Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-20-2012, 10:18 PM   #11
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: As a "holy grail" for RPM casters how would you make a raise dead spell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I don't think I have whatever book that advantage is in.
GURPS Powers: Divine Favor.
Quote:
Retroactive sounds so munchkin-y even if R.A.W.
Really we've been down this road already with jeff_wilson's "reign of terror". It is in a call-out box specifically because it's only appropriate for games with a "revolving door afterlife". It is a deliberate analog of Raise Dead down to the "level draining" mechanics.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:25 PM   #12
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: As a "holy grail" for RPM casters how would you make a raise dead spell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
GURPS Powers: Divine Favor.
Really we've been down this road already with jeff_wilson's "reign of terror". It is in a call-out box specifically because it's only appropriate for games with a "revolving door afterlife". It is a deliberate analog of Raise Dead down to the "level draining" mechanics.
Really? I have Powers, and can't find it. Could you give a page reference, please?

Eh, still my opinion. But as I want a more extreme and rare version anyway, I guess it wouldn't quite fit as extra life, retroactive.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:28 PM   #13
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Really? I have Powers, and can't find it.
Not GURPS Powers. GURPS Powers: Divine Favor
Quote:
Could you give a page reference, please?
GURPS Powers: Divine Favor p 13.
Quote:
Eh, still my opinion. But as I want a more extreme and rare version anyway, I guess it wouldn't quite fit as extra life, retroactive.
Yes, which is why it is specifically in that call-out box. The regular Resurrection miracle is more extreme and difficult.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 05-20-2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:29 PM   #14
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Not GURPS Powers.GURPS Powers: Divine Favor Could Standby.
Yes, which is why it is specifically in that call-out box. The regular Resurrection prayer is more extreme and difficult.
Oh, I don't have that one, so no need on the pages.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:57 PM   #15
munin

Quote:
I don't think I have whatever book that advantage is in. ...
It's also a genre convention of the Monster Hunters series that you can buy Extra Life after you die (Miraculous Recoveries, MH1, p. 31). Using magic to do it would allow you to raise dead who don't have 25 unspent character points available to explain their recovery.

Last edited by munin; 05-20-2012 at 11:01 PM.
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:16 AM   #16
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Then you want Resurrection as described in Powers: Divine Favor, on pg 16. In short, its' an affliction that gives +2250% worth of advantages. This means it costs 450 energy just for that modifier (as per Monster Hunters 1, pg 34); meaning the spell is a big spell but not anything that a sufficiently large group of participants with a single caster can't spit out like clockwork.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:28 AM   #17
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by munin View Post
It's also a genre convention of the Monster Hunters series that you can buy Extra Life after you die (Miraculous Recoveries, MH1, p. 31). Using magic to do it would allow you to raise dead who don't have 25 unspent character points available to explain their recovery.
Which actually makes the Raise Dead power in P:DF a little redundant in MH games, since it is in a lot of ways Affliction (Right to purchase Extra Life retroactively).
Old 05-21-2012, 06:34 AM   #18
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Which actually makes the Raise Dead power in P:DF a little redundant in MH games, since it is in a lot of ways Affliction (Right to purchase Extra Life retroactively).
It lets you purchase it by losing spent points, which is a bit different.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:36 AM   #19
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Yes, but I think they were making the comparison just for a magical aesthetic reason, not to actually use the divine power.

I am using the RPM in a way not specifically intended as a Cabal style hidden magic lower point setting.
I want death to be a near insurmountable obstacle, not revolving door after life even for PCs.
Cabal's inability to get stadiums filled with willing energy donors will make huge energy goals near impossible.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:12 AM   #20
Bruno

Quote:
It lets you purchase it by losing spent points, which is a bit different.
Often straight off DX or IQ for that old-timy-feeling of being worse at everything you do!

But it doesn't seem to reduce your "racial maximum" in that attribute, and since 4e made spending points to raise attributes after play starts cost the same as at character creation, you can sink points into it again to get it back to where it was.

Depending on the philosophy of the player, it's like the GM having a lien on your character while you're in point debt, instead of just owing him points.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
resurrection, ritual path magic