Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 02-28-2013, 03:47 AM   #1
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Charismatic characters . . . in text games?

Greetings, all!

Probably a weird question. When playing over IRC/chat/IM/etc., how would you make a character (NPC or PC) come off as charismatic, other than by saying it upfront in an explicit, immersion-breaking sort of way?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-28-2013, 04:17 AM   #2
rust

Default Re: Charismatic characters . . . in text games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
When playing over IRC/chat/IM/etc., how would you make a character (NPC or PC) come off as charismatic, other than by saying it upfront in an explicit, immersion-breaking sort of way?
I would use the descriptions of the various NPCs' reactions to the charismatic
character's uses of social skills. At least my players would recognize any cha-
racter as charismatic who is almost always successful in his use of the rele-
vant skills. For players who are really slow to get it I would have NPCs talk
about how charismatic the character in question is. What I would not do is to
call the character charismatic as the referee, the players (more precisely, the
players' characters) should in my opinion find out such things within the set-
ting, not learn it from a "voice from above".
rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:28 AM   #3
tHEhERETIC

I use "muses", actors or other public figures who I can base things like physicality and voice on. Not only does this help me keep descriptions consistent, but if I want a charismatic character I simply choose a charismatic model, then I post a link to a picture or film clip.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:01 AM   #4
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
I use "muses", actors or other public figures who I can base things like physicality and voice on. Not only does this help me keep descriptions consistent, but if I want a charismatic character I simply choose a charismatic model, then I post a link to a picture or film clip.
Oh, I do have some such characters on my mind*, but the thing I'm worried about is being able to present even a remote semblance of their effect in-game. I'm not even sure is the fact that it goes online and not face-to-face makes things easier or harder.

* == The question is both generic and specific. For the specific subset of the question, as applied to my PC, these sample figures would be John Milton (Devil's Advocate) and Illusive Man (but strictly before the end of ME2, as after that he goes off the rails). I was aiming for a an ambiguous/neutral figure, but apparently there are very few to no such characters who are serious, high-status and not at one of the two extremes of the good/evil axis. Oh wait, Londo Mollari (B5) would be the neutral example. I suppose Patrick Jane (Mentalist) comes closest desired type while being slightly on the good side of the fence. But Londo's and Jane's magnetism is just too weak compared to Milton's and IM's, and I'm aiming at portraying a Charisma of +3 (GURPS).
Old 02-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
William

As a GM, to make a character charismatic to NPCs, I suppose I'd just narrate positive reactions from NPCs.

Making a character charismatic to PCs can tread on dictating PC reaction to social traits, of course; the advice I've seen is to ask (or work out privately, if you can) what the other PCs are likely to respond best to -- a vulnerable protectee? a competent, helpful do-gooder? and then play up that aspect of their situation. (What a PC wants out of the charismatic character might change as circumstances change, of course, but generally speaking, Dale Carnegie had a pretty good formula: having what the other fellow wants and presenting it with a smile goes a long way toward making a good relationship.)

Someone with a charismatic personality may have a knack for selecting such "faces" without a lot of the forethought that you put in behind the scenes.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:33 AM   #6
jason taylor

Have him do grand gestures-like Alexander's helmet thing. Anyone studied in history knows a number of these and a real charismatic character would be able to do it without looking lame.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:23 PM   #7
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

A lot of things come into play with charm, but one of the easiest to replicate in a text game may be focus. A truly charming person makes YOU feel important, not through obsequiousness, but through attention.

I recently GM'd a car salesman who was dealing with a very perceptive female PC. He addressed her politely, spoke to her as a friend would, used a mix of sincerity and humor, never directly said "no" to anything, never broke off to deal with something else, took the conversation in directions that she seemed interested in. And even though she knew that at least 30 percent of what he was telling her was BS, she liked him and wanted to deal with him. She even made a dinner date.

Some of that could be reflected in Diplomacy or Fast-Talk, sure. But it was also a re-creation of Charisma's effects, the thrill of having a charming and pleasant person make you the center of their attention, even if only for a little while.

(As a side note, this was a chat game.)

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
Icelander

In text games, I generally insert descriptions of what the characters perceive in non-verbal communication as well as just dialogue. I'll state whether a given character seems sincere, if he's trying to hide something, if he's emoting in some way, etc.

Describing tone, eye contact, stance and all the other factors that influence how we react to others would fit under that. Stating that a PC finds the demeanour of a Charismatic NPC engaging and personable seems reasonable.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:52 PM   #9
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Greetings, all!

Probably a weird question. When playing over IRC/chat/IM/etc., how would you make a character (NPC or PC) come off as charismatic, other than by saying it upfront in an explicit, immersion-breaking sort of way?

Thanks in advance!

I agree with Rust and other posters that NPC reactions are a good way to show that a character (PC or NPC) is charismatic.

I also filter the information I give to players. I wouldn't usually just come out and write something like "you trust him because he seems honest", but I would write about "a genial man with an open face", or something like that. Use description and non-verbal cues, but don't do much to dictate the PCs' reactions in an overt way.

If a player has his PC use some kind of skill to get a sense about another person's honesty, leadership qualities, and so on, that may call for a meta-response under some cimcumstances.
But I think it is still good to give in-game examples, and to think about NPC reactions. So instead of “he’s got Charisma”, use something like "the men speak with great pride about being his followers.”
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:23 AM   #10
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
I agree with Rust and other posters that NPC reactions are a good way to show that a character (PC or NPC) is charismatic.
Well, first session with other PCs included is over. In a twist, turns out that my character already (pretty much spontaneously) managed to turn a potential combat situation into a rather beneficial one. But alas, the threat and the change of heart were so subtle that even with Empathy he realised it after the fact (it was a split-second resolution). I'm pretty sure nobody noticed.

Not sure if I should bother the GM about the details and signs of NPC reactions, as he seems to be under some load already. That's kinda why I'm asking about the PC-level methods.

Tags
charisma, roleplaying