Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-29-2017, 07:43 PM   #11
Refplace

Default Re: High Magic Spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTimmy View Post
Could you please give details as to how?
Energy Reserve with -80% in limitations is 1 point a level.
So Special Recharge, maybe regens slow once a day, etc.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:48 PM   #12
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Could you please give details as to how?
I don't know what this Energy Reserve is. Is it the same thing as a Powerstone?
Energy Reserve is an Advantage, like having more FP only it can't be depleted by fatigue attacks and it recovers with time whether you're resting or not.

A super mage can also have HT 20 and thus FP 26 just for having a lot of points without the GM allowing anything fancy like raising the FP cap or introducing new Advantages from other books. Then 3/level for more Energy Reserve beyond this, with them recovering in parallel.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:01 PM   #13
TimTimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan View Post
Energy Reserve is an Advantage, like having more FP only it can't be depleted by fatigue attacks and it recovers with time whether you're resting or not.

A super mage can also have HT 20 and thus FP 26 just for having a lot of points without the GM allowing anything fancy like raising the FP cap or introducing new Advantages from other books. Then 3/level for more Energy Reserve beyond this, with them recovering in parallel.
I searched for, and did not find Energy Reserve in my books. Can you please provide a book and page?

From what I know HT 20 -> FP20. I assume you are advancing the secondary stat afterwards. Not that I think doubling the FP would help with "Slow and Steady" and until it + Energy Reserve can wholly pay for your enchantment, you can't go quick and Dirty (please correct if I am wrong).

Also that last sentence of yours made no sense to me. Please explain it. I am very new to Gurps. This will be my first character.
TimTimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:33 PM   #14
Refplace

Quote:
I searched for, and did not find Energy Reserve in my books. Can you please provide a book and page?
Energy Reserve is in GURPS Powers and some Dungeon Fantasy books.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:37 PM   #15
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
From what I know HT 20 -> FP20. I assume you are advancing the secondary stat afterwards.
Exactly, normally you're allowed to have +30% FP compared to HT. Most people don't get their mages high FP through high HT overall, because FP is so much more useful than the rest of HT you generally try to buy it up to the cap IME.

So HT 20 = FP 26 max, unless the GM changes the cap or allows a Perk to raise the cap (I mean, I totally would). This is before your Powerstone and any Energy Reserves you're allowed to buy. With 26 FP and even a 4-point Powerstone, you can make a Staff by yourself and no enchanter circle. With just 20 FP, you can make Powerstones by yourself. Some of the cheaper magic arrows and tiny magic Fortify +1 armor pieces are also attainable.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:39 PM   #16
Fred Brackin

Quote:

The book is Powers which you do not seem to have. Nor do I advise you to get it quite yet. Powers is advanced stuff.

Energy Reserve can be defined by stuff only in Basic though and it's basically FP usable only for Magic with this being a net -0% Limitation as the advantages of this are considered to balance out the disadvantages.

Also "advanced stuff" for Magic is Thauamtology. It might be simpler to add to what you've gotten so far. There are quite a few ways to increase Enchanting Power in Thaumatology.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:05 PM   #17
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Energy Reserve can be defined by stuff only in Basic though and it's basically FP usable only for Magic with this being a net -0% Limitation as the advantages of this are considered to balance out the disadvantages.
Also worth noting is that Energy Reserve also recharges separate from, and simultaneous with, FP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Also "advanced stuff" for Magic is Thauamtology. It might be simpler to add to what you've gotten so far. There are quite a few ways to increase Enchanting Power in Thaumatology.
Thaumatology page 50 also has a write-up for Energy Reserve, though the description you just gave is is both accurate & usable. It shows up in a few other supplements along the way too.

Thaumatology really has a lot of advanced rules that the OP may or may not be interested in. Many of them are actually optional rules - rules meant to be used to tweak the way the basic magic system works. A few them are completely alternate magic systems (much as the Syntactic and Symbol magic systems in GURPS Magic are an alternate magic system).
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 07-29-2017 at 09:09 PM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 11:13 PM   #18
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Also that last sentence of yours made no sense to me. Please explain it. I am very new to Gurps. This will be my first character.
My advice to you, that unless the game is supposed to be about enchanting (in which case the GM should be planning on long periods of downtime), just don't make an enchanter in the first place.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 11:53 PM   #19
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:

How out of ordinary/acceptable are the "cheese" methods in my post?
I'm afraid neither use of Luck you suggested is valid - all Enchantment spells are ceremonial casting automatically, and Luck is specifically disallowed to affect the results of ceremonial casting. See "Notes on Ceremonial Magic", Magic p. 12.

If you're looking for faster enchanting options, I'd strongly recommend asking your GM about some of the options in Thaumatology. They may even choose to allow some of the options presented there on an individual character basis, rather than the whole world, based on you buying something like a perk or Unusual Background advantage. One good option to point out, if they're worried about the setting effects of mages being able to quickly make enchanted items, is the "Spending of Yourself" rules (Thaumatology, p. 109). Basically, they let you lose advantages or attributes, or gain disadvantages, and convert the character points from this into energy, at a rate of 1 CP = 25 energy. So 400 energy would end up costing 16 character points. Expensive, perhaps, but depending on the exact setting details, you may be able to buy the lost advantages back, or gain only some of the energy this way - if you and a circle of 5 other mages could each offer 20 energy, for example, through FP and Powerstones, that leaves only 280 energy left, which would only cost 12 points.

Spending of Yourself tends to have less effects on the setting, because few mages are enthusiastic about, say, losing a level of ST and a level of Per to fuel a 400-point enchantment. But you, as a player, can more easily make that decision.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 12:00 AM   #20
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan View Post
Then 3/level for more Energy Reserve beyond this, with them recovering in parallel.
Also that last sentence of yours made no sense to me. Please explain it.
I assume you're talking about the sentence I've specifically quoted above. If that's what you mean, it works like this. FP normally recover at 1/10 minutes of rest (ones you've spent on magic recover faster, if you've bought the Recover Energy spell). Energy Reserve points, which, as others have explained, work exactly like FP except you can only spend them on magic, also recover at one every 10 minutes (again, faster if you've bought Recover Energy). The thing is, both of these pools recover at the same time. So, say for example you've got 10 FP, and a 5-level Energy Reserve. You cast Fireball, putting 9 energy into it, drawing 4 energy from your FP, leaving you with 5, and the other 5 from your Energy Reserve, leaving you with none. Now, you rest for 10 minutes. At the end of that time, your regular FP will be up to 6 FP, and your Energy Reserve will be up to 1 - both recovered 1 in that time. If you had just bought 5 extra FP, you would still have 6 energy available to cast after throwing that 9-energy Fireball, in the form of 6 FP remaining, but after 10 minutes of rest, you'd only have 1 more FP.

Does that make it clearer?
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote