Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-06-2018, 03:52 AM   #21
Phantasm

Default Re: GURPS monsters/NPCs in D&D

I once used Low-Tech and its sub-line to equip a 1st level D&D3.5/Pathfinder character for a game. Somehow I ended up better equipped than the rest of the party. :)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 06-23-2021 at 07:56 AM.
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:02 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
I once used Low-Tech and its sub-line to equip a 1st level D&D3.5/Pathfinder character for a game. Somehow I ended up better equipped thanthe rest of the party. :)
That is awesome!
That's something I might want to do as well. We are super nit-picky about equipment, encumbrance etc so that sounds like really fun.
2097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:24 AM   #23
Stormcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2097 View Post
But since the rule at our table is that all enemy stats need to be fixed before we start, I have two options.
Do you mean each enemy must be statted before the adventure begins, or all enemies must have stats before the campaign begins?

If the former, just do what I said. Don't worry about what Joe the Guard's Constitution is; he's just a "normal man" or level 0 man with 1–6 hit points.

If the latter, then you're doomed. A precise mathematical conversion is unlikely, and will involve all the combination of traits I mentioned. You can't, for instance, just say HT-> CHA, because what if the GURPS character with 10 HT has three levels of Charisma and an 18 Leadership? You're going to have to account for every possible component of a D&D ability and find every influence on those components that exists in GURPS. It might not be impossible, but it'd be a monumental undertaking to get it mathematically correct.

FAR, far easier to just eyeball it and say "This D&D character seems to more or less describe the same character as this GURPS character."
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:20 PM   #24
maximara
On Notice

I tried a straight conversion...and it did not work well at all. So I went back to the drawing board and came up with an, admittedly complex, D&D to GURPS conversion (back in 1986). I have gone back to it from time to time and tweaked it so it isn't joined at the hip to any one version of D&D.

Unlike other conversions I have seen, mine makes use of advantages and suggests talents to tweak the attributes.

For example, STR->ST+Basic Lift (adj)+Lifting ST (adj)+Striking ST (adj)

I even included a step by step D&D Lich in GURPS conversion as well as did a write up of everybody's "favorite" Dragon Tiamat from AD&D1 and 2.

Just, don't try to use it with D&D4 as that thing was such a migraine that I found it easier to ignore it.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.

Last edited by maximara; 09-28-2020 at 11:26 PM.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:05 AM   #25
bocephus

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
I tried a straight conversion...and it did not work well at all. So I went back to the drawing board and came up with an, admittedly complex, D&D to GURPS conversion (back in 1986). I have gone back to it from time to time and tweaked it so it isn't joined at the hip to any one version of D&D.

Unlike other conversions I have seen, mine makes use of advantages and suggests talents to tweak the attributes.

For example, STR->ST+Basic Lift (adj)+Lifting ST (adj)+Striking ST (adj)

I even included a step by step D&D Lich in GURPS conversion as well as did a write up of everybody's "favorite" Dragon Tiamat from AD&D1 and 2.

Just, don't try to use it with D&D4 as that thing was such a migraine that I found it easier to ignore it.
Max, I dont know if you noticed (I have also done this before) you replied to a thread two years old. Interesting as it is, not sure how much response you will get :) Probably should have just made a new thread to talk about your conversions if thats new content.

**Edit** I just saw that the thread was referenced in a new post, which makes me happy so I can post my reply there **

Last edited by bocephus; 09-29-2020 at 01:11 AM.
bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversions, d&d