Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 09:19 AM   #211
Alonsua
Banned

Default Re: Comment my megacorporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Honestly, if you want a new party in the US, you start grass-roots. Grab a few municipal seats in a region, move onto the state legislature, repeat the next state over where the people share your ideals, and be prepared to face off against the two-party system from the word "go" in that both parties have the backing of nation-wide organizations to get advertising and debate space, especially since both parties will (possibly rightly) see the upstart as "stealing our voter base". This will take decades...

In this case it seems that a good surprise coup supported by a great campaign of memes with a well-prepared political force thanks to the support of revolutionary technologies has been enough to do it in less than a decade.

By 2018 they control:

• Presidency.
• Vice presidency.
• House of Representatives 418/435.
• Senate 85/100.
• Supreme Court 5/9.

You could basically say that they have assumed control of the United States of America.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:24 AM   #212
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
In this case it seems that a good surprise coup supported by a great campaign of memes with a well-prepared political force thanks to the support of revolutionary technologies has been enough to do it in less than a decade.
And where did these revolutionary technologies come from? By RAW, you cannot invent more than +1 TL above your own TL (and TL8 only started in 1980, so they have TL9 at most), unless you have the cinematic Gadgeteer advantage.

When did these cinematic gadgeteers with TL10 technology come into play? And where did they get the infrastructure and resources to get the TL10 tech in the first place, as it seems the takeover of the USGov't is needed to form the megacorp in the first place . . . .

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Old 01-12-2019, 09:29 AM   #213
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
And where did these revolutionary technologies come from? By RAW, you cannot invent more than +1 TL above your own TL (and TL8 only started in 1980), unless you have the cinematic Gadgeteer advantage.
Invent TL9, update your skills by self-training, raise High-Tech, repeat.

Quote:
When did these cinematic gadgeteers with TL10 technology come into play? And where did they get the infrastructure and resources to get the TL10 tech in the first place, as it seems the takeover of the USGov't is needed to form the megacorp in the first place . . . .
Dont worry, they are realistic, lets say a couple decades ago. They didnt need to takeover the USGov to form the corps, but the USGov dared to mess with their merge, so they got angry and took over the USGov. Any of us in their position would do the same.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:30 AM   #214
Phantasm

Quote:
Invent TL9, update your skills by self-training, raise High-Tech, repeat.
so the world is TL9 by ... call it 2000?

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:32 AM   #215
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
so the world is TL9 by ... call it 2000?
No, no, the world is TL8, they are TL9 (all), then TL10 (all), then TL11 (biotech/medicine only). Thats why Genesis can use Memetics while the rest are tied to regular propaganda.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:36 AM   #216
Phantasm

Quote:
No, no, the world is TL8, they are TL9, then TL10, then TL11.
That's not how that rule works!

You cannot invent more than one tech level above the campaign TL. Anything above that requires Gadgeteer.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:38 AM   #217
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
That's not how that rule works!

You cannot invent more than one tech level above the campaign TL. Anything above that requires Gadgeteer.
Show me that rule and think that maybe that rule is made for us to be able to break it.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:39 AM   #218
AlexanderHowl

Quote:
Now thats unrealistic since it is unconstitutional. The most they can be asked for are signatures from supporters of the party to reach a certain amount, they could not block them just saying "bwaaah but we dont like them!"
I am not quite sure you understand the complexity of the US system (the federal Constitution, the fifty state Constitutions, and over two centuries of federal and state legal precedence). It is not unconstitutional, it is pretty much how the Constitution is structured, since everything is based on a winner-take-all system in order to deliberately avoid parliamentary systems from the beginning. When the two parties control the vast majority of local governments, all state governments, and the federal government, they only need to shut the doors of access, like they have done for over 150 years.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:15 AM   #219
whswhs

Quote:
As we previously agreed
As who previously agreed when? I don't recall seeing any post from anyone that suggests that any of your political history seems plausible to them.

Quote:
The US Department of Justice announces that it no longer requires Genesis to be divided and seeks a less demanding antitrust penalty.
This is your first named step? I don't think it's plausible, to start with, and I don't think you have provided the decade or two of previous timeline to show how it could be made so. In terms of the way the United States works, I think this looks a lot like STARTING with a "miracle."

Please show your work.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:29 AM   #220
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Let's see if I understand this thread.

Alonsua has a megacorp in his game. When it is pointed out that such a corporation would run afoul of antitrust legislation in the US (and other places FWIW) Alonsua goes in two directions.

One is to take over a small island, the two small islands proposed belong to Canada and Norway. When it is pointed out that Canada and Norway would object to having those islands taken away from them and possibly involving NATO, of which both Norway and Canada are members. Then the solution is to throw money at the problem with the megacorp suddenly spending more money than NATO on defense and the 28 nations of NATO not reacting in any way to the emerging issue that a corp building up it's military muscle. Oh, and the corp has advanced tech and combat robots and stuff and NATO and the world remain ignorant of that until the tech suddenly emerges on the world stage.

The other is to basically take over the US using the legal framework already in place. When problems with that are pointed out the proposed solution is again to throw money at the problem which somehow through magic or something is supposed to get the megacorp enough representatives to suddenly change US law at every level at it's whim. And the population of the US will do nothing about it, let alone the rest of the world?

Did I miss anything?

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Closed Thread