Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 02-11-2011, 06:24 PM   #1
jeffrockson

Default Not-yet-a-Cleric resurrection?

I'm pretty sure I already know how this works, but I'd like some confirmation. A search with discard and resurrect returned all posts about end-of-turn combat discards in prep for the next turn. This question is instead about my turn.

I'm currently a Wizard. I have had a Cleric card for a while and would like to resurrect the Net Troll that's now at the top of the deck. My turn starts, but I can't replace my Wizard to use the Cleric ability without discarding the Wizard card, which covers up the Net Troll.

Did I lose my opportunity by not changing classes at the end of my previous turn?

Thanks for reading,

JeffRockson
jeffrockson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
That_Pasquale

Default Re: Not-yet-a-Cleric resurrection?

You're right that in that scenario discarding Wizard will cover Net Troll. What you could do to get around that, if you know you want to resurrect the Net Troll you could discard your Wizard class during the combat with the Net Troll, then at the start of your turn become a Cleric and use the resurrect to bring back Net Troll since it would have gone to the discard pile after you dumped your Wizard class.
That_Pasquale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:01 PM   #3
MunchkinMan

Bear in mind that you can discard your Race or Class at any time, and that means any time, not just during your turn. You can play a Race or Class at any time during your turn.

So, as was said by That_Pasquale, you could have discarded the Wizard before the Net Troll was discarded and started your turn by playing the Cleric and then snagging the Net Troll
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:39 PM   #4
jeffrockson

Oooo, good idea! I wasn't thinking that far out of the box, since it would leave me class-less for a while.

I would have to watch carefully to see that no other door cards in combat are played and thus could be ordered above the Net Troll, and then hope that the player whose turn it currently is wouldn't want to discard his or her own race/class to cover the Net Troll. That has happened before to prevent an easy win!

Thanks!
jeffrockson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:51 PM   #5
Kirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrockson View Post
I would have to watch carefully to see that no other door cards in combat are played and thus could be ordered above the Net Troll, and then hope that the player whose turn it currently is wouldn't want to discard his or her own race/class to cover the Net Troll. That has happened before to prevent an easy win!
Yes, but presumably Cleric is in your hand so discarding Wizard for no apparent reason in another munchkin's fight may raise some eyebrows, but the other players might not immediately connect the dots to conclude that you have a Cleric in hand and plan on using it to get the Troll.

If you are a good bluffer you might even offer to help the person fighting the Net Troll and discard your Wizard class as an assurance that you won't charm the monster against his wishes if he takes you as helper. Myself, I don't have the acting ability to pull that off, but if you do you should use it.
Kirt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleric, discard, resurrection