Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-21-2009, 11:29 AM   #1
RedMattis

Default Popular Character Creation House Rules

This is a thread for popular character creation house rules on the forum.
Popular in this thread means that the house rule has the agreement from several posters, and preferably don't doesn't stretch too far from RAW.

This is NOT the thread for arguing about these house rules, it is just a way to gather them all in one place for easy access.

Please send links to relevant threads when posting House rules for this thread.

Last edited by RedMattis; 04-21-2009 at 12:37 PM.
RedMattis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:30 AM   #2
RedMattis

Default Re: Popular Character Creation House Rules

Basic Attribute House Rules:

Attribute reductions down to 8 don't count against a Disad limit
If a Disadvantage limit is used, attribute decreasing isn't counted until you go below 8.

Perception and Will are separated from IQ (Reverend Pee Kitty's Houserules)
"Both Per and Will are their own attributes. They start at 10, and can be raised or lowered for 5 points/level. IQ is unchanged, at 20 points/level" -Quote MyGURPS.com
Very Popular

IQ! Costs 10 points
As the above, but decreasing IQ to a cost of 10/level

Strength Costs 5 points per level ("How can we "Fix" ST and Enhanced ST?" Thread")
Lifting ST costs 2 points, Striking ST costs 1 points, HP costs 2 points
A variant of this is to use this cost for ST above 20 only.

Striking ST Costs 2 points per level ("How can we "Fix" ST and Enhanced ST?" Thread")
Which puts a level of ST at 7 points

ST table scale altered ("How can we "Fix" ST and Enhanced ST?" Thread")
The ST table continues to do +1 swing per level, and +1 thrust every other level.

Advantages House Rules

Affliction Costs 15 points +4 points per extra level Cost of 2nd and higher levels of Affliction?
As per the usual rules, but with a base cost of 15 points, and a cost of 4 points per -1 to resistance roll. Both values are affected by enhancements and limitations as usual.

Ally Group (Favorite House Rules)
Allies taken as part of an ally group don't really need to be identical. Exactly how different they can be seems to vary from 'can have different perks & quirks' to 'anything so long as the points total is the same and it makes sense that they are considered a group'.

Contacts (Favorite House Rules)
Contacts have more than one skill or their skill is effectively a wildcard skill.

High Pain Threshold Very High Pain Threshold and Immune to Pain
Additional levels of High Pain Threshold are possible
High Pain Threshold, Very. +8 at HT and Will rolls to avoid knockdown, stunning, torture, etc. [20 points]
Immune to Pain: Immune to Shock, Immune to Knockdown & Stunning rolls, Immune to Pain and Agony conditions, Immune to Pain-Based torture. [30 points]

Regrowth costs 10 points (Reverend Pee Kitty's Houserules, Regrowth Overpriced Cost)
It has been admitted by Kromm himself that the Regrowth price should be lower than the RAW price.

Unkillable (Only UnKillable)
Unkillable 2 or 3 without Unkillable 1 is a -20% limitation.

[NEW!] Immunity to Unconciousness [30 points] (Supernatural Durability and Fragile: Unnatural)
This advantage makes you immune to unconciousness in any form.
Only Immune to Unconciousness from injury, -50%

Enhancement/Limitation House Rules

Costs Fatigue is worth -10% per level (Reverend Pee Kitty's Houserules)
"Costs Fatigue is worth -10% per level, to a maximum of -40%. If you have an advantage that would normally remain on indefinitely, you can take "Costs 1 FP per 10 seconds" for -20% or "Costs 1 FP per second" for -40%"-Quote MyGURPS.com

Last edited by RedMattis; 05-09-2009 at 04:28 AM.
RedMattis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:34 AM   #3
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMattis

Perception and Will are separated from IQ (Reverend Pee Kitty's Houserules)
This means that Perception & Will are not affected by increases or decreases in IQ.
I know of two variants on that: IQ! costs 10 points or IQ! costs 20 points.

Quote:
Strength Costs 5 points per level ("How can we "Fix" ST and Enhanced ST?" Thread")
Lifting ST costs 2 points, Striking ST costs 1 points, HP costs 2 points
My personal take on this one is to have it take effect after ST20.

Also: One of my house rules is that Attribute reductions down to 8 don't count against a Disad limit.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:40 AM   #4
RedMattis

Any links to the discussions?

I believe linking to the relevant thread and encouraging people to go there for discussion and question will help prevent this from turning into a chaotic discussion about the numerous houserules.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:44 AM   #5
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Any links to the discussions?

I believe linking to the relevant thread and encouraging people to go there for discussion and question will help prevent this from turning into a chaotic discussion about the numerous houserules.
My search-fu is pathetic.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:47 AM   #6
TJA

Ours (incomplete, as from memory):

Unusual Background for Attributes and Magery

IQ levels 16+ cost 10p additional each (should be 20, IMHO)
DX levels 16+ cost 10p additional each (should be 20, IMHO)
Magery costs 4+ cost 10p additional each (doubling the cost)

Changes to ST (like written above) apply after a basic ST of 20.

Skill-Levels restricted to Base+10

Additional rules

Automatic Decapitation with a basic damage of 2*HP or larger against the neck with a cutting weapon.

Maybe later i can add some more :)
Old 04-21-2009, 11:58 AM   #7
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

From the favourite house rule thread:

Allies taken as part of an ally group don't really need to be identical. Exactly how different they can be seems to vary from 'can have different perks & quirks' to 'anything so long as the points total is the same and it makes sense that they are considered a group'.

Contacts have more than one skill or their skill is effectively a wildcard skill.
Sam Baughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:20 PM   #8
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJA
Magery costs 4+ cost 10p additional each (doubling the cost)
IIRC that's not a house rule, but an optional rule from GURPS Banestorm.

When it comes to UB-limiting Magery, I think there is much more merit to the optional rule from GURPS Thaumatology, where the limit is on points in Magery, e.g. up to 40 points is normal cost, anything above that there's a 1:1 UB "tax". Or up to 32, 37, 45 or whatever else the world builder thinks is good.

That way, each character creator is free to choose between what kind of Magery he wants for his character: Low but general power, high limited power (Magery limited to 2-3 Colleges), very high very specialized Power (One-College Magery), or even something exotic, such as Limiting his Magery with a Gadget (Staff would be in-genre) or with some of the Limitations (or Enhancements) from GURPS Thaumatology. Also, of course, those options can stack. Buying one level of non-Limited Magery is probably often a good idea.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:47 AM   #9
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

The ST table continues to give +1 to swing damage per point of ST, and +1 to thrust damage per two points of ST (for a total of +2d dw/+1d thr per +8 ST)
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:37 PM   #10
Fred Brackin

Quote:

Advantages House Rules

Regrowth costs 10 points (Reverend Pee Kitty's Houserules)
It has been admitted by Kromm himself that the Regrowth price should be lower than the RAW price.
It has not come up in my games but I might even set the price for Regrowth even lower. 10 pts would buy you Injury Tolerance:Unbreakable Bones and you'll never suffer missing limbs at all rather than only for a few months.

There is the effect of Regrowth on Eyes but that's a really rare loss to occur in game. IT: No Eyes (crippling only) would be a big discount to a 5 pt Ad.

You could have IT: Unbreakable Bones (Regrowth 0nly, takes months) and the No Eyes thing for a good bit less than 10 pts.

The whole situation is quite rare. 10 pts is probably low enough but I thought I'd point out that there might well be cheaper ways to skin this cat.

Tags
character creation, chargen, faq, house rule, house rules, popular