Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-05-2016, 07:19 AM   #1
ssveter

Default Micronization

I have a robotech question sorta.

The character is a full-size Zentraedi and uses the micronization chamber to become normal sized. This is obviously Alternate Form with takes extra time (days) and accessibility, right? If so what are the percentages.
ssveter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:21 AM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Micronization

If the only thing that changes is your size, that's normally Shrinking. Either way, you're using a Gadget and Takes Extra Time (whatever multiplier fits your needs).
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:24 AM   #3
Dead Monky

It's not really using an innate ability. It's using a tool. Like a socket wrench or a mecha.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:43 AM   #4
Phantasm

What I'd do is set up a racial package for Full-Sized Zentraedi, and treat a micronized Zentron as effectively having the Human racial package (though possibly with an ST bonus and slight Tough Skin DR).

That said, I wouldn't build it as an Alternate Form; it's more of a piece of superscience technology that permits swapping the two racial packages. Most of the Zentraedi who went micronized never returned to full size in the anime, only in the American comics and various later novels in that (slightly more internally consistent) timeline did a good number return to full-sized.

I should note that the procedure requires authorization to perform; Zentraedi don't have at-will access to it. (I seem to recall the The Sentinels novel and comics series indicating the last few micronization units were wearing out, so those Zentraedi returning to full size were the last who would undergo the procedure.)

What I'd look into is figuring out a weight, size, and dollar cost for the micronization chambers (power requirement is likely "uses external power").

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:57 AM   #5
ssveter

Thats all and good. At least from the GM side of things. I was trying to figure it out in game mechanics. The micronization facilitates the tranformation, hence the accessibility. If I recall correctly the process takes at least a day possibly a week and can only be done in the chamber.

I was thinking in terms of GURPS Supers. This character is a villain in my GURPS Supers "The Gulf Coast Avengers" campaign. The villain is an advanced scout for the empire.
ssveter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:41 PM   #6
Nereidalbel

Is the chamber limited to just the one "race" that's being shrunk, or, can you put ANYTHING in there?

Also, this sounds more like a plot device than a power, unless your Zentraedi can MacGyver another chamber together post-shrinking.

Still sounds more like Shrinking to me (with One Use Only if they can't return to full size)!
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:37 PM   #7
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Is the chamber limited to just the one "race" that's being shrunk, or, can you put ANYTHING in there?

Also, this sounds more like a plot device than a power, unless your Zentraedi can MacGyver another chamber together post-shrinking.

Still sounds more like Shrinking to me (with One Use Only if they can't return to full size)!
It's never shown to work on anything but Zentraiedi and the process looks rather bio-techish. The Z-guys are some of the original bioroids (biological androids) and are "vorn" full-sized in pods at c. 40-45 feet tall.

I actually could make a Zentraedi with Gurps Bio-tech at TL12 and in those terms the micronization process and its' reverse would be a sort of upload/download thing.

Tags
alternate form, gurps 4e, macross, robotech