Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Old 07-29-2010, 11:04 AM   #1
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)
Default Fantasy Tech 1 - Wait, there's going to be more than one?

It's up!

Now only a brief browsing has shown that this will be extremely good, but the number in the title suggests that we might get more than one... It's like Christmas but in July!

It certainly was not what I expected today, but it's helluva cool! Once Low Tech gets released, we will have the full tech set ready!

Personally, I think that the Gnomish Artificer in my DF game is going to love this book series...
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default GURPS Fantasy-Tech 1: The Edge of Reality

Not what I expected, but very very cool stuff! The Alchemy section alone is worth the $8 bucks folks! Buy it while it's hot, brag to your friends how you got it first!

GURPS Fantasy-Tech 1: The Edge of Reality

Ghostdancer

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
Not another shrubbery

Default Re: Fantasy Tech 1 - Wait, there's going to be more than one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima
Personally, I think that the Gnomish Artificer in my DF game is going to love this book series...
That is who is was made for :)

Reflective Heat Rays... Ooo, burn!
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:31 AM   #4
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
And earlier than I'd expected. I'm not sure just what I expected in its place, but then again I also forgot it was Thursday, so I'm just as surprised as anybody else.

Quote:
the number in the title suggests that we might get more than one...
FWIW, the number just means that it's a potential series (sure, there are ten DF books so far, but Middle Ages 1 never saw a sequel), not that there are necessarily more in the pipeline.

That said, there's potentially a lot of ground to cover under a "fantasy tech" title. For example, this one is basically real-historical weird science (and therefore, in a way, as close as I'll ever get to writing a Ken Hite book). It's stuff that people actually wanted to make but failed or actually made but other people misinterpreted. It's "fantasy" in the broad sense of fancies and imaginings, and it doesn't contain a single bit of out-and-out magic, which means that there's at least one book to write on magically-assisted mundane technology: use of magic in the production of mundane tools for craft workers, impact on crop yields from fertility spells, building times and costs for architecture from earth-moving spells, construction of portal networks, magical "genetic engineering" in elven forests, mining by races with supernatural underground senses, and so on, including new spells, enchanted tools, and magical techniques. Urban Magics is probably a good model for that sort of book.

Quote:
Yes. Yes, he will.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

And it even has an Ethnic Badass category. At last, GURPS players everywhere shall learn to fear the Lakota Katana! ;)

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:06 PM   #6
whswhs

I had actually been thinking about what I would include in a Fantasy-Tech book if I submitted a proposal (it would have been radically different from this one!). It was something of a surprise to find that a book on the subject was already in the works. My treatment would have been much more "categories of fantastic technology in premodern settings." But I don't know how that kind of book could possibly fit into the same model as this book.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:27 PM   #7
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
My treatment would have been much more "categories of fantastic technology in premodern settings." But I don't know how that kind of book could possibly fit into the same model as this book.
To my mind, it shouldn't, no more than, say, Dungeon Fantasy 6 and 8 fit the model of DF 1 (on reflection, perhaps not the best example, but they are very different books despite having the same heading). A Fantasy Tech series could contain books of several different complexions.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:32 PM   #8
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post

A Fantasy Tech series could contain books of several different complexions.
And probably should, or it'll start to look repetitive after about three volumes. Needless to say, if any established GURPS freelancer wants to write a later volume of Fantasy-Tech, I'd be happy to read the proposal.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:33 PM   #9
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
FWIW, the number just means that it's a potential series (sure, there are ten DF books so far, but Middle Ages 1 never saw a sequel), not that there are necessarily more in the pipeline.
Dungeon Fantasy; Adventurers started it's existence without the 1 (It was not added until Dungeon Fantasy 2: Dungeons was published) IIRC. Oh, and I was careful to say "might get" instead of "will get"

Now, with PDFs, after what was done with DF1, I would have though that if there's the possibility of a sequel, but no certainty, the you could simply add the number via errata/correction when the second volume gets published...

Oh, and I finished reading it. Excellent stuff. My only gripes is how much it's going to contradict Low Tech ;)(Mainly things like Gothic/fluted armor,extra thick armor,... Oh, and IIRC, there were Ethnic Badass rules there, though they might be a victim of the dreaded Scisors of High Editor Kromm)
My stuff on e23

Last edited by Kuroshima; 07-29-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:37 PM   #10
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
To my mind, it shouldn't, no more than, say, Dungeon Fantasy 6 and 8 fit the model of DF 1 (on reflection, perhaps not the best example, but they are very different books despite having the same heading). A Fantasy Tech series could contain books of several different complexions.
That would be just awesome.

Also thanks mod's for merging the two threads, I guess Kuro and I decided to simu-post.

^_^

Ghostdancer

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabaret chicks on ice, low-tech