Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 12-07-2018, 02:28 PM   #11
platimus

Default Re: Nerfing the Thrown and Missile Weapons talents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Yes, and FWIW I don't really mind myself.

Note though that there is no "Melee Weapons" talent that adds +2 to +3 to your DX.
Well, there aren't a lot of melee weapons that require reloading or suffer from a -1 DX penalty over a number of hexes (range).

Quote:
Crossbowmen firing prone get +1 DX.
Thanks.

I have no problem with the Missile Weapons talent but I don't like that adjDX14+ rule for the crossbow. I won't be using that. If I felt like the Missile Weapons talent was too powerful, I'd break it into 3 different talents: MW I (1), MW II (2), and MW III (3).

Last edited by platimus; 12-07-2018 at 03:54 PM.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:53 AM   #12
Helborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Light Crossbow sniper
ST 12, DX 11, IQ 9
Light Crossbow(2d) fires every turn at DX 14 or 15
Crossbow, Missile Weapons III
This may not work; depends on whether the text means the 2/Turn RoF for high AdjDX of bows or it also includes the Rof for Crossbows. My take is that it only includes bows which would be the RAW: The DX gain from Missile Weapons Talent cannot be used for speed of fire for Crossbows. You have to build up the Base DX to gain the 1/Turn or 1/2Turns RoF for Light and Heavy Crossbows.

ITL pg 38 Missile Weapons (1): A high degree of skill with whatever missile weapons the figure has the talent for, attained by constant practice. May also be used with missile spells which the figure knows. This talent gives the user a +1 DX on all missile weapons and spells that he knows. This DX
counts toward speed of fire for bows, as well as accuracy.
Missile Weapons talent can be chosen two or even three times, for a +2 or +3 bonus.

While we're on the topic, I think reloading while prone should add a 1 Turn delay - minimum - to the RoF. You have to turn on your back (in order to use both hands) and put your foot in the stirrup before you can draw the string, then turn back over, etc.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:02 AM   #13
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helborn View Post
This may not work; depends on whether the text means the 2/Turn RoF for high AdjDX of bows or it also includes the Rof for Crossbows. My take is that it only includes bows which would be the RAW: The DX gain from Missile Weapons Talent cannot be used for speed of fire for Crossbows. You have to build up the Base DX to gain the 1/Turn or 1/2Turns RoF for Light and Heavy Crossbows.
From the Missile Weapon table on p. 109...
Quote:
Light Crossbow† 2d 12 $ 50 6.0 Fires every other turn, or every turn if adjDX = 14+.
And, no, I don't like that either :)
Old 12-10-2018, 09:03 AM   #14
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
From the Missile Weapon table on p. 109...

And, no, I don't like that either :)
Lying down on the job improves productivity!
Old 12-10-2018, 09:06 AM   #15
platimus

Quote:
Lying down on the job improves productivity!
Haha!. Depends on your profession! LOL
Old 12-10-2018, 09:30 AM   #16
hcobb

Two average DX guys replicating TFT's "normal speed" firing with longbow and light crossbow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HagCuGXJgUs
Old 12-10-2018, 09:43 AM   #17
platimus

Quote:
Two average DX guys replicating TFT's "normal speed" firing with longbow and light crossbow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HagCuGXJgUs
They say Longbow 10, Crossbow 6 but that's so laughable and wrong to me. I counted 5 bolts that didn't even touch the target. While it looks like all of the arrows are in the target area. It didn't look like these guys were very far away either.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:38 AM   #18
larsdangly

Looks to me like a good example of why 1 bow shot per turn and 1 crossbow shot per 2 turns are very reasonable base rates (this is almost exactly the rate at which these guys were firing). I'm not sure how someone is supposed to double that, but perhaps we can just take it as a game conceit that provides missile weapon users with access to high damage output at high skill levels (note they have no access to 'shrewd blow' sorts of attacks)
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:52 PM   #19
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Looks to me like a good example of why 1 bow shot per turn and 1 crossbow shot per 2 turns are very reasonable base rates (this is almost exactly the rate at which these guys were firing). I'm not sure how someone is supposed to double that, but perhaps we can just take it as a game conceit that provides missile weapon users with access to high damage output at high skill levels (note they have no access to 'shrewd blow' sorts of attacks)
I agree. It also looks like a good reason for me to ignore the adjDX14+ rule for crossbows.