Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:52 PM   #1
Ulzgoroth

Default Ogre computer game released

It's up on Steam at this point.

EDIT: I wondered at the lack of announcement, I see I missed that it's got a sub-forum.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:36 PM   #2
Eugee

Default Re: Ogre computer game released

Can confirm; it plays JUST LIKE at the table:

https://puu.sh/xQUXm/4fe8c54865.png
Eugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 04:46 PM   #3
ColBosch

Man, that first scenario in Nightfall. I was laughing at it, until I started rolling lots and lots of 2s and 3s...
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:05 PM   #4
Eugee

I had a blast playing this for a few hours tonight. For those interested in a quick look at it--I streamed while I was playing the tutorials and the first 2 campaign missions.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/180000748
Old 10-05-2017, 08:39 PM   #5
Blue Ghost

An awesome port of a classic 80s scifi warsim game. No complaints. No real nitpicks. I can stream 80s tunes and suddenly it's 1980 all over again.

A really wonderful job. No need for over the top fancy 3D effects; the map looks good, the models look perfect, and I'm having a blast.
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:55 PM   #6
Eugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
An awesome port of a classic 80s scifi warsim game. No complaints. No real nitpicks. I can stream 80s tunes and suddenly it's 1980 all over again.

A really wonderful job. No need for over the top fancy 3D effects; the map looks good, the models look perfect, and I'm having a blast.
Well, I wish I could select multiple units to move together. They mentioned that moving stacks was an issue because of different moves remaining, but it would be nice if I could select multiple units in a stack with the same movement and move them.

All in all I love it though.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:32 PM   #7
Blue Ghost

Ah, so that's an issue, and not just me thinking I'd forgotten the rules. I'm sure it'll be patched in time.
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:26 PM   #8
HeatDeath

I'm not thrilled with the graphical representation of stacks - I would prefer multiple smaller "holographic" representations of the vehicles on top of the counter stack, instead of having to hover over it and then shift my vision to the edge of the screen - two extra steps that could easily be one or none.

It'd also be nice if it could give you a graphical representation of everyone's strike range during movement, but that might make things a little easier than they want - counting hexes and visualizing umbrellas of doom is still an integral part of the game.

I assume Breakout and Raid are going to be $DLC$ at some point. Very crafty. Just take my dang money already!
HeatDeath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:27 PM   #9
HeatDeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugee View Post
Can confirm; it plays JUST LIKE at the table:

https://puu.sh/xQUXm/4fe8c54865.png
This needs the ability to like. Yikes! My first and second runs at the first Nightfall scenario, a dozen units spent two turns failing to hit the Main Battery!

Just like in real life. :)
HeatDeath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:41 AM   #10
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatDeath View Post
This needs the ability to like. Yikes! My first and second runs at the first Nightfall scenario, a dozen units spent two turns failing to hit the Main Battery!

Just like in real life. :)
Yeah, my experience has been the same. One of the hallmarks of Ogre has always been planning how to weather a storm of bad rolls. If you do it right, you can still win.