Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-06-2016, 07:21 AM   #1
the_seeker

Default Problem with Downloaded Files

I have downloaded the GURPS Formatting Guide and the GURPS WYSIWYG Template multiple times. I have MS Office Home and Student 2016, the most up-to-date version available, yet it cannot open either document even via "open and repair." Umm... Help?

Tim Harris
The Seeker
Time Lord

Saving the universe one planet at a time. Occasionally from my own mistakes. Oops.
the_seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:32 AM   #2
GodBeastX

Default Re: Problem with Downloaded Files

I only use 2010 Word. Is there something that needs repairing on them?
Old 02-06-2016, 03:22 PM   #3
the_seeker

Beats me. I've just about given up. I figure a completely unformatted document can't be that much harder to edit. I figure a completely unformatted document is still much better than a document that is formatted all wrong. I haven't written for publication in 15 years or so, however, so I could be dead wrong. It's a moot point unless/until I can organize all my thoughts to write at all so I guess time will tell. I am my own worst barrier to success anyway. At least I own that flaw enough to admit it freely. <laugh>

Tim Harris
The Seeker
Time Lord

Saving the universe one planet at a time. Occasionally from my own mistakes. Oops.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:29 PM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

I don't know what to tell you about the Word files. Is the problem that Office 2016 can't read files built for older versions of Word? Also, which browser are you using to download the files -- maybe it's an issue on that end.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 03:41 PM   #5
the_seeker

I doubt it can't read older files. I've opened Office 2010 and Office 97 documents with both Word and Excel, and I've saved documents as Office 2010 and Office 97 documents with both Word and Excel, so if that's the problem, it's certainly very inconsistent about asserting itself. I almost invariably browse with Mozilla Firefox (currently version 44.0), occasionally resorting to MS Internet Explorer (currently version 11.0.27). I'll try again now, but so far, neither have downloaded versions that were accessible. It's really just a pet peeve of mine to want things to work the way they are supposed to work; ultimately, I don't see a significant reason why a "raw text" document won't suffice. But then, I'm not in publishing, so there's probably a ton of reasons about which I'm clueless. I'll live.

Tim Harris
The Seeker
Time Lord

Old 02-06-2016, 03:46 PM   #6
Armin
GCA Prime

I just downloaded and looked at the WYSIWYG template in the Word 2016 included in my Office 365 subscription. It opened up just fine.

I right-clicked and did Save Link As... from inside Firefox (version 44.0), then double-clicked to open the saved file in Word, and saw the instructions that were included. I then went into Word, and Browsed to the file, and opened it that way. All seems fine.

It doesn't seem to be an issue with 2016 not reading older files. Andrew may be correct that this is a browser/download problem.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:49 PM   #7
the_seeker

In the interest of complete disclosure... I'm not in touch with GURPS fandom at large, but I've never had the impression of a strong interest in wuxia among forumites so if I'm never able to get wuxia articles submitted (let alone published), GURPS fandom will probably roll along just fine. <laugh> That's not a criticism; I love the forum community and enjoy reading the output of so many fellow GURPS fans even though I often go months or even years lurking in silence with only occasional contributions to the S:N ratio. It's just a sober reflection on apparent fan disinterest in one of my favorite genres. Publish what sells. I'm not terribly confident wuxia sells. No biggie. :)

Tim Harris
The Seeker
Time Lord

Old 02-06-2016, 04:09 PM   #8
the_seeker

Huh... Just re-downloaded both files with FF and IE, and all four documents opened with no problem. I guess the gremlins got bored and went to pick on someone else. <laugh>

Tim Harris
The Seeker
Time Lord

Old 02-06-2016, 09:29 PM   #9
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_seeker View Post
I figure a completely unformatted document can't be that much harder to edit.
You're missing something. We don't insist on our WYSIWYG styles being used properly because they're easier to edit. We insist on them because after editing it allows us to "pour" them directly into InDesign to create a PDF file.

No templates = no PDF = can't use it.

So if you're having difficulty downloading or using the Word documents, please let us know! Those are part of the lifeblood of GURPS; if they ever get corrupted, etc., we need to fix them immediately. But don't respond by sending over articles written without them, as the best-case scenario is that Steven reads it and likes it enough to say, "Okay, now please apply our styles properly and send it over again."

Quote:
I figure a completely unformatted document is still much better than a document that is formatted all wrong.
About the same, actually, in that we can look over the content but can't actually use it until you fix it. (And since we pay a flat per-word rate for Pyramid articles, we can't justify the extra expense of, say, having one of our staff members redo all of the formatting for you.)

Quote:
Huh... Just re-downloaded both files with FF and IE, and all four documents opened with no problem. I guess the gremlins got bored and went to pick on someone else. <laugh>
Glad to hear it! If anything about the styles, formatting, etc., is unclear, please don't hesitate to ask for clarification.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:34 PM   #10
PK

Quote:
In the interest of complete disclosure... I'm not in touch with GURPS fandom at large, but I've never had the impression of a strong interest in wuxia among forumites
Not everyone on the forums is into "gritty, realistic, serious" GURPS, and we publish plenty of supplements that go in both directions. Heck, our best-selling series to date (Dungeon Fantasy) featured wuxia from Day One. (The "martial artist" template is built to leap over the heads of enemies, palm strike their hearts, and kick through stone barriers.)

Speaking as someone who went out of his way to add a "xia" template to Monster Hunters (in Pyramid #3/70), I can assure you that a Pyramid article on wuxia would not be dismissed out of hand.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote