Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 06-22-2009, 05:44 PM   #11
Solelron
Banned

Default Re: Faster play rules

Yeah. I've had games go every way you could think:

6 players, done in 45 minutes (all newbs)
6 players, not even close after 4 hours (Munchkin experts, MQ newbs)
4 players, 4 hour completion
6 hours, no one beyond level 1 after 2 hrs.

it all depends on how things work out and the different strategies used. every game will be different.

I have not tried modifying the rules yet, but I may do it for demos and such.

Now I gotta go home. it seems my plushie skull decided it didn't like the box and I have to hunt it down b4 the next demo.
Solelron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:06 PM   #12
UnknownMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese8242 View Post
It just seems your need to play cutthroat is what is sucking the fun out of the game. Like I said in my last post, I played a 6 player game with out changing any rules at all with 5 completely new players and the game still ended around 4 hours. And every single person that played had a blast, it wasn't any less fun because two people won the game together. But hey, if changing some rules would make the game more fun for you and your group then by all means go for it.

But please don't say the game is to long and the fun gets sucked out of it, when you yourself are saying you ignore the one rule in the game that would fix both of those problems. That's not quite fair to the game.
Well, maybe you could do that with 6 players, (though I have my doubts that even 2 players could overcome the DxM card onslaught of 4 other players.)

But in a 3 player game, like i mentioned, what fun is it when 2 out of 3 players win? 2 people could just tream up from the beginning, and the 3rd person would always lose.

I'm just posting methods to speed up the game and reduce the stalemate that often comes with gathering so many DxM cards.

If you don't want to use these rules thats fine, but I KNOW I am not the only person in the world who thinks Munchkin Quest can run long.
UnknownMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:54 PM   #13
Cheese8242

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownMan View Post
Well, maybe you could do that with 6 players, (though I have my doubts that even 2 players could overcome the DxM card onslaught of 4 other players.)

But in a 3 player game, like i mentioned, what fun is it when 2 out of 3 players win? 2 people could just tream up from the beginning, and the 3rd person would always lose.

I'm just posting methods to speed up the game and reduce the stalemate that often comes with gathering so many DxM cards.

If you don't want to use these rules thats fine, but I KNOW I am not the only person in the world who thinks Munchkin Quest can run long.
Sorry, I am not trying to offend or upset you. And like I said if it makes the game more fun for you and your friends then go for it. I just thought it was a little unfair to say that the length of the game can suck the fun out of it, if you are ignoring the one rule that can fix that.

The one rule I try to use to speed up the game is playing with the 2 move a turn(I just forgot about it at my last demo). That tends to help out a lot and also helps knock out some of those pesky dxm cards. But I haven't really come across players hoarding to many dangerous dxm cards, at least so far.
MIB #4282

The Most Impressive Loser in the MQ Gauntlet

Last edited by Cheese8242; 06-23-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Cheese8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:14 AM   #14
The Benj

I've found that limiting people to one room Explored per turn speeds things up enormously. Also encourages them to to other things with their Move, like Searching and taking Deals.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 03:49 PM   #15
Duuk

Wife and I bought MQ this afternoon, and after one trial run through, I can tell you that "1 explored room per turn" and possibly "2 moves per turn base" are going to come into play very soon for us.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:52 PM   #16
convulsion

Hi, just wanted to post to let you know that of all the house rule suggestions over the internet, these are by far the best. They have become a default for us and have made the game very much better, especially when having more players! They have made me really wonder why the game has been crafted the way it is in the first place, because it's just so much better and engaging this way. We have also come up with one house rule addition to speed up the endgame:

The boss monster is NOT of level 20, but of the level it really is. Alternatively you can also vary this so, that per player you have one or two 20-level boss monster(s) at first, and on subsequent tries they are of their normal level. It brings a level of luck to the victory, and is much more in spirit with how the card game Munchkin always ends, as in someone being lucky and/or others running out of cards to prohibit the victory.

We came up with this after an exhausting game experience with 6 players, where for more than two hours everyone was trying and constantly failing killing the boss monster. It ended up being very frustrating and most of all NOT FUN, and at that point we also didn't know or care of the rule of having two persons win the game...
convulsion is offline   Reply With Quote