Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 02-08-2024, 10:07 AM   #1
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Saethor's Bane: A DFRPG Solo Adventure

Sometimes things get in the way of gaming. Life happens. Schedules change. Or the world goes on lockdown for two years. Sometimes you just want to learn a game at your own pace. Or give players a chance to experience a new game.

Saethor's Bane provides this opportunity. It presents a short-but-epic campaign arc for martial character types to experience the Dungeon Fantasy RPG starting at 100-125 points, and rapidly escalating to 200-250. It's not quite zero-to-hero in one tutorial adventure, but it's close.

What You Get

Saethor's Bane is a conversion to the Dungeon Fantasy RPG of David Pulver's excellent Dark Lord's Doom, available for both TFT and OSE by Gaming Ballistic.

It is designed to showcase the capabilities and options of the Dungeon Fantasy RPG, taking four martial characters - the spellcasters would be assigned to a different unit - through a full campaign arc.

The characters start at 100-125 points (Journeymen level from Delvers to Grow) and rapidly grow as the adventure progresses. Very rapidly. Artificially rapidly. Showcasing how the capability of characters grows, what options it affords, and giving an escalating scale of challenges.

I suspect the book will ship in excess of 40 pages (the TFT/OSE versions are each 28 pages), but I'm not going to constrain page count artificially. It'll be what it'll be.

Pledge levels are likely to be as minimal as I can get away with.

All of Gaming Ballistic's other DFRPG materials will be available as add-ons during the campaign as well.

Campaign Scope

This campaign will run for a relatively short time on Backerkit Crowdfunding, and is designed to gauge interest in this type of product for the DFRPG.

It will fund at $5,000 converted to DFRPG in greyscale/black and white. Using the existing art assets, but a whole new layout, all actors converted to the DFRPG, with pre-gen characters, probably some new Delvers to Grow modules, and whatever else makes it interesting. Use of Delvers to Grow will not be required to run the adventure.

The campaign will have a single stretch goal, which will transform or reimagining the art into color: maps, interior illustrations, and character portraits/monster images.

If the project does well, expect more solos, both conversions and original work!

Key Dates

Campaign Launch: Tuesday, February 20 - 9am Central
Campaign End: Saturday, March 2 - 9pm Central

The converted, B/W file will be made available as close to the campaign close as possible. The next day if the Backerkit system allows it. If we unlock the color stretch goal, anything including the new content will be updated digitally at a later time, but you won't have to wait for the core content.

When they're all done, physical assets will print and ship. From print purchase to books-in-hand usually takes 4-6 weeks in the USA and ... longer ... for international shipments.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 03:51 PM   #2
Jpot

Default Re: Saethor's Bane: A DFRPG Solo Adventure

I’m in! I have a soft spot for Solo gaming. Thanks Douglas. That’s a creative yet simple project.
Jpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 10:54 AM   #3
DouglasCole

BackerKit Crowdfunding has approved Saethor's Bane for launch. It shall go live this coming Tuesday.

This is a conversion of the Dark Lord's Doom solo adventure by David Pulver to the Dungeon Fantasy RPG, Powered by GURPS, published by Steve Jackson Games.

It is a "programmed" Choose-Your-Own style adventure, targeted at a newcomer-friendly 100-150 points. It is well supported with fast character generation by Gaming Ballistic, LLC's Delvers to Grow product, which gets you from concept to table in 10-30 minutes. Try out different professions and tactics, learn the game alone or with friends.

If you've wanted to try out the Dungeon Fantasy RPG ... there are digital jump-starts available that provide you with the tools you'll need.

Launching on BackerKit Crowdfunding on Tuesday, Feb 20 at 9:15am Central time.

Please sign up to be notified upon launch. Share the landing page with your gaming or gaming-adjacent friends.
Old 02-20-2024, 09:41 AM   #4
DouglasCole

Saethor's Bane, the first system-specific solo adventure from Gaming Ballistic, LLC for Steve Jackson Games Dungeon Fantasy RPG is now LIVE on Backerkit Crowdfunding.

With pre-gen characters, options for solo or GM'd play, and generous permission from SJGames to make the core rules and supplements available through the campaign ... this is the perfect time to try out the system.

The solo is engineered to be significantly faster in time-to-table than usual, reducing the system mastery required from beginners.

If you've been curious but tentative...I encourage you to jump on.

If you've wanted to introduce your friends to the system, this is a fantastic vehicle for it.

Saethor's Bane: A DFRPG Solo Adventure
Old 02-20-2024, 01:39 PM   #5
Farmer

Nearly funded already! Perfect opportunity to go for the stretch goal!
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 01:42 PM   #6
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
Nearly funded already! Perfect opportunity to go for the stretch goal!
I did my budgeting on an anticipated, if conservative, 60-40 mix of Print+PDF and PDF-only. I did allow for 20-25% of folks opting for the $15 and $35 tiers. That left me with an anticipated average pledge of $17-19 depending on mix.

We're running hot at $30 or so. That would mean getting there at 700 backers, rather than the somewhat unlikely based on past performance 1,300 we'd have needed if the more pessimistic projections came true.

I would LOVE to get 100% of this in color print and PDF. That would be sweet.
Old 02-20-2024, 04:01 PM   #7
Farmer

Fully funded in 8 hours. I hope folks jump in - that stretch goal will be awesome. There's also lots of add ons available that are discounted or not normally available - it's a great release.
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM   #8
DouglasCole

https://youtube.com/live/IPzuQ1j0kVI?feature=share

I'll be on Tenkar's Talking Crit Live to yammer on about Saethor's Bane, the Dungeon Fantasy RPG, and Gaming Ballistic's plans for the future in 2024.

It goes live at 7pm Central on YouTube. The update has a link and embed code, I hope.
Old 02-22-2024, 07:12 AM   #9
restlessgriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
https://youtube.com/live/IPzuQ1j0kVI?feature=share

I'll be on Tenkar's Talking Crit Live to yammer on about Saethor's Bane, the Dungeon Fantasy RPG, and Gaming Ballistic's plans for the future in 2024.

It goes live at 7pm Central on YouTube. The update has a link and embed code, I hope.
OK, I'm checking this out. I just gave it a Like and Subscribed based on you're being there. Happy to see Omnibus edition of Delvers to Grow is available as an option for backers.

Last edited by restlessgriffin; 02-22-2024 at 07:35 AM.
restlessgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 09:24 PM   #10
horgan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by restlessgriffin View Post
OK, I'm checking this out. I just gave it a Like and Subscribed based on you're being there. Happy to see Omnibus edition of Delvers to Grow is available as an option for backers. dinosaur game
Can you provide more details about Saethor's Bane, the Dungeon Fantasy RPG, and Gaming Ballistic's plans for the future in 2024, as discussed during your appearance on Tenkar's Talking Crit Live?

Last edited by horgan2; 02-28-2024 at 09:28 PM.
horgan2 is offline   Reply With Quote