond the Pale and GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Adventure 3: Deep Night and the Star
Between the stars, demons of pure darkness lurk on a monstrous imitation of a star, hoping to feed on the life of earth. Deep with the color white, cruel monstrosities hope not to eat us, but to torture us to death for fun. And they carry a fued with one another. Something about each of them enrages the other. And this is fortunate. Destroying a monsterous not-star is a difficult task, fantasies about chain reactions aside. But may be possible to arrange for an invasion. Find a portal to beyond the pale, and transport it up to Atoep. Then try to make it out alive. Fortunately, the drawn can't go through atoep portals. Or so the research suggests.

Combination 39b: Denizens Of Atoep
39) GURPS Horror: Beyond the Pale and GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Adventure 3: Deep Night and the Star
Atoep is best known for being home to demons from between the stars, but it houses other horrors as well. While lacking the characteristic human shape of the drawn on earth, Atoep has strange floating lights that reach out with pseudopods and transform their victims to death. Is this the original form of the drawn? Are they imitating some species that once lived on Atoep? And can you resist their deadly touch?

Old 10-02-2020, 05:29 AM   #68
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Combination 40a: Occult Detectives
40) GURPS Horror: Beyond the Pale and How to Be a GURPS GM: Ritual Path Magic

When something truly odd happens, the police quietly bring in consultants. The right consultants. People like you, with the gifts to understand what's going on. You've handled strange crimes before, but this is weird even for you. How did they die in such different ways? What motivates these particular creatures? Where did they come from? And when you meet them, will you be ready, or will their unusual nature catch you off guard?

Of all the magic systems you could throw at Horror: Beyond the Pale, (non-adept) RPM is probably the best fit, with the possible exception of book/path magic. It fits the feel, and gives the PC's the tools they need... while still leaving them vulnerable, especially if they are rash or reckles.

Last edited by ericthered; 10-02-2020 at 05:34 AM.
Old 10-04-2020, 06:50 AM   #69
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Combination 41a: Dark Servants of Creation
41) GURPS Horror: Beyond the Pale and GURPS Steampunk Setting: The Broken Clockwork World

When the God's ruled, their servitors were obedient. Imbued with fantastic power to shape life, these servitors moved in secret, observing the populace, and rewarding those who honored the Gods, and punishing those who did not. Able to assume any guise, and read the innermost thoughts of men, the servitors were like gods themselves. It was long speculated that perhaps the servitors were embryonic deities themselves.

That theory has fallen out of favor. The servitors have gone mad in a search for their masters, and the breaking of the world seems to unhinged them even further. They search for any who might know of why the world broke, and torture them to death. The once noble agents of honor and justice have turned into monsters of pain and death. Fortunately, they are not that numerous, and the priests suggest it may be possible to kill them... though that would probably not make their former masters happy.

Old 10-05-2020, 01:57 PM   #70
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Combination 42a: Horrors of Flesh
42) GURPS Horror: Beyond the Pale and GURPS Reign of Steel: Read the Sky
Just because robots took over the world doesn't mean that the ancient horrors of the world are gone. Somehow someone has drawn them into this world. It would have been nice if they were useful against robots. But for the most part, they're only interested in (or effective against) humans. When the SAS team returns from Tenby, they'll have some oddly gruesome murders to investigate...

Combination 42b: Eldritch Ending
42) GURPS Horror: Beyond the Pale and GURPS Reign of Steel: Read the Sky
The arcane is a place of terror. Some years ago, someone managed to open the arcane back into the world. The result was the collapse of civilization. Some of the monsters crave human flesh, human blood, human souls, or human suffering. Some of them just ask to not be annoyed. Those in England are among the lucky ones: The Fae rule here, and they don't seem to use humans as part of their lifecycle. But just because the most powerful local monsters don't want to eat you doesn't mean you're safe...