Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 04-04-2018, 07:32 AM   #11
Misplaced Buckeye

Default Re: Survey: Top Priorities for Ogre VG Improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain H. Dawson View Post
We're doing a survey on what Ogre fans most want to see added, upgraded, and/or fixed in the Ogre video game. Please respond with your top three choices of what Auroch should prioritize as they work to improve the game. Also, what new features, options, and/or material would you be excited to see? Your answers can be anything from practical to pie in the sky (Ogrethulhu, anyone?).

Aaaaand GO!
Ogrethulhu sure ! But can we get it either in the ODE 3d or even in a 2D with a canon set of rules first? I have about 4 sets of rules regarding it that I have played with .
As for the video game, I'd have to agree with most about the AI. Why was the older Origins AI so much more challenging. Maybe concentrating on the standard Ogre game with one AI and a separate one for the GEV? Would it even work better to separate the two into 2 separate games top improve the play. I'm speaking from an advanced user viewpoint and not of the more knowledgeable IT players we have in abundance here.
Misplaced Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:49 AM   #12
dwalend

Quote:
Originally Posted by selenite View Post
Bugs are all three of my items right now. After trading screenshots with dwalend I'm boggled just how out of synch the two sides of a scenario were. I'm wondering how many of my "timed out" wins were somebody who saw a ridiculous situation on the screen and gave up.
It's so broken that a discussion of improvements feels extremely premature. Further, I think it distracts from the one thing only Ogre on-line can offer over me playing solo on the dining room table - or firing up the old game in a DOS emulator. I can have a real, potentially very experienced opponent, without having to find a free evening or weekend afternoon. Vassal - for all its weird lumps - delivered that much.

I think the list should be:

1) Make two-player games actually work by fixing the game state-related bugs. (This constellation of bugs is very likely a hard-to-fix design flaw. From the logs it looks like broken distributed CQRS. I haven't done packet analysis to see what traffic should be flowing.)

2) Let me choose which scenario to offer to play, and which side, when playing a multiplayer game with a stranger.

3) Let me challenge a specific player to a specific scenario.

Get that working with the Basic, Advanced, and MkIII-on-defense scenarios first. Then on to GP's list after that's actually working.
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 02:12 PM   #13
offsides

I haven't had time to play much lately, and never managed to find an opponent online when I did so I don't know first-hand how well/not well that works, but I think the #1 thing Ogre needs is GranitePenguin's #1 - fix the bugs, both rule-related and gameplay thereof - and that really needs to be the top, middle and bottom of the priority list until it's done. After that, everything that everyone has said (except maybe Ogrethulu, I'm fine without it) is a good idea, with making 2-player online Ogre scenarios work better at the top of that list.
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 02:56 PM   #14
ColBosch

I'm going to have to jump on the bandwagon here.

#1: Fix the basic Ogre game bugs: Mk III Attack, Mk V Attack, and Mk III Defense should be 100% rules-perfect and as close to 100% operable online as possible.

#2: Fix the G.E.V. map bugs: All units should be interacting with terrain properly and all scenarios should be 100% rules-perfect.

#3: Expand to the full game: All units and scenarios from the board game should be available and working, and players should be able to create their own games - and share them, and play them against each other - freely according to the board game guidelines.

And a caveat:

#1A: DON'T SWEAT THE AI. I know some folks would like a good robot to play against, but Ogre is a complicated game for AI. Beyond the basic Ogre scenarios, I say focus on getting PvP working first and foremost.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 03:23 PM   #15
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
#1A: DON'T SWEAT THE AI. I know some folks would like a good robot to play against, but Ogre is a complicated game for AI. Beyond the basic Ogre scenarios, I say focus on getting PvP working first and foremost.
While that's certainly easier, the reality is a good AI is going to be important for long-term casual play that doesn't require coordination between people. Especially when I want to control what scenario I want to play, I will be playing against the AI 80-90% of the time.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:17 PM   #16
TokyoDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
While that's certainly easier, the reality is a good AI is going to be important for long-term casual play that doesn't require coordination between people. Especially when I want to control what scenario I want to play, I will be playing against the AI 80-90% of the time.
same here!
TokyoDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 03:51 AM   #17
AurochJake

Hey everyone - thanks for taking the time to report issues and prioritise the outstanding ones.

Just a gentle reminder to be as thorough and detailed as possible. With rule inconsistencies, let us know which rule is/isn't working. If it's suggestions for content added, be as specific as possible :)

Thanks all, it's hugely appreciated!
AurochJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:11 AM   #18
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AurochJake View Post
Hey everyone - thanks for taking the time to report issues and prioritise the outstanding ones.

Just a gentle reminder to be as thorough and detailed as possible. With rule inconsistencies, let us know which rule is/isn't working. If it's suggestions for content added, be as specific as possible :)

Thanks all, it's hugely appreciated!
Oh, you will get details (most of mine you already have). The context of this post was a priority list. I think it’s pretty safe to say already-reported bugs are the priority.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:42 PM   #19
piningforthefjords

Looking back I see I played 26 hours of the new video game and the last time I played was in December. Why did I stop playing? There way nothing left to play. I finished the Nightfall campaign and then... nothing.

My all time favorite scenario, Raid, is not available. My second all time favorite scenario, Great Patriotic War (https://web.archive.org/web/20070702...iotic-war.html) is not possible. The multi-player doesn't have any games I want to play, mostly Ogre scenarios (least favorite) and the fan created scenarios are all variations of Ceasefire Collapse.

So my asks would be:

1. Fix the map and scenario creator and let me have reinforcements, command posts, victory conditions, turn limits, etc..

2. Fix the multi-player. Remote turn by turn or live play. Let me talk and communicate with my opponent (I had some amazing Cyberboard GEV games in the past and the chat feature was a big part of it).

3. Fix the bugs and bring on the LGEVs.

Thanks for asking.

TK

Last edited by piningforthefjords; 04-14-2018 at 04:05 PM. Reason: spelling
piningforthefjords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:32 AM   #20
AurochJake

Update 1.5.14
  • Multiplayer network fix - this should fix a number of issues related to quitting and re-entering MP games, and dealing with spikes and/or drops in connectivity.
  • Ogre should be able to spend 1M and ram the infantry it's already on. Previously, the game would not let you ram a hex if there was more than 1 enemy unit on it.
  • Fixed some terrain rules related with water and bridges - units moving under a bridge now STAY under the bridge (cannot move under a bridge and then on to land in the same move). Water and Bridges no longer provide the same bonus within one movement phase, and being on a bridge now only applies the movement bonus to the roads coming off either side of it. Moving onto a bridge hex from either side, rather than the connected edge, means the unit is still in water.
  • Pathfinding / movement path issue where clicking a destination hex, cancelling, and then deciding to move to this hex, would result in a single-click moving the unit, rather than double-clicking as it should be, is now fixed.
  • As per a request, we've moved the Version Number from the bottom left of the Home screen (behind the Logging In overlay) to the bottom right of the same screen, so it should always be immediately visible.

An absolutely MASSIVE thank you to everyone who has provided feedback, suggestions, logs, screenshots etc. to help us track down these issues and those that have been fixed up to this point, some of which have been very tricky to replicate and track down.

We appreciate it all :)

There are a few known issues which we'll continue to work on fixing, and of course, if you find any yourself, let us know by the usual channels.

Thanks again!
AurochJake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ogre, survey, video game