Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-08-2015, 10:20 PM   #21
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Flight does not improve Dodge? Seems weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weevis View Post
Stop the presses -- this is the exactly the kind of thing I was asking about in the first place. But I don't see that rule in the GURPS Basic Set. Maybe it is in a supplement? (That I don't own?)
It's on page 389. I referenced it in my earlier post. It's not dodge-specific, actually.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:33 PM   #22
weevis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
It's on page 389. I referenced it in my earlier post. It's not dodge-specific, actually.
Got it. It's actually p. 398 though.

This is just the kind of rule I was thinking might exist somewhere. I did not remember this section on aerial combat. I've never had a player that wanted to fly before.

Very helpful. Thanks so much.
weevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 01:43 AM   #23
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Stop the presses -- this is the exactly the kind of thing I was asking about in the first place. But I don't see that rule in the GURPS Basic Set. Maybe it is in a supplement? (That I don't own?)
Rules for Fighting On Different Levels applies here. Basically, you're now uphill of your opponent.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:57 AM   #24
Ashtagon

Think of it as fast speed vs. "jinking" speed. Flight lets you move faster, but if you want to be able to jink, buy Dodge up separately.
Ashtagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:08 AM   #25
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
I'm transposing digits a lot lately, sorry.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:10 AM   #26
Bruno

Quote:

This is just the kind of rule I was thinking might exist somewhere. I did not remember this section on aerial combat. I've never had a player that wanted to fly before.

Very helpful. Thanks so much.
Note that this isn't "Flight gives +1 to Dodge", which seemed to be what you were talking about. This applies to swimmers as much as fliers, for instance, or folks puttering about in zero-G. You also only get the bonus when you Retreat, which can be a problem.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:36 AM   #27
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Where does it say twice the acceleration for flight? I get twice the top speed, but many of the builds I'm familiar with increase top speed but not acceleration.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:59 AM   #28
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Note that this isn't "Flight gives +1 to Dodge", which seemed to be what you were talking about. This applies to swimmers as much as fliers, for instance, or folks puttering about in zero-G. You also only get the bonus when you Retreat, which can be a problem.
And you get the bonus to any defense when you Retreat, not just to dodge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Where does it say twice the acceleration for flight? I get twice the top speed, but many of the builds I'm familiar with increase top speed but not acceleration.
Basic flight move starts from twice Basic Speed, while Basic Move starts at Basic Speed. And Basic Move, of course, is acceleration, not just top speed.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:06 AM   #29
weevis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I think you are thinking of Enhanced Move.

Enhanced Move, despite its name, says that it affects your top speed but not your move (p. B52). Seems like it should be titled "Enhanced Top Speed." This is described as the difference between top speed and acceleration. It directs you to write a new stat on the character sheet -- top speed -- emphasizing that speed and acceleration differ.

In contrast, Flight directly affects move, which I think must include both top speed and acceleration (p. B56). You do not get a split top speed / acceleration. This led me to say that flight doubles top speed and acceleration.

For instance, if you bought Enhanced Move to double your top speed, you would have a new top speed but not any change in acceleration. In contrast, if you achieved the same speed by purchasing Flight, it seems like you get both top speed and acceleration as there is no split stat.

At least that was my reading of it, but I'm no expert.

EDIT: Probably most people combine them, right? So that causes the confusion. It even suggests you should combine them under Flight.
weevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:08 AM   #30
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
And you get the bonus to any defense when you Retreat, not just to dodge.

Basic flight move starts from twice Basic Speed, while Basic Move starts at Basic Speed. And Basic Move, of course, is acceleration, not just top speed.
That's my point, though - I thought flight was increasing top speed, but not acceleration. I think the general logic of "if my accel goes up, my ability to dodge goes up," is sound. But the assumption that your accel goes up might be flawed.

Horses, for example take a few turns to accelerate to full running speed even neglecting sprint bonus. I think flight is the same way unless you also buy up the underlying ability that ALSO gives you Dodge. But that's not the same as top speed.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dodge, flight