Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-22-2017, 07:06 PM   #11
jason taylor

Default Re: Swiss Army Knife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post

However, this is still a Small Knife, the grip is not designed for fighting, and I would live in TERROR of the blade folding up on my fingers. Frankly I'd rather pick up a stick and hit someone with it.
That can be a problem with simple carving too though it has never happened to me. However it is possible to make sure the stroke is headed in the right direction and avoid mistaking the true edge for the false(an easier mistake then it sounds).
Old 06-22-2017, 09:12 PM   #12
mr beer

My Swiss Army knife has a 2" blade and doesn't lock, I think as a weapon it would be more dangerous to me than others*. The reaming tool could be used as a miniature punch dagger but could also fold over, though less dangerously so.

I think the best use as a direct weapon would be to fold into a fist like a roll of quarters.

Indirectly, I would use it to make a better weapon.

* It can be held in a pinch grip, not nearly as strong a hold, but the blade can then fold into the body of the tool instead of your hand.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 01:16 AM   #13
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr beer View Post

Indirectly, I would use it to make a better weapon.
You can probably cut and tie a rope to make a sling, a garrote, and or a flail. Or just a whip(a cop might have more sense of humor about using a rope that way in a barfight then a more deadly weapon). If you are in country with appropriate textured vines you could also do so.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:22 AM   #14
jason taylor

One use of a pocketknife(not a Swiss) I saw that was very plausible was a war story on tv where a hospital ship had taken a kamikaze hit. When evac was ordered a medic used a knife to cut some of the webbing around a patient's bed(it was suspended from the ceiling by lines) to help him get out.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:21 AM   #15
Dexion

The Rangergrip 79 that I own has all the profile of the huntsman with the characteristics of the tactic folding which is in the book Action page 33. I think the other Swiss knives can be considered as small knives with a penalty of -1 to the skill And to the damage due to their small size and that have may think that they are a little improvised weapons ...
Dexion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:09 AM   #16
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
McGyver does things with his I would never want to trust to any of mine ignoring the question of whether it is theoretically possible or whether I am a good enough engineer to do it. Those things can cost dozens of dollars and while an international crime-fighter might make enough money I sure don't. MacGyver's knife isn't just a classic, it is probably at least a Huntsman(like both of my Swiss')and probably a Champ. Aside from the fact that you just can't go through them like tissue paper, they would be likely to break in the things he does and I wouldn't want to trust my life to them using them for that. They are good knives, don't get me wrong, but they are simply to small to do things like leveraging whole pipes and what not and they would break if anyone seriously tried.
In all fairness, as Richard Dean Anderson mentioned in an interview, the vast majority of things that McGyver tried had about a 1 in 3 chance of success in real life, but given that the situation McGyver was in was usually "you can try this and maybe die; or do nothing and certainly die", it was usually worth a shot, however long.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 02:27 PM   #17
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
In all fairness, as Richard Dean Anderson mentioned in an interview, the vast majority of things that McGyver tried had about a 1 in 3 chance of success in real life, but given that the situation McGyver was in was usually "you can try this and maybe die; or do nothing and certainly die", it was usually worth a shot, however long.
Perhaps MccGyver should get skill:The Knife!

Of course it follows that Riliey would get The Laptop!
Old 06-24-2017, 03:41 PM   #18
Flyndaran
Untagged

Nearly everything I remember from that show involved real to flawed-for-viewer-safety to cinematic uses of Chemistry. It's been many years of course, so it may just have been my childhood science bias forgetting all the "uninteresting" things.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:43 PM   #19
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Nearly everything I remember from that show involved real to flawed-for-viewer-safety to cinematic uses of Chemistry. It's been many years of course, so it may just have been my childhood science bias forgetting all the "uninteresting" things.
A lot was chemistry but some was basic physics. I remember one episode where a cell phone was recharged from a jury rigged Leyden Jar.

I'm used to the new show rather then the old and it has lots of interesting interplay between characters. I think Riley is actually my favorite.

Actually MacGuyver's stunts now that I think of it remind me of some of the tricks I read about the UDT doing back in the day. Of course they worked those out ahead of time and brought purpose based gear along rather then just a knife and a paper clip. But then your not supposed to think about it to much.

Incidently the new show names all it's episodes after tools on a Swiss Army Knife.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:46 PM   #20
Flyndaran
Untagged

I did not know it had been rebooted.

I was really confused by your first sentence about cell phones.

Tags
swiss army knife, ultra-tech