Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-30-2012, 10:30 AM   #411
DaltonS

Default Re: GURPS Spaceships Design Spreadsheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
1) shouldn't be a problem
2) I'll think on that. I'll probably add an "atmospheres" listing along with the depth.
Thanks!
Quote:
3) Already assumes "streamlining" if you have Force Wings for Air Performance 1 & 2, not streamlined for 3 & 4 (unless the ship actually has the streamlining option, in which case all profiles naturally assume streamlining)..
That's odd. When I didn't check Streamlining with Force Wings, Air Performance 1 & 2 used the unstreamlined airspeed.
Quote:
4) What numbered items, specifically, are you seeing show up or not show up. Remember that each number does not get it's own line; some similar items are grouped together (such as all Armor/DR/Force Screen options being on the same line, or all Fuel Used being on a single line) (p.s. if you're using Excel and can give me an example ship from the ones saved that would be useful).
I'm using Open Office. Here's the BBCode output (slightly tweaked) of an SM+5 Gypsy Caravan.
Quote:
CARAVAN CLASS PINNACE
PILOTING/TL10 (HIGH-PERFORMANCE SPACECRAFT) or PILOTING/TL10 (AEROSPACE)
Code:
 TL        Spacecraft       dST/dHP  Hnd/SR  HT      Move     LWt.    Load   SM      Occ      dDR   Range     Cost    
10^  Caravan Class Pinnace     20     -1/4   13  0.166667G/c   30   3.2 [1]  +5  5ASV [2,3]  2 [4]    —    $675.125k
Length: 30 yd. (90 ft.) Lift: 3.33333Gs Crush Depth: 333 ft.
Small Power Points: +2 / -2
Space Performance: sAccel: 0.166667Gs
Air Performance: aAccel: 0.166667Gs (3.7 mph/s) aSpeed: 1,000 mph (0.28 mps) Hnd/SR: -1/4

SHIP SYSTEMS
Code:
 FRONT                               | CENTER                                      | REAR                     
[1-2]   Armor - Light Alloy          | [1-2]   Armor - Light Alloy                 | [1-2]   Armor - Light Alloy            
          dDR 2                      |           dDR 2                             |           dDR 2                        
 [3]    Control Room                 | [3-5]   Habitat                             | [3-5]   Habitat                        
          Comm/Sensor: 4 / 1 Station |           0.9 Cabins                        |           0.9 Cabins                   
[4-5]   Habitat                      |  [6]    Smaller SM Systems                  |  [6]    Smaller SM Systems             
          0.6 Cabins                 |           SM+4                              |           SM+4                         
 [6]    Passenger Seating            |   [a]   Habitat                             |   [a!]  Contragravity Lifter           
          2 Seats                    |           0.1 Cabins                        |           3.33333Gs Lift               
                                     |   [b]   Cargo Hold                          |   [b!]  Reactionless Engine - Standard 
                                     |           0.5 Tons                          |           0.166667Gs [4,6,7]           
                                     |   [c‡]  Power Plant - Fusion Reactor        |   [c]   Habitat                        
                                     |           2 Power Points / 200 yr Fuel [5]  |           0.1 Cabins                   
                                     | [core]  Cargo Hold                          | [core]  Engine Room                    
                                     |           1.5 Tons                          |           1 Workspace
Design Switches, Features, & Notes: 1 Airlock (Capacity: 1 Person), Food Supplies: $250
CAMPAIGN OPTIONS: Reactionless Engine (Drive Field)
SHIP OPTIONS: Streamlined, Artificial Gravity
[1] Load includes: 0.7*tons of Crew & Passengers, 0.25*tons of Standard Food (125*man-days), 2*tons of Cargo Hold
[2] Plus 2 in Passenger Seats, [3] Crew Requirement: 1 Control Stations, 1 Workspaces, 1 Passenger Care
[4] Plus dDR 20 Drive Field

HABITATS
Code:
Qty.  Location            Type             Notes   
   1    Front   Cabin: Cramped           1 person
   2    Front   Steerage Cargo: Partial  0.5 tons
   1   Center   Passenger Cabin          2 person
   1    Rear    Passenger Cabin          2 person
Created using GURPS Spaceship Design Spreadsheet. GURPS Spaceships Design Spreadsheet is copyright © 2009-2012 Eric B. Smith. This spreadsheet is based on information contained in the GURPS Spaceships series of books.
Notes 5, 6 and 7 were referenced in the system descriptions but were not described in the Design Switches, Features, & Notes section.

Also note that I had to use 3 SM+5 plus 1 SM+4 Habitats to fit a full cabin in each of the Center and Rear hull sections. According to SS7 p5.
Quote:
A system that’s one SM larger occupies three times its usual number of locations, and has the statistics of a system for a larger ship.
Could you add a switch that can consolidate three consecutive identical systems in the same hull section into a one SM larger version?
Quote:
5)<tr> is missing, I can fix that. I think it's only missing in the top table - do you see anywhere else I missed something like that?
The closing tag for <th> cells should not be </td>. Also, there was no <h1> page header with the name of the craft.
Quote:
While NOWRAP is not needed in most cells, it is needed for some of the cells. And I didn't want to make the coding any more difficult by having to test whether it is necessary for all of them or not so I just used NOWRAP in all cells. HTML doesn't care about superfluous tags like that, and frankly I'm not too worried about them so long as it's properly formatted.
Perhaps you could insert a small style sheet at the top of the code describing all the element styles instead of using formatting attributes in the element tags.

Dalton "Yes, I'm an HTML geek" Spence

Last edited by DaltonS; 05-30-2012 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Added note on larger SM systems.
DaltonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #412
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
It should be possible to have three SM+12 ships with sails but connected by tethers or struts that then acts as a SM+13 ship, right?
Yes, but doing so means the sails become ineffective.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:50 AM   #413
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
It should be possible to have three SM+12 ships with sails but connected by tethers or struts that then acts as a SM+13 ship, right?

Edit: I'm tired, and not sure if the above sentence makes sense.
I doubt it. Light Sails are many many times larger than the body of the ship when unfurled; that's one reason why the sails have a limit of SM+12, because beyond that size any perturbations in the sail could cause them to sheer off.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:51 AM   #414
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Yes, but doing so means the sails become ineffective.
Why should 1/3+1/3+1/3 not equal 1, but N/A?
Either way, I wanted it as a brake not propulsion.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:53 AM   #415
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
I doubt it. Light Sails are many many times larger than the body of the ship when unfurled; that's one reason why the sails have a limit of SM+12, because beyond that size any perturbations in the sail could cause them to sheer off.
I was mainly thinking of mag(plasma) sails not light ones.
No biggie.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:55 AM   #416
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Because RAW. As for in-game/in-setting/physics reasons, that'd be better explored in its' own thread wouldn't it?
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:59 AM   #417
ericbsmith

Quote:
Because some things just become massively impractical for very large values of 1 :-)

More seriously, I assume the size limit for sails in GURPS Spaceships is there for a reason, having to do with practical physical limits of how large a sail can be.

Quote:
In space braking is just accelerating in reverse; you have all the same physical problems of accelerating with a massive sail.
Kaboom-baya.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #418
Flyndaran
Untagged

I understand now. I was just unusually dense playing around with the program while tired. I seem to get so many ideas when sleepy.
Thanks for the prompt explanations.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #419
ericbsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonS View Post
That's odd. When I didn't check Streamlining with Force Wings, Air Performance 1 & 2 used the unstreamlined airspeed.

Notes 5, 6 and 7 were referenced in the system descriptions but were not described in the Design Switches, Features, & Notes section.
I'm unable to recreate the footnotes problem, and right now I don't think you're using RC3 anyway. The key that tells me this is that in RC3 Habitat Locations now include a [#] location marker, for instance you'd have something like Center [3] to denote Center Hull section [3]. Your ship simply lists Front/Center/Rear, which I did away with in RC3. Additionally, I believe I fixed the Force Wings issue in RC3. The fact that both are giving you issues suggests that you aren't using the latest version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonS View Post
Also note that I had to use 3 SM+5 plus 1 SM+4 Habitats to fit a full cabin in each of the Center and Rear hull sections. According to SS7 p5.
The problem is that Spaceships cheats... a lot... when it comes to SM+6 Habitats. A SM+6 Habitat should have 0.6 cabins, not the 1 listed in the book. That means that, technically speaking, a SM+5 Habitat shouldn't have 0.3 Cabins, it should have 0.2 if you follow the progression on the chart and disregard SM+6. The reason why I bumped SM+5 Habitats to 0.3 cabins is because the book already cheated at SM+6, so I continued with almost the same cheat at SM+5 and SM+4. If I made it so that 3x SM+5 Habitats give 1 whole Cabin you could then install one Steerage Cargo and get 5 tons of Cargo. Which is more than 3x SM+5 Cargo Holds give you, at 1.5 Tons each they only hold 4.5 Tons. I'm just not going to make Habitats any more "efficient" at SM+5 and SM+4.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 05-30-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:41 PM   #420
DaltonS

Quote:
I'm unable to recreate the footnotes problem, and right now I don't think you're using RC3 anyway. The key that tells me this is that in RC3 Habitat Locations now include a [#] location marker, for instance you'd have something like Center [3] to denote Center Hull section [3]. Your ship simply lists Front/Center/Rear, which I did away with in RC3. Additionally, I believe I fixed the Force Wings issue in RC3. The fact that both are giving you issues suggests that you aren't using the latest version.
Apparently the problem was that I was trying to use Force Wings with a Drive Field instead of a Force Screen system. As to the other, you could be right; I made the Caravan Class Pinnace on the fly as an example, and may have based it on a small craft designed using an older version. (Oops!)

I'm having some problems with OpenOffice 3.3 crashing when using this version. It doesn't happen immediately, but after about 10 or 15 minutes the screen starts to flicker (as if some macros are cycling in the background) and when I try to save the sheet I get an error message. I can still work on the design and copy/paste the output sheet to another file, but in the end I have to discard my work. I'm currently installing OpenOffice 3.4 and will let you know if this fixes the problem.

Dalton "it looks good, when I can get it to work" Spence
DaltonS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
design, game aids, gurpsland, program, sheet, spaceships, spreadsheet