Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 10-02-2018, 04:05 PM   #1
Venomous Filigree

Default "The Fantasy Trip PDF Adventures"

Looking forward to these, any more info, ie one offs, connected?
Venomous Filigree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 04:37 PM   #2
Wayne

Default Re: "The Fantasy Trip PDF Adventures"

Are these adventures (eg. Tollenkar's Lair) or micro quests (eg. Death Test 1 & 2)?
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:30 PM   #3
Venomous Filigree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Are these adventures (eg. Tollenkar's Lair) or micro quests (eg. Death Test 1 & 2)?
Hopefully adventures like Tollenkar's Lair
Venomous Filigree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:42 PM   #4
bill_seney

The email from SJ Games that went out said the adventures are currently planned as 12 page PDFs so smaller than Tollenkar's Lair. CARAVAN TO
EIN ARRIS (a free GURPS introductory adventure) is 24 pages for comparison purposes.
bill_seney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:56 PM   #5
bill_seney

A suggestion:

CARAVAN TO EIN ARRIS (a 24 page introductory GURPS adventure) is in a fantasy setting. How much work would it be to move it from Yrth to Cidri?

NPCs would need new statistics blocks and there would either need to be a new map or mention of an island east of Tro if you want the GM to be able to use the South Elyntia setting as a follow-on.

(A mention in the adventure that it takes place on an island X weeks sail east of Tro - I am not suggesting a change to ITL at this late date.)

Last edited by bill_seney; 10-03-2018 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Clarification
bill_seney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:00 AM   #6
larsdangly

The best thing about this announcement is the 12 page limit. I can make a megadungeon in 12 pages when it comes to the notes I actually use at the table; what makes commercial dungeons bloat to huge page counts is all the blibber-blubber telling you how this NPC feels about their past and what was going on in room X 200 years ago. That stuff always strikes me as the ramblings of frustrated fantasy authors; I greatly prefer treating adventures as practical materials used at the table, with the GM (and players!) filling in all the feelings and making their own history. Anyway, a 12 page limit will force people to just focus on essentials.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:22 AM   #7
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
The best thing about this announcement is the 12 page limit. I can make a megadungeon in 12 pages when it comes to the notes I actually use at the table; what makes commercial dungeons bloat to huge page counts is all the blibber-blubber telling you how this NPC feels about their past and what was going on in room X 200 years ago. That stuff always strikes me as the ramblings of frustrated fantasy authors; I greatly prefer treating adventures as practical materials used at the table, with the GM (and players!) filling in all the feelings and making their own history. Anyway, a 12 page limit will force people to just focus on essentials.
I'm hoping to get folks here to playtest and proof the adventure books I'm working on. I'm definitely falling victim to over-detailing, and I would be exceedingly grateful if you would be one of the people to help me out. I could really use this kind of incisiveness.
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:56 AM   #8
robertsconley

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Anyway, a 12 page limit will force people to just focus on essentials.
I blogged about this in a post, the Minimal Dungeon.

Posted the full dungeon here, the Elf Lord's Temple.

While that good enough for me. I would need to add some more make more suitable publication. But not that much more.

One trick to cut down on the word count is descriptive room titles and notes on the map itself.

For example

18) Armory
Amid the spears, pikes, swords, daggers, and shields is a weapon stand holding a ornate +1 spear.

I think most referee are well read enough or have enough life experience to flesh out the detail of what an armory looks like to the player. And the dimension of the rooms are adequate to determine how many weapons are contained therein if that even comes up.

or

18) Forgotten Armory
Amid the rusted spears, broken pikes, along with swords, daggers, and shields in similar condition is a moldy weapon stand holding a ornate +1 spear still in pristine condition.

Last edited by robertsconley; 10-03-2018 at 10:02 AM.
robertsconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:03 AM   #9
DarkPumpkin

Looking forward to these. I'd like to get a hard copy compilation as well.
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:19 PM   #10
larsdangly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
I'm hoping to get folks here to playtest and proof the adventure books I'm working on. I'm definitely falling victim to over-detailing, and I would be exceedingly grateful if you would be one of the people to help me out. I could really use this kind of incisiveness.
I'm happy to help! PM me with the deets.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote