Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-08-2009, 03:38 AM   #1
alaph

Default [Loadouts] Combat Medic

I love the load outs series (even though we only have one offering so far)

Here is my personal load out for my Afghanistan deployment:

ACU Uniform: Flame Resistant (I think they said it would protect against burns for 3 to 4 seconds) includes pants with calf pockets (roughly the same size and shape as a 30 round M4 mag) Surgical gloves in left pocket, CAT tourniquet in right, Cargo pockets (gloves in left, beanie or scarf in right), hip pockets, ID card in left on lanyard and attached to belt loop with small D ring, unopened cigarettes in right. Butt pockets: left empty, right has dog tags and St. Christopher medallion.
Belt is a rigger belt with blood chit sewn in. Rigger belt has an integrated D ring attachment point and claims to be able to hold 3,000lbs
Combat Shirt: water wicking material and very breathable. Has zipper pockets on each shoulder: Right pocket has open cigarettes and lighter. Velcro name tape, rank and IR flag on outside. Left has ear plugs and random items. Velcro unit patch on outside. Lower left arm has three pen slots with a black permanent Marker, pen light, and black ball pen (always the clicky kind)
Tan Altima combat boots with laces knotted at the end and combat tucked (also I don't blouse my pants).
Green Socks, water wicking.
weight is 5lbs for all of this.

Timex digital watch on left wrist.

IBA (Body armor) with front, rear and side trauma plates: Large D ring on back. Left trauma plate case has MOLLE two mag pouch with PLB (personal locator beacon in it). Left bottom has two MOLLE three mag pouches attached together with 6 30 round mags. Mags are loaded with one tracer round on top 27 5.56mm rounds then two tracer rounds on bottom. Above the ammo pouches I have a small D ring around center mass, a Gerber pouch with Gerber multi-tool, 14g needle in plastic case, ink pen and seat belt cutter pouch with seat belt cutter placed so it comes out of the case toward my feet (the tool itself has a quick pull string, whetstone, O2 tank valve opener). On the left shoulder I keep a screw-locked D-ring with a click LCD light (red) and ear plug case attached to it.
Lower right has canteen/multi pouch with two small side pockets. Left side has combat gauze (kerlex impregnated with hemcon), right has 3" medical tape. Main pouch has three combat gauze packs, one CAT tourniquet, three heavy flow tampons, 3" roll of coban, 3" ACE bandage. Above that is NPA ( naso pharyngeal airway) trauma shears on small D ring, Wolf sling attachment and CAT tourniquet on right shoulder.
Right trauma plate cover has IFAC attached upside down. IFAC includes combat gauze, NPA, CAT, 3" tape, compressed kerlex, combat bandage, medical gloves all attached to an inner pouch on a lanyard.

Total weight is 40 lbs

M4 with wolf sling, CCO red dot sight, P-rail system, and 30 round mag loaded.
10lbs

Whew that was alot of stuff and I haven't even done my Aid-bag, Assualt pack, trauma pouch, or trauma bag. I'll do those soon™

EDIT to add some links:
Combat shirt
First Aid Canteen Pouch
IBA, but mine is ACU digital cammo and full MOLLE
CAT For game purposes I would say that the cat can be applied to an arm or leg in about 3 to 5 seconds and completely stops bleeding if done right. This would be usefull only if bleeding rules are used.

Last edited by alaph; 04-08-2009 at 04:43 AM.
alaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:04 AM   #2
nik1979

Default Re: [Loadouts] Combat Medic

Thank you and my gun geek players also thank you :D
MIB#2428
nik1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:25 AM   #3
alaph

The gloves in the left pocket are Oakley SI Assualt Gloves
Oakley

They have carbon fiber knuckle plating that would add to punching damage.

My pistol belt has a Smith and Wesson SW9VE 9mm (16 round mag but I only load 15 and leave the chamber clear while inside the wire). I didn't get the typical Beretta, most people would have the M9 Beretta, the S&W I have is a poor glock copy and the ammo I have for it is cheap russian 9mm ammo. I get a jam about every 9 rounds or so. The weapon is holstered on the right side. in front of it on the belt (towards the center of my body) is a small Gerber multi-tool.

On the left side going from center mass out I have a 2 mag 9mm pouch with two magazines each loaded with 15 rounds. Behind that is a green Ka-Bar sheath with Ka-Bar combat knife inside
The Actual knife I wear

On my head I wear either a boonie hat or if on a mission I wear my ACH (advanced combat helmet) the ACH is uncomfortable and in truth a pain in the ass. I would only have a character wear one if he was ordered to (as I only wear mine when I'm ordered to :D )

The aid bags will take some time to write up as they have ALOT of gear in them but I will get for those of you who are super crunchy abput this type of thing.

Also I wrote IFAC, its actually IFAK (individual first aid kit) and should include a combat pill pack, mine does not have the pill pack nor do any of my soldiers and repeated attempts to order them have failed. Go figure.

I will write up what goes into the pill pack when I do my assualt pack though as I carry two of the three components in it. IFAK

Last edited by alaph; 04-08-2009 at 04:28 AM.
alaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:52 AM   #4
alaph

I'm putting this in a separate post because it does not involve gear but does involve how some of it worn/used.

Magazines are stored in their pouches upside down and oriented such that grabbing one and pulling out has it right side up and properly oriented for insertion into the weapon. This makes loading quicker. We load with our non firing hand and never lower the weapon while reloading. Empty magazines are dropped to the ground and retrieved after the tick.

Also there are three levels a weapon is in:
GREEN - no magazine in the weapon
AMBER - magazine in, no round in chamber
RED- locked and loaded, ready to rock and roll

We stay amber most of the time, red when outside the wire and green only in airports (note that is airPORTS and not the actual birds themselves)
Old 04-08-2009, 11:22 AM   #5
alaph

Combat Casualty Response Kit

Some items have been replaced. The bag weighed in at 4lbs.
Top portion has a velcro pouch with medical gloves. Trauma shears on front. The bag has a waist strap which I use as a shoulder sling, it also has clips for attaching to the assault pack and MOLLE strips in the back.

On the inside lid I have the blue LCD pin light, two 14g needles in plastic covers, two NPA's, and a few band-aids.

Inside I have four combat gauze packs, one kerlex donut for penetrating eye injuries, four combat bandages, one combat abdominal bandage, one occlusive dressing, 2 CATs, 2 sam splint 2s, 2 tampons, one 6" ACE wrap, one roll of 3" coban, one small tube of super glue, petroleum jelly, and one petroleum jelly bandage.

I also carry a petzl head lamp with green lens cover.

Also soldiers wear ballistic eye wear, mine are prescription. This should give DR 2 to the eyes.

Links:

Combat Gauze
Head Lamp
Ballistic Eye wear

Still have the Aid Bag, assault pack, and trauma pouch to do up. My gear weighs in at around 90+ ponds when I'm fully loaded. The IBA fatigues the shoulders heavily, and running is a witch with a capital B.

Feel free to ask any questions.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:47 AM   #6
PK

Thank you for sharing all this info! This is going to make several modern military games much more realistic, I'm sure . . .

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:45 PM   #7
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaph
Inside I have four combat gauze packs, one kerlex donut for penetrating eye injuries, four combat bandages, one combat abdominal bandage, one occlusive dressing, 2 CATs, 2 sam splint 2s, 2 tampons, one 6" ACE wrap, one roll of 3" coban, one small tube of super glue, petroleum jelly, and one petroleum jelly bandage.
Oddly enough, I learned in Girl Guides (Canadian equivalent of Girl Scouts) that tampons can be used on gunshot wounds.

I think our troupe leaders expected us to need that trivia more for the odd hunting accident than on the battlefield, but now I'm curious if that's the intention behind your packing two.

... and my inner gamer wonders if they'd be any good for arrow/crossbow bolt injuries, once you'd got the shaft out.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:07 PM   #8
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno
Oddly enough, I learned in Girl Guides (Canadian equivalent of Girl Scouts) that tampons can be used on gunshot wounds.

I think our troupe leaders expected us to need that trivia more for the odd hunting accident than on the battlefield, but now I'm curious if that's the intention behind your packing two.

... and my inner gamer wonders if they'd be any good for arrow/crossbow bolt injuries, once you'd got the shaft out.
They taught you that in the Guides? Maybe you had an ex forces first aid instructor(ix). Bear in mind you'll still need a shell dressing for the exit wound.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:51 PM   #9
cmac

Default Re: [Loadouts] Not a Combat Medic

Alaph, hope you don’t mind but I thought I would ad my personal load out.
I am not a combat medic (11B here) but during my time (03 to 04) in Iraq I operated on a 12 man team doing things all over Iraq. I am in the Army but wasn’t working for Big Army which was really nice.
As far as our teams load out went we carried a lot of stuff as we often were independent with no or very little support from other units. It was the nature of the beast.

So as for personal gear/worn. Uniform (sometimes sterile), Body Armor (sometimes wore IBA and other times plate carriers. I often just wore plate carrier as it allowed more freedom of movement while still provide excellent protection to front and back). Both IBA and plate carrier were adapted to the Molle system. My rig consisted of 10 30rnd 5.56 magazines, 4 frag grenades , 2 smoke grenades (depended on what we were doing on what kind of smoke), 5 x 15rnd 9mm mags, 1 gerber multi-tool, 2 x compasses, 1 x PRC 148 MBITR radio with spare batter, a deluxe first aid kit which contained bunch of stuff (quick clot – which I believe has been suspended from use for now, bandages, tourniquet, and we each had our own IV kit: there was other stuff but that is about all I can remember), and of course ONE Canteen.
Can’t forget the MICH.

Backpack – often called “go Bag” – this bag was kept with us at all times and if for some reason we had to ditch our vehicle the bag went with us. In this bag I had (was heavy). 10 x 30rnd 5.56 mags, 4 more frag grenades, pvs 14 (didn’t need it in the day time), 2 MREs, Camel Back (if not worn), spare batteries, and ANCD (crypto device for comms equipment – was an alternate commo guy). Again depending what we were doing my load might change.
Weapons: M4 SOPMOD (simple way of saying a lot of bells and whistles) and unfortunately a M9 Berretta. My M4 and a single point sling keeper and sling which means that there was only one attachment point. I could go hands free and my weapon would stay center on my body. As for the M9 I really do hate thigh rigs (whole freedom of movement thing) so I had a Bianchi hip holster that rode perfectly on my right hip and was angled so it didn’t interfere with my body armor or rig.

For our vehicles (we had 3): We had some seriously modified 4 seat HMMWVs, resembled the command HMMWV on steriods. Running boards (we didn’t have armored hummers), mounts for MGs etc.. Some standard things each vehicle had – Extra Ammo and Grenades, 2 AT-4, 4 x 5 gal Water Cans, 2 x 5 Gal fuel cans, 1 x Spare Tire, 1 x M240B 7.62mm MG (with lots of ammo – I think we consistently carried about 2,000rnds per vehicle), 2 boxes of MREs (12 meals ea), 1 bigger First Aid kit (in vehicle our medic – a PA – rode in there was a substantial med kit), spare batteries (AA, MBITR, and Lithium for our other radio), the other radio PRC-117F(C) the best radio ever. And special in my vehicle we had jury rigged some car speakers hooked to an MP3 player so we could listen to some music.

This was just a sample.

Enjoy
cmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:18 PM   #10
AmesJainchill

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaph
My pistol belt has a Smith and Wesson SW9VE 9mm (16 round mag but I only load 15 and leave the chamber clear while inside the wire). I didn't get the typical Beretta, most people would have the M9 Beretta, the S&W I have is a poor glock copy and the ammo I have for it is cheap russian 9mm ammo. I get a jam about every 9 rounds or so. The weapon is holstered on the right side
Shouldn't you use something that doesn't jam as often?
AmesJainchill is offline   Reply With Quote