Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #21
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Subtle / obscure signs for identifying native CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by trans View Post
The Ukrainian "г", on the other hand, is a real killer for me. I think I mentioned that here before.
It's killer for some other Slavs. I remember a kid from Moscow not being able to differentiate between my g and my h. It was you who asked me about recommended methods of studying [English] language, right? I'm still willing to revive the general discussion along that topic, but it's definitely geekrule/genchat material.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:48 AM   #22
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
Well to get back on track....

I was told that people from islamic cultures tent to push down (or remove) the backs of their shoes (because it's a pain to lace and unlace them 5 times a day for prayer). They then have a distinctive way of walking in them (like when one weras slippers or thong-sandals) so the shoes don't go flying off.

So if you see somone walking like they are in slippers & are not it could give away that they are from an islamic culture.
Or ofcourse if their shoe backs are pushed down.
Japanese also often do this to their shoes, or wear them very loosely laced. Therefore, they often have a way of walking that involves scuffing the shoe on the ground mid-stride, which can mean a fairly noisy shuffle.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:25 AM   #23
Michael Cule

It is the little things that make fitting in complicated.

I found the deference of American waitstaff in New York to be... rather creepy and I'm told that my manner was rather more abrupt than they would be used to.

There's the story of the German infiltrator in wartime Britain who didn't know that you couldn't go into a pub and ask for a coffee in the mid-morning and expect anything other than blank astonishment. (Then I mean: things have changed.)

It's really the things that the locals 'know' without ever having being told them that trip you up though. I recently read an American book which had someone who was supposed to be British refer to 'the Royal Army' which is just wrong. (It's the Royal Navy, the Royal Air Force and the Royal Marines. Why isn't it the Royal Army but rather the British Army? Can you say without looking it up?)
Michael Cule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:37 AM   #24
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

On yesterday's session's conference which the whole team attended, our 'Japanese' friend made a rather outrageous claim about being able to write an impressive piece of software from scratch (implicitly in less than 3 days, and implicitly with a usual retail price around $5k). My character made a 'braggart' (Tengu Nose) gesture in plain sight. Said 'Japanese' showed zero reaction. Even Empathy reading showed absolutely nothing. I'm pretty sure he's not who he pretends to be. Looking for more ways to check it out.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:05 AM   #25
trans

I once ordered a "regular" coffee in New York City, expecting to get black coffee. In NYC, "regular" means with cream and sugar. And I grew up in Boston, practically next door by American standards.

Can I warm that up for you, hon?
trans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:08 AM   #26
trans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cule View Post
. Why isn't it the Royal Army but rather the British Army? Can you say without looking it up?)
Don't know, but it's still the King's Horse Artillery.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:34 AM   #27
Purple Haze

I would imagine that it is because regiments of infantry are usually regarded as being the personal property of their colonels whereas ships, airplanes, big guns, and such are property of the crown. Her Majesty's Ship and all.
Purple Haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:34 AM   #28
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cule View Post
Why isn't it the Royal Army but rather the British Army? Can you say without looking it up?)
It has to do with the Civil War, and Parliament.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Þorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:45 AM   #29
trans

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Hand holding as an expression of platonic affection is not the norm in the West.
Soviet soldiers used to hold hands while marching in pairs. Do Russian or Ukrainian soldiers still do that? I haven't seen any recently.

German Kindergarteners and elementary school kids of both genders still do that sometimes.

Edit: it may be a bit of a cultural comment to talk about Kindergarteners "marching" :-)

Last edited by trans; 03-25-2013 at 07:48 AM. Reason: punct
Old 03-25-2013, 07:52 AM   #30
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by trans View Post
Soviet soldiers used to hold hands while marching in pairs. Do Russian or Ukrainian soldiers still do that? I haven't seen any recently.

German Kindergarteners and elementary school kids of both genders still do that sometimes.

Edit: it may be a bit of a cultural comment to talk about Kindergarteners "marching" :-)
Haven't seen it among the force institutions either. In fact, given that CIS is kinda homophobic, I don't expect seeing it in the nearest future/area.

It does happen in junior (1-4) school, and in the kindergarden before that.

Tags
cultural familiarity, roleplaying