Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 02-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #1
smoothhands

Default Curse! Temporary Amnesia

Had a little debate in a game today over this one...

I say that since the card says you are Human "for all purposes", that trumps items like Casting Couch for special powers and Fake Ears and Fake Beard for the sake of monster bonus/penalty and Race/Class specific items.

The other side says that those are simply items that override or sidestep your actual Races/Classes and are thus not affected by Temporary Amnesia. You're actually a plain old Human, but if you put on Fake Ears, monsters will think you're an Elf, and so on.

Which is right?
smoothhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:10 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Curse! Temporary Amnesia

Your friends are right. Fake Ears/Beard don't actually change your Race; they just change the way it appears. The fact that you don't remember your real Race doesn't affect how those Items work.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:33 PM   #3
smoothhands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Your friends are right. Fake Ears/Beard don't actually change your Race; they just change the way it appears. The fact that you don't remember your real Race doesn't affect how those Items work.
Bah! Oh well, that's how we ended up playing it anyway. Thanks for the quick response!
smoothhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #4
me182

Hi everyone.
I have a question about the effect of this curse.
We had a couple of different views about the effect.
1. You forget about your class and race and can't do anything with classes or races while the curse has effect
2. You forget about your current class and race but you can change the forgotten class and race but you still don't remember them.
3. You forget about your current class and race and you can put into play a new race and class and discard the forgotten ones which ends the curse
4. You forget about your current class and race, you can put into play a new race and class but when you kill a monster you remember your original race and class and have to discard the new one put into play after the beginning of the curse effect.

As you see there are many interpretations. Which one would be correct?
me182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #5
Clipper

It's case 2. MunchkinMan officially stated that here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
Until then, you are a classless Human for all purposes.

So, adding new Classes or Races just means that you'll remember the new ones you when you finally can.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:09 AM   #6
Thesphinx3

Hey had a very interesting debate pop up about this card. One player was an elf, but had this card cursed on him. He argued that if he were to help in combat, the curse resolves itself the split second the monster dies, but before treasures or levels are distributed. In other words, he's arguing he remembers he's an elf just in time to get that level. The other half of the the group said that combat isn't fully resolved until levels and etc are dished out, this making him not get the level. So which is it? I can see how this would affect other race/class can combos dealing with killin monsters so I'd see the benefit of clarifying it.
Thesphinx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:08 PM   #7
offsides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesphinx3 View Post
Hey had a very interesting debate pop up about this card. One player was an elf, but had this card cursed on him. He argued that if he were to help in combat, the curse resolves itself the split second the monster dies, but before treasures or levels are distributed. In other words, he's arguing he remembers he's an elf just in time to get that level. The other half of the the group said that combat isn't fully resolved until levels and etc are dished out, this making him not get the level. So which is it? I can see how this would affect other race/class can combos dealing with killin monsters so I'd see the benefit of clarifying it.
Given that the game ends the split second a player kills a monster to reach level 10, before anything else, I'd say that the level is awarded as the combat concludes (whether the distribution of treasure is part of the combat or not doesn't matter, it comes after the level(s)). Thus, any curse that ends after combat should still be in effect when the level(s) are awarded. Which is a convoluted way of saying, "I don't think so." :)

But MunchkinMan or someone else official could tell me I'm wrong.
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
race, temporary amnesia