Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-30-2013, 03:45 AM   #1
PseudoFenton

Default Death Checks penalised by injury like unconcious rolls?

Okay, I've reminding myself of this rule time and time again, you just roll straight up HT to avoid death. Unlike rolls to stay concious which take penalties equal to your multiple of HP under 0. Peter just stated again over on his blog post about dying, which reminded me of the fact again. However, I keep forgetting this rule, in the same way I'm always blind-sighted by the ability to force an opponent to reroll their attack against you with Luck. The rules just slip out of my brain and I start to work under wrong assumptions.

So, how much would it be worth, as a disadvantage, if this rule was the case (assuming it was a mandatory or optional personal trait, and not a setting option)? Ie, Death Checks are made with the same penalty as Unconscious checks are.

It'd clearly some sort of variant on Easy to Kill, except that it scales equal to injury, (which also technically allows you to exceed the limits of 'can't go below 3' making it possible to autofail if your HT is low enough and injury is high enough). At first it would do very little, but it would then quickly shift the probabilities against you, guaranteeing a death before -5xHP for many average and low HT characters.