Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-07-2014, 07:05 AM   #141
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Survivable Guns Realism

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
In game terms sure many will be immediately disabled for whatever reason (psychological if nothing else) until they "die", so the GURPS death check might be considered to really be modeling this rather than actual, instant death. .
The Consciousness Check might be a reality friendly mechanism. You can lose enough to drop your blood pressure too low to remain conscious well before you bleed out.

Considering the number of people who faint from standing up too quickly or other purely temporary fluctuations in BP passing out when someone makes a significant hole in your circulatory system isn't that unrealistic.

Then if using that optional rule many failed "Death Checks" actually result in Mortal Wounds rather than literal/immediate death.

After that you factor in the time required to even stop bleeding and a failed "death check" could be "will bleed out before anyone can do anything without magic or ultra-tech.". This raises issues for magical or UT settings but doesn't injure real world realism badly.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:14 AM   #142
Tomsdad

Default Re: Survivable Guns Realism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
The Consciousness Check might be a reality friendly mechanism. You can lose enough to drop your blood pressure too low to remain conscious well before you bleed out.

Considering the number of people who faint from standing up too quickly or other purely temporary fluctuations in BP passing out when someone makes a significant hole in your circulatory system isn't that unrealistic.

Then if using that optional rule many failed "Death Checks" actually result in Mortal Wounds rather than literal/immediate death.

After that you factor in the time required to even stop bleeding and a failed "death check" could be "will bleed out before anyone can do anything without magic or ultra-tech.". This raises issues for magical or UT settings but doesn't injure real world realism badly.
I guess my question would be if we're partly tying the unconsciousness check to BP shock from ongoing bleeding (not a problem at all). it seems odd that conciousness is checked on a second by second scale (unless doing nothing) and bleeding is on 30/60 second scale.

I only mentioned it in passing earlier but I'm giving some serious consideration to making conciousness on a HTx sec scale rather than 1x sec scale. I guess the side effect of that will mean people, will stay in combat for longer, but I reckon you could use the last gasp rules here.

Your already losing AP equal to the HP lost so probably needing recovery actions or burning a FP to get back some AP. If you were also to say add an extra 2AP or 2x AP cost to everything done at less than 0 HPs you should get a pretty good AP/FP spiral going for those that try and run and gun too much! This will compound if you still concious at 2xHTsec and the penalties for injuries kick in as well. Running and gunning will me more difficult because the move penalty for being less than HP/3 as well

If nothing else since quick movement is so AP costly, it will tend to pin people in place a bit even while they stay conscious. And of course if they do burn FP enough then their HT will suffer. And that penalises Bleeding rolls, conciousness rolls and if it comes to it death rolls as well. All of which means it become's a real choice weather or not to keep pushing yourself at that point.

Last edited by Tomsdad; 06-08-2014 at 02:21 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat, firearms, optional rules, pyramid #3/44, pyramid 3/44, survivable guns