Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 01-03-2006, 03:38 AM   #11
Tiger Maggot
Banned

Default Re: Whats a Munchkin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Wanderer
My experience is that if someone yells Munchkin at you, its because you have optimized your character better than him
Your sig line says it all.
Tiger Maggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 06:04 AM   #12
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

I like the definition I once saw on RPGnet: a munchkin is the kind of roleplayer who, upon being told that the game will focus on political intrigue in fifteenth century Florence, asks to play a ninja.

In short it is a term for a player who doesn't care about the background of the game world or the enjoyment of the other players, only their own childish and tedious power fantasy. This generally involves having an ureasonably overpowered character, because that kind of person generally thinks of 'cool' and 'able to kill everyone I want to' as being closely related.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:04 AM   #13
Tom Kalbfus
Banned

What is the opposite of a Munchkin? Is it someone who goes into a dungeon filled with monsters wearing nothing but Bermuda shorts and armed with nothing but his two fists? Is it someone who enjoys creating new characters all the time, and tries using his wits and clever conversation against the monsters when all they want to do is kill him?
Tom Kalbfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:23 AM   #14
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Wanderer
I always thought that one is called EGOIST??? I once played in a group of Munchkins (everybody had ridiculous powerfull characters, considering their point levels), still everybody hat lots of fun, though you might not call it ROLEpg, it was more like Dungeon Hack...
I'm describing the sort of thing that causes my players to complain about someone's being a munchkin. I have never heard any gamer complain that another gamer is an "egoist."
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:34 AM   #15
quarkstomper

I knew a guy once in a Champions game who took Quadripalegic as a limitation so he could put more points into his power suit -- which he never took off.

In one game an enemy with reality-warping powers transformed his battle suit into orange jello. That was lovely.
quarkstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:39 AM   #16
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs
I'm describing the sort of thing that causes my players to complain about someone's being a munchkin. I have never heard any gamer complain that another gamer is an "egoist."
Nevertheless, the definition you propose doesn't recognize the munchkin's particular pathology being related to acquiring power, particularly with regards to killing ability. If I were to, say, play in a campaign set around Muslim resistance to the Crusades with a character named Fred Flintstone who drank heavily and sang show tunes, it would fit your definition but I doubt most people would call me a munchkin.

Me, I use the "Florentine ninja" definition mentioned upthread. It's funny and reminds me of the classical definition of chutzpa.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:40 AM   #17
zogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs
Munchkin: Someone who maximizes their own satisfaction in playing a role-playing game without consideration for the enjoyment of the other players or the integrity and viability of the campaign world.
This is the best formal definition I have ever seen of Munchkin, as it concisely addresses the real issue. Munchkinism usually does involve powergaming but that's a symptom not the disease.

Which is why people who min/max their characters in typical D&D games don't draw the term because what they are doing SUITS THE GAME.

As a non formal definition I really like the one Perfect Organism mentioned.
zogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 09:47 AM   #18
Doktor Teufel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarkstomper
I knew a guy once in a Champions game who took Quadripalegic as a limitation so he could put more points into his power suit -- which he never took off.
Alright, but what did you expect?

"Well, I suppose I'll take off my suit and . . . er . . . lay here on the floor for a while, guys. Yeah, that's the ticket. Can you send someone back in about 20 minutes to help me put it back on?"

If I were quadruplegic and had a power suit that helped me walk, I certainly would not remove it during an adventure unless forced to. I don't see that this is an example of munchkinism.
Doktor Teufel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 10:17 AM   #19
Der Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarkstomper
The beauty of GURPS he would have Quadriplegic (Mitigated by Powersuit)...
Old 01-03-2006, 11:10 AM   #20
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktor Teufel
Alright, but what did you expect?

If I were quadruplegic and had a power suit that helped me walk, I certainly would not remove it during an adventure unless forced to. I don't see that this is an example of munchkinism.
Sure it is. Although he was paraplegic rather than quadruplegic, the main character of the series M.A.N.T.I.S. *often* was out of his power suit.

A disadvantage that does not disadvantage the character isn't a disadvantage.

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote