Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-28-2014, 07:20 AM   #1
RogerBacon

Default So a giant rhino is charging at you...

OK, this is a really, big mutant rhino that is 3 hexes wide. It does a charge attack with the intention of trampling and/or goring you. Can you dodge? A person with a move of less than 20 can only step to the side one hex which means he will still get hit by the 3-hex wide attack, right?

In a related question, if there is an area affect attack, that is bigger than your step, there is no way to dodge it unless your 'step' lets you get behind cover, right? It seems like an artifact of turn-based movement to me and there should be some way to get your full move worth of 'step' when dodging by giving up your action for the next turn. Has anyone tried this?
RogerBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:31 AM   #2
Gold & Appel Inc

Default Re: So a giant rhino is charging at you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBacon View Post
OK, this is a really, big mutant rhino that is 3 hexes wide. It does a charge attack with the intention of trampling and/or goring you. Can you dodge?
You can definitely Dodge the goring, and you can Dodge the Trampling (at a penalty if you're a valid target ie: Prone), but for a creature that big, I would definitely say that you have to be able to put yourself outside its entire path to avoid the large creature auto-Slam effect, because if you don't get outside of that area it's still moving through your hex.

Quote:
A person with a move of less than 20 can only step to the side one hex [snip]
< 11, actually.

Quote:
In a related question, if there is an area affect attack, that is bigger than your step, there is no way to dodge it unless your 'step' lets you get behind cover, right?
Yep.

Quote:
It seems like an artifact of turn-based movement to me and there should be some way to get your full move worth of 'step' when dodging by giving up your action for the next turn. Has anyone tried this?
Nope, haven't tried it. Might make a good cinematic house rule in campaigns where nobody has super-speed and things go BOOM a lot.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:47 AM   #3
Walrus

If you want to evade that rhino, you can move out of its way on your turn. Such giant thing certainly can't turn that fast. Or, if it does, then probably you should have some adequate powers.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:29 AM   #4
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
You can definitely Dodge the goring, and you can Dodge the Trampling (at a penalty if you're a valid target ie: Prone), but for a creature that big, I would definitely say that you have to be able to put yourself outside its entire path to avoid the large creature auto-Slam effect, because if you don't get outside of that area it's still moving through your hex.
I'd be inclined to let you out of the slam if you drop low enough to go under the rhino (prone will work for a typical human). Of course in the process you're in line for trampling...
Old 02-28-2014, 02:54 PM   #5
Anaraxes

Dive For Cover?
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:00 PM   #6
Gedrin

Is up a possibility? Acrobatic Dodge to vault the rhino, assuming sufficient Jump to clear.
Gedrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:23 PM   #7
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
If you want to evade that rhino, you can move out of its way on your turn. Such giant thing certainly can't turn that fast. Or, if it does, then probably you should have some adequate powers.
If a character is in the process of Sprinting in a certain direction, I'd be willing to double their Step (and/or base it on their current speed for characters with Enhanced Move and the like) for purposes of things like Dive for Cover. Doing so would be risky, however - they'd also need to roll as per High Speed Movement to kill all their velocity in one go, with failure meaning a collision with the ground.
As a special effect, if the character manages a successful kip-up to get back to standing as a free action, the dive would end with a roll and the character would retain (most of) their velocity.

The end result of this would be that if you start sprinting to the side as the rhino starts charging (assuming it starts more than a second out), even if it can keep up with you you might be able to dive out of the way of its charge. Of course, if it's that maneuverable, you're probably now prone on the ground and it can merrily trample you as you attempt to get up.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:59 PM   #8
pfharlock

I was going to say use a wait maneuver but upon further inspection of the rules, wait doesn't let you convert the maneuver into a move maneuver which is what you would need.

:(

I might house rule it to allow it anyway, but this seems like a conversation about the rules as written
pfharlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:20 PM   #9
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
I'd be inclined to let you out of the slam if you drop low enough to go under the rhino (prone will work for a typical human). Of course in the process you're in line for trampling...
Yeah, I guess that works, if getting Trampled by the thing is better than getting Slammed by it for some reason... Trampling usually does more damage, while Slam does a little damage and knocks you Prone if successful, so diving Prone (ie: giving it what it wanted by Slamming), possibly into a Trample, to avoid a Slam seems like it'd usually be a little counterproductive IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedrin View Post
Is up a possibility? Acrobatic Dodge to vault the rhino, assuming sufficient Jump to clear.
If the very cinematic Martial Arts rules that allow Jumping Dodges and Evades are already in play, and you've got enough of a maximum high jump using the formula for no prep at all to clear the highest point on the thing, then sure.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:08 PM   #10
adm

The primary problem with a rhino slam is the pointy impaling bit on the front end.

Tags
dodge