Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 10-08-2004, 12:03 AM   #1
yoodle

Default Local Car Wars Groups

I was curious if and where there were still active Car Wars groups. I run a club in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA. We play v2.5 every other month and generally have 8-10 players per event.

I think I'm pretty lucky to have that many players, and I hope it keeps up.

Check out our web site if you're interested:
http://home.comcast.net/~gasp01/scar/
yoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 08:32 AM   #2
kjamma4

Default Re: Local Car Wars Groups

We are scheduled to play a four-player game on Tuesday. In the past four years, I've played once every GenCon and maybe twice besides that. I hope that this game Tuesday revives the semi-regular schedule we had from year's past.

P.S. Looked at your website. Very nice. I liked your house rule about a vehicle with metal armor still taking a hazard even if armor is not removed. I think that will be incorporated into our games as well.

P.P.S. Disagree vehemently with the rule about sustained fire bonuses lost when switching from general target to specific target. What you are doing is observing your hits on the side of the vehicle and then adjusting your fire (walking your hits) to a specific target such as the tire. Oh well, I guess that's why they call them house rules!!!
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 02:39 PM   #3
yoodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4
Oh well, I guess that's why they call them house rules!!!
A lot of the house rules are stuff that I picked up off the net somewhere adn just put them down in case we ever ran into the question. I'm not so much concerned with realism as I am with just keeping the game moving. That's the one real gripe I have with the old game is that every time we play there's always some rules question that we just can't find an answer for. Frequently I'm playing instead of just GMing, so we usually take a vote and jsut go with it. Then, those get added to the list of House Rules for future reference.

I hoped there would someday be an end to the questions, but that hasn't happened yet.
yoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 09:30 AM   #4
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoodle
A lot of the house rules are stuff that I picked up off the net somewhere and just put them down in case we ever ran into the question
Actually, the "changing from general to specific" ruling is listed in a referee's questionaire somewhere. However, it directly conflicts with an answer in an old ADQ&A so I use that (especially since I think it makes more sense).

Even more argument for a clean set of rules!!!
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 11:27 AM   #5
Parody

SPARK's final duel for the 2054 Circuit was Saturday. I'm going to get the website caught up this week, then we'll start organizing 2055. :)

I'm planning on running another tournament at GenCon Indy 2005. I might be tweaking some things this year so we can have 4 hour prelims.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:31 AM   #6
schoon

I had a group that played the 2nd Ed. Compendium rules pretty regularly. When the latest edition came out, there was a resurgence for a short while, particularly with modeling "miniatures" for the new scale, but as it became clear the new rules weren't getting support people sadly moved on to other things.

I play the old rules at the new scale, but it's hard to find players at the moment.
schoon is offline   Reply With Quote