Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-24-2009, 05:02 PM   #1
sabanknight

Default Interesting and different "enemy" encounters

Hello, I run a modern gurps supers campaign and pretty much everyone in my group has taken the enemy disadvantage.

I have been trying to think up different and unique encounters with their enemy.

One character is a lawyer and his former employer is now his enemy through certain circumstances. Given his law background instead of simply going through a combat. I was thinking of having the corporation serve him a subpoena. However I have no clue how to pull this off. Maybe let him rep himself or hire another lawyer and have periodic rolls to see if he wins said court case?

Also looking for other ideas as well
sabanknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 05:39 PM   #2
knarf

Default Re: Interesting and different "enemy" encounters

Make it part of the plot. Remember that, in a dramatic plot, it's not the legal proceedings that matter, but that one key piece of evidence or confession on the stand. Make the story about that and it becomes 10 time more interesting.
knarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:24 PM   #3
LynGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabanknight View Post
. I was thinking of having the corporation serve him a subpoena. However I have no clue how to pull this off. Maybe let him rep himself or hire another lawyer and have periodic rolls to see if he wins said court case?
You can do that.. but only if his enemy is a Rival. Serve him that suboena right as the group takes off to do something thats going to make him choose between the Adventure or Serve in court or blow money on finding respesentation.

Or if the adventure is the court case, have his rival mess with his case/evidence. Pay off wittness to talk, force him to go thew subpoena cases on his own.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:37 AM   #4
The_Nightwatch

Maybe come up with something where his Enemy lawyer tries to get the PC believed to be, for example, someone who's picture is up at all the post offices. That puts the PC in the position of proving a) he's not Public Enemy #21, and b) trying to do it without giving away his "secret identity."
The_Nightwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:27 AM   #5
dynaman

Even more fun would be to tie it into something the PCs did in a previous adventure. Characters tend to at least BEND the law all the time.

Just saw an episode of UFO last night (brit show from 1969-70 about an alien defense force). One character was accused of espionage, in reality it was spies. As a red herring the prosecution and judge where both somewhat hostile to the alien defense organization and could have been hatching a plot to get them in trouble...

As an aside, UFO is an interesting show to watch for game plots dealing with a secret organization fighting a secret enemy - there are a number of plot points dealing with how that messes up the characters' personal lives (surprisingly so for a show from the late sixties)
dynaman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disadvantage, enemy