Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 03-18-2017, 08:08 AM   #1
Anders

Default Character arcs

Do you plan character arcs for your characters? How do you go through making them develop in a satisfactory manner?
Old 03-18-2017, 10:00 AM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: Character arcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Do you plan character arcs for your characters? How do you go through making them develop in a satisfactory manner?
Never. I often give them a starting situation that implies unresolved issues, but I don't know how those issues are going to be resolved, and I don't plan for it.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:49 AM   #3
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Never. I often give them a starting situation that implies unresolved issues, but I don't know how those issues are going to be resolved, and I don't plan for it.
What about your own characters? Or do you never play?
Old 03-18-2017, 12:33 PM   #4
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
What about your own characters? Or do you never play?
It's my own characters that I'm talking about.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:47 PM   #5
RyanW

I'm much like Bill. I give characters goals, but I don't plan out an arc to achieve it. My characters are about as likely to decide their original goal was misguided as to follow a path to achieve it, and I like the situations I'm faced with to surprise me with that decision. A lot of characters of mine wind up going on some damn fool idealistic crusade that I didn't even know about during character creation.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:12 PM   #6
Anaraxes

Same here.

In an RPG, the story emerges from the collaboration of all the players and the GM. You can't really write the arc for your character. Even though it's "yours", you own the character, and you have agency, you're not the only agent that affects the future. Unlike an author, you're not in charge of everything that happens (and also don't get to rewrite to make it fit after the fact). Players have a lot of control over their backstory, but much less so over their "forestory". So, you can certainly have ideas about what might occur, and things the character thinks they want to accomplish. But you also have to plan or allow for multiple possible future paths, including alternatives to what you thought was going to happen, including frustration of those goals and substitutions of other ones.

A strong character concept is going to suggest interesting stories about to happen, but an RPG concept has to stop short of insisting on them -- and the player for that character has to be willing to accept that not everything is going to work out exactly as they imagined when they first thought of the character. If the character just wouldn't be fun without a particular story arc and resolution, it's probably a better concept for a novel than for an RPG.

This is actually true even of the backstory as well, if to lesser degree. If it's too specific, it can often constrain you and the GM. Mysterious pasts of orphans are popular for a reason, if a bit of a cop-out. But often you can isolate the bits of backstory that are important to making the character who they are, yet leave some of the details on how things happened that way loose enough to help the character fit the GM's setting.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:12 PM   #7
Phantasm

I'm much the same. I give my characters starting conflicts and goals, but I never plan out how they'll achieve such goals, letting such things develop naturally. Many of my players are the same, which is why I hand out "sub-plot XP" when a character progresses their own character arc during the main plot of the game.

And then there was one GM who didn't quite get the "running sub-plot" idea... but that's a different rant.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:29 PM   #8
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Mostly I don't plan any such. In a recent campaign, I did try to plan, and the campaign reached an abrupt stop right when I started making the first serious steps onto such an arc.

In general I have something of a bad luck history with long-term campaign plans in general as a player.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:34 PM   #9
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
the campaign reached an abrupt stop
I've had that happen, too. The possibility does tend to put a damper on the amount of effort it's worth investing up front. Sort of a vicious circle, as a campaign is usually better and more likely to continue with more player involvement.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:57 AM   #10
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Same here. Of course, once the campaign is underway, my characters often make plans, short- or long-term, and try to act on them, but that's the character's plan, not mine.

I think of my characters as people within the setting, rather than components of a drama. Real life doesn't have plot arcs, and people usually hope to carry on living after dramatic events.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roleplaying