Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 08-11-2015, 07:47 AM   #21
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Encumbrance and skills

OK, messed with this a little, and here's what I have so far:

Code:
************************************************************************************************************************
[ATTRIBUTES]
************************************************************************************************************************
Encumbrance Penalty, basevalue(char::enclevel), display(No), 
	gives(_
			=-char::enclevel to SK:Judo::parryat listas "Includes Enc. penalty to Parry",
			=-char::enclevel to SK:Karate::parryat listas "Includes Enc. penalty to Parry",
			=-char::enclevel to "SK:Main-Gauche::parryat" listas "Includes Enc. penalty to Parry",
			=-char::enclevel to SK:Rapier::parryat listas "Includes Enc. penalty to Parry",
			=-char::enclevel to SK:Saber::parryat listas "Includes Enc. penalty to Parry",
			=-char::enclevel to SK:Smallsword::parryat listas "Includes Enc. penalty to Parry",
		),
	conditional(_
		=-char::enclevel to SK:Climbing,
		=-char::enclevel to SK:Stealth,
		=-(2 * char::enclevel) to SK:Swimming,
		=-char::enclevel to SK:Judo when "striking",
		=-char::enclevel to SK:Karate when "striking",
		=-char::enclevel to "SK:Main-Gauche" when "striking",
		=-char::enclevel to SK:Rapier when "striking",
		=-char::enclevel to SK:Saber when "striking",
		=-char::enclevel to SK:Smallsword when "striking",
		)

[MODIFIERS]
<Sword Class Quality>
_Fencing Weapon, *1, shortname(Fencing Weapon), group(Sword Class Quality), gives(=-ST:Encumbrance Penalty::score to owner::skillscore, =-(ST:Encumbrance Penalty::score-(@int(($modetag(charskillscore) + ST:Encumbrance Penalty::score)/2) - @int($modetag(charskillscore)/2))) to owner::parryscore$)
#MergeTags in "EQ:Saber" with "initmods(_Fencing Weapon, *1, shortname(Fencing Weapon), group(Sword Class Quality), gives(=-ST:Encumbrance Penalty::score to owner::skillscore, =-(ST:Encumbrance Penalty::score-(@int(($modetag(charskillscore) + ST:Encumbrance Penalty::score)/2) - @int($modetag(charskillscore)/2))) to owner::parryscore$))"
#MergeTags in "EQ:Rapier" with "initmods(_Fencing Weapon, *1, shortname(Fencing Weapon), group(Sword Class Quality), gives(=-ST:Encumbrance Penalty::score to owner::skillscore, =-(ST:Encumbrance Penalty::score-(@int(($modetag(charskillscore) + ST:Encumbrance Penalty::score)/2) - @int($modetag(charskillscore)/2))) to owner::parryscore$))"
#MergeTags in "EQ:Smallsword" with "initmods(_Fencing Weapon, *1, shortname(Fencing Weapon), group(Sword Class Quality), gives(=-ST:Encumbrance Penalty::score to owner::skillscore, =-(ST:Encumbrance Penalty::score-(@int(($modetag(charskillscore) + ST:Encumbrance Penalty::score)/2) - @int($modetag(charskillscore)/2))) to owner::parryscore$))"
#MergeTags in "EQ:Short Staff" with "initmods(_Fencing Weapon, *1, shortname(Fencing Weapon), group(Sword Class Quality), gives(=-ST:Encumbrance Penalty::score to owner::skillscore, =-(ST:Encumbrance Penalty::score-(@int(($modetag(charskillscore) + ST:Encumbrance Penalty::score)/2) - @int($modetag(charskillscore)/2))) to owner::parryscore$))"
#MergeTags in "SK:Karate" with "initmods(_Encumbrance Penalty, *1, shortname(Enc. Penalty), group(Sword Class Quality), gives(=-ST:Encumbrance Penalty::score to owner::skillscore, =+(@int(($modetag(charskillscore) + ST:Encumbrance Penalty::score)/2) - @int($modetag(charskillscore)/2)) to owner::parryscore$)"
A few notes: All the penalties from the attribute are done as conditional penalties. This is because I really dislike applying hard penalties for transient conditions, because hard penalties can affect sub-calculations from those traits such as calculated defaults from those skills.

This currently only automatically adds the modifier to the weapons in the Basic Set data file; and is not targeting Karate or Judo yet. The modifier is available in any Sword-Class weapon, so can easily be added to weapons by the end user.

I was unable to directly reference char::enclevel in the modifier I wrote; doing so caused GCA to go into some sort of calculation loop which caused an eventual crash and/or made saved characters unloadable. I was, however, able to indirectly reference it by setting the basevalue() of the new attribute to be based on char::enclevel. A side effect of this is that there is a trickle-through bug of some sort where the level of that new attribute does not always correctly keep up with current encumbrance level, though it does seem to catch up with the value on it's own, and you can always manually force it with a Recalculate Everything.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 08-11-2015 at 08:26 AM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:31 PM   #22
Armin
GCA Prime

Thanks, Eric.

I'm not sure what the issue with referencing char::enclevel in the modifiers might be, as it should be the same math as elsewhere. Anyway, you worked around that, so thanks.

I am going to disagree about the penalty for Encumbrance to Climbing, Stealth, and Swimming being conditional. Encumbrance is pretty much a full time penalty, something that will basically always apply during normal use of the skill--and that's pretty much the definition of something that should be a gives(). And the penalty won't affect defaults, because the defaults are calculated from the pre-penalty base level. (Someone who is calculating a default on the fly will have to add back the penalty from the Includes line, same as if they were floating to another stat for an unusual use of the skill; but that's pretty much why GCA tells you what's included.)
Old 08-12-2015, 01:51 PM   #23
ericbsmith

OK, so I'm working on this a little more. Turns out there's no need to use a modifier, as you can use the gives() tag to make a piece of equipment target itself. This gets a little tricky, but not horribly so. The good thing about using gives() rather than using a modifier is that you can now Resynchronize Equipment and existing pieces of equipment will be updates. Note that you will also want to Resynchronize Attributes, to get the new Encumbrance Penalty attribute properly meshed, or calculated bonuses and penalties will all result in a +0 bonus.

There are currently 4 data files with weapons in them that must be changed.

Code:
** GURPS Basic Set
[ATTRIBUTES]
Encumbrance Penalty, basevalue(char::enclevel), display(No), 
	gives(_
			=-char::enclevel to SK:Judo::parryat listas "Includes Enc. penalty to Parry",
			=-char::enclevel to SK:Karate::parryat listas "Includes Enc. penalty to Parry",
			=-char::enclevel to "SK:Main-Gauche::parryat" listas "Includes Enc. penalty to Parry",
			=-char::enclevel to SK:Rapier::parryat listas "Includes Enc. penalty to Parry",
			=-char::enclevel to SK:Saber::parryat listas "Includes Enc. penalty to Parry",
			=-char::enclevel to SK:Smallsword::parryat listas "Includes Enc. penalty to Parry",
		),
	conditional(_
		=-char::enclevel to SK:Climbing,
		=-char::enclevel to SK:Stealth,
		=-(2 * char::enclevel) to SK:Swimming,
		=-char::enclevel to SK:Judo when "striking",
		=-char::enclevel to SK:Karate when "striking",
		=-char::enclevel to "SK:Main-Gauche" when "striking",
		=-char::enclevel to SK:Rapier when "striking",
		=-char::enclevel to SK:Saber when "striking",
		=-char::enclevel to SK:Smallsword when "striking",
		)

#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Saber" with _
		gives(=-@textindexedvalue($modetag(parry), ("0F", ST:Encumbrance Penalty::score), ELSE 0) to me::skillscore$, =+(@textindexedvalue($modetag(parry), ("0F",1),else 0) * (@int(($modetag(charskillscore) + ST:Encumbrance Penalty::score)/2) - @int($modetag(charskillscore)/2))) to me::parryscore$)
#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Rapier" with _
		gives(=-@textindexedvalue($modetag(parry), ("0F", ST:Encumbrance Penalty::score), ELSE 0) to me::skillscore$, =+(@textindexedvalue($modetag(parry), ("0F",1),else 0) * (@int(($modetag(charskillscore) + ST:Encumbrance Penalty::score)/2) - @int($modetag(charskillscore)/2))) to me::parryscore$)
#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Smallsword" with _
#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Short Staff" with _

#MergeTags in "SK:Karate" with _
		gives(=-ST:Encumbrance Penalty::score to me::skillscore, =+(@int(($modetag(charskillscore) + ST:Encumbrance Penalty::score)/2) - @int($modetag(charskillscore)/2)) to me::parryscore$)

#ReplaceTags in "ST:Punch" with _
		gives(=-@if(me::charskillused = "SK:Karate" THEN ST:Encumbrance Penalty::score ELSE 0) to me::skillscore, =+(@if(me::charskillused = "SK:Karate" THEN 1 ELSE 0) * (@int(($modetag(charskillscore) + ST:Encumbrance Penalty::score)/2) - @int($modetag(charskillscore)/2))) to me::parryscore$)
#ReplaceTags in "ST:Kick" with _
		gives(=-@if(me::charskillused = "SK:Karate" THEN ST:Encumbrance Penalty::score ELSE 0) to me::skillscore, =+(@if(me::charskillused = "SK:Karate" THEN 1 ELSE 0) * (@int(($modetag(charskillscore) + ST:Encumbrance Penalty::score)/2) - @int($modetag(charskillscore)/2))) to me::parryscore$)
#ReplaceTags in "AD:Arm ST" with _
#ReplaceTags in "AD:Striker (Crushing)" with _
#ReplaceTags in "AD:Striker (Piercing)" with _
#ReplaceTags in "AD:Striker (Large Piercing)" with _
#ReplaceTags in "AD:Striker (Cutting)" with _
#ReplaceTags in "AD:Striker (Impaling)" with _
#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Brass Knuckles" with _
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 08-17-2015 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:52 PM   #24
ericbsmith

Code:
** Martial Arts
[ATTRIBUTES]
#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Deer Antlers" with _
#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Dress Smallsword" with _
#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Edged Rapier" with _
#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Jian" with _
#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Jutte" with _
#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Knife-Wheel" with _
#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Light Edged Rapier" with _
#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Light Rapier" with _
#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Main-Gauche" with _
#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Rondel Dagger" with _
#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Sai" with _
#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Slashing Wheel" with _
#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Stiletto" with _
#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Force Saber" with _

#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Myrmex" with _
#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Cestus" with _
#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Bladed Hand" with _
#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Combat Fan" with _
#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Hook Sword" with _
#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Qian Kun Ri Yue Dao" with _
#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Shuriken" with _
#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Tonfa" with _
#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Backsword" with _
#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Mensurschläger" with _
#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Sap Glove" with _
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 08-17-2015 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:52 PM   #25
ericbsmith

Code:
** Low-Tech

#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Deer Antlers" with _
#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Knife-Wheel" with _
#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Rondel Dagger" with _
#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Slashing Wheel" with _
#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Stiletto" with _
#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Main-Gauche" with _
#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Jian" with _
#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Edged Rapier" with _
#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Light Edged Rapier" with _
#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Light Rapier" with _
#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Saber" with _
#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Short Staff" with _
#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Dress Smallsword" with _
#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Smallsword" with _

#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Brass Knuckles" with _
#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Myrmex" with _
#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Cestus" with _
#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Bladed Hand" with _
#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Tonfa" with _
#ReplaceTags in "EQ:Shuriken" with _
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 08-17-2015 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:53 PM   #26
ericbsmith

Code:
** Dungeon Fantasy 12 - Ninja
Kaboom-baya.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:42 PM   #27
Armin
GCA Prime

I love this, it's very clever, and totally didn't occur to me at all. I have said it before, but you're definitely better at this than I am.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:43 AM   #28
ericbsmith

Just a note that I've edited my previous posts to include natural weapons (i.e. Strikers) and hand weapons that can use Karate skill (such as Brass Knuckles) to include the Encumbrance penalty from Karate.
Kaboom-baya.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:35 AM   #29
jutis

Hi
I have several questions but only one that pertains to this particular topic.
I'm working a great deal with GCA and I was quite confounded when I saw that it one time when I created a character from scratch there was actually an entry under some of the skills concerning encumbrance.
This was not the case for some of the other characters and now it seems that the entries have disappeared again. To clarify, I got the "Conditional: -1 due to Encumbrance" under some skills that are affected by it ( like Stealth, Climbing, Rapier, etc).
I tried searching the data files for the entries listed here and change the Basic Set data file with the new information provided in this thread, but nothing is seen on the character. What am I doing wrong?
I also tried to change the "Encumbrance Penalty, basevalue(char::enclevel), display(No), " to "Encumbrance Penalty, basevalue(char::enclevel), display(Yes)," not really knowing if that has any relevance to it showing up on the character view or not.
I also found a lot of reference to GCA 5 in the datafiles, is GCA5 planned for release or is this a abandoned project?
jutis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:00 AM   #30
jutis

Hi
An update to this and a confirmation of my own stupidity :)
I have now re synced Equipment and Attributes as stated and it is now working as expected. Still not sure if the "display(Yes)" is needed though
jutis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
encumbrance, fencing skill, skill