Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 08-31-2004, 09:24 AM   #11
Kyoya

Default Re: Most common PC ship.

Custom ships aside my ship list mirrors Galifestus.
MIB #2289 | I host some GCA stuff
Kyoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 10:26 AM   #12
Mark Caliber

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb
A flying saucer 7 yards thick with a diameter of 32 yards?

Where do the turrets go? ;-)
Firstly, LOL on the boiled down description.

As far as the turrets go, the Adams Smith is unarmed, so the question is a moot point.

MY preconceived notions on the Turret if I were to patch a couple on are to put two on the top two on the bottom. From a top down wire view, the four turrets would form a bisemetric square based on the center of the ship.

Okay, if this browser didn't ignore spaces so agressively, a diagram WOULD have been forthcoming. <sigh> But in essence imagine a Square and a turret at each corner of the square. On the opposite angles you would have turrets on the same side of the ship (specifically top side and bottom side) in the configuration shown below.

T B

B T

In essence, this configuration allows a pilot to face any one enemy with the lowest target profile while allowing the turrets to engage a target from nearly every angle.

But that's just what I would do.

Now if you want just TWO turrets and say some forward mounted missile launchers (say two racks of missiles just port and starboard of the bridge) then you can mount the two turrets Top and Bottom in the dead center of the ship. BUT I forwarn you that if you follow that route, your players are likekly to name the ship something like the "Century Eagle" or the "Day Osprey" or maybe the "Month Kite."

edited to clarify content

Last edited by Mark Caliber; 08-31-2004 at 10:39 AM.
Mark Caliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 11:00 AM   #13
TheQuestionMan

A 400 dton Merchant Freighter modified by a deranged... ahem dedicated crew of professionals...<cough cough> (the PC's) More Mathematical Ability and Eidetic Memory than you can shake a stick at. A Q-Ship and sometime Buckeneer crew. Automated defense systems inside.

They are crazy

QM
Old 08-31-2004, 11:42 AM   #14
Jross007

[QUOTE=TheQuestionMan]A 400 dton Merchant Freighter modified by a deranged... ahem dedicated crew of professionals...<cough cough> (the PC's) More Mathematical Ability and Eidetic Memory than you can shake a stick at. A Q-Ship and sometime Buckeneer crew. Automated defense systems inside.

My second favorite ship was a 400 Dton Fat Trader upgraded to J-2 M-2 (before I got to spending WAY too much money on it.)
And with all 4 turrets made a good Q-ship. ANd still had cargo room enough to make a profit.
Before we ended I had it up to J-3 (best tech at the time) and M-4. Not much cargo, but we specialized in High Value , Low volume stuff.
But even hauling Freight we made enough to cover maintenance.(which doesn't say a whole lot though.)

They are crazy

Most of them are.<G>

John Ross
Jross007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 05:07 PM   #15
AndrewTBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKW
Given who designed that particular ship, I'm inclined to say these speculations are groundless.
Curses! Foiled again! I thought it was such an amusing explanation. :-)

Just out of curiosity, who did design the Empress Marava class?
AndrewTBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 07:12 PM   #16
far_trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewTBP

I'm a little curious now too, but only because of the strange coincidence of a friend seeing some of my ships mocked up as a chess set (in the works) a few weeks back. I was pondering which to make the Queen and which the King (between the 400T and 600T subbies) and he said well the 600T is obviously the Queen for it is well endowed and the 400T is rather phallic so it must be the King. Anyway I'd never really looked at them that way before and now I can't get the imagery out of my mind lol... and now you go and suggest the Empress has similar features...

Oh, most common, probably a tie between the type S and the type A for actually getting and using as players. I can't recall the one we pooled our resources for in a brief TNE game. Personal favorite, a type M(Q). Increased power and maneuver. Upgraded computer. 50t missile bay, and pop-turrets in two of the three hardpoints with only the wimpy sandcaster showing. Troops and the launch upgraded to a fast chase and boarding gig. And all still allowing a good show of it as a standard subbie on the route, until some hijacker or pirate shows their hand <eg>
far_trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 09:07 PM   #17
Six_Gun_Sam

The Broadsword Class Mercenary Cruiser.

Don't leave home without it!
Old 09-01-2004, 09:41 AM   #18
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six_Gun_Sam
The Broadsword Class Mercenary Cruiser.

Don't leave home without it!
And never use it against a planet that has fighter cover. ;-)
Old 09-01-2004, 09:26 PM   #19
LKW
GURPS Traveller Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewTBP

Marc Miller created the stats and the general layout, and Bill Keith drew the ship.
www.lorenwiseman.com
www.irbw.com
LKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 08:32 AM   #20
Jame

Alright, who came up with the Type-Y yacht, the Manta (from CT, the one that's in the GURPS book as the [uh] darnit, I forget the name, but there're two versions which look alike)?

http://www.coinich.com/traveller/portal.php is a Traveller site for a campaign in the Greater Boston, MA, USA area.
Jame is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
traveller