Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-05-2018, 08:57 PM   #41
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Default Re: 'Deal Breakers'?

I repeat my promise of an index. I have spent more than three decades being boggled that the big books were released without one (and, later, that a computer-printed index was sold separately).

I expect there to be more variation in XP granting (yep, changing the terminology to meet modern standard) than any other single potential house rule. I don't mind. And in fact the combat scenarios, such as the Death Tests, will still have "what did everybody slay?" XP systems. But for me, a "roleplaying" game should explicitly reward roleplaying, and I think I erred too far in the other direction with the first edition.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:30 PM   #42
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
...But for me, a "roleplaying" game should explicitly reward roleplaying, and I think I erred too far in the other direction with the first edition.
I would not deem it as: "to err"; as the foundational roots of TFT (D&D, T&T, and RQ) were primarily, at their core, a Wargaming experience (in the spirit of AH and SPI) and not a "theatre game".

Choosing to make an alteration, does not by default mean the original foundation was an error. That "error" has been part of the formulation to the glue which has kept some of us *attached* to this product - and without gaps - for 40 years. It may be more accurate to simply say that you are now electing to purposefully alter the original standard - from what it was, to something different.

As you know, some play TFT as a tactical-level wargame experience at it's core with role-playing elements sprinkled on top, and others, play it as a role-playing game experience at it's core, with tactical combat elements sprinkled on top.

An important distinction.

Perhaps, like so many other good things about TFT, the final decision as to how one plays (and rewards) the game, *should be left to the individual group*; and not forced upon all groups, one way or the other, by the rules-set.

Offering both rules-sets of EP award systems, should not offer any major challenge - especially as the original EP rules are already in the can - simply include both, and let the players choose for themselves at-home.

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:35 AM   #43
JLV

Jim, I kind of got the impression that was more or less where Steve was going... You two may be in violent agreement over this.

I understand that Steve feels that Experience should be awarded for more than purely mechanical reasons; but he seems to be saying that purely mechanical reasons are still valid for things like Melee or Death Test. He now just feels that maybe he went too far in the "purely mechanical" direction back in the day.

What I imagine we'll see is different Experience award systems depending on the game itself, and that a clever GM will be able to mix and match or pick and choose which systems (or sets of systems) work best for his game, now.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:06 PM   #44
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Yes.

And clever GMs have *always* modded XP systems, one way or another. It's my job to deliver a GOOD system, not to announce a One True Way.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote