Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-15-2008, 03:45 PM   #41
Blood Legend

Default Re: The Low Tech You want

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh
Reminds me: I was born in the previous millenium, in a country which no longer exists.
That's such an awesome character set up.

"...I was born some time in the last millenium - in a country that doesn't exist... " *appearing in theatres this fall*

"This is the sort of relatively small error that destroys planetary probes." ~Bruno
Blood Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:50 PM   #42
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Legend

"...I was born some time in the last millenium - in a country that doesn't exist... " *appearing in theatres this fall*
You didn't understand. It's not a funny character idea, but a true part of my biography (or many other people's, for that matter).
Old 06-15-2008, 03:58 PM   #43
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh
You didn't understand. It's not a funny character idea, but a true part of my biography (or many other people's, for that matter).
I assume you mean the U.S.S.R. But wasn't that kind of like ancient Rome with one section being much more powerful than the others? I tend to think of those as hegemonies rather than true nations.
Still I would hazard to bet that everyone posting here was born in the last millenium. Do we have any eight year olds?
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:13 PM   #44
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran
I assume you mean the U.S.S.R. But wasn't that kind of like ancient Rome with one section being much more powerful than the others? I tend to think of those as hegemonies rather than true nations.
Still I would hazard to bet that everyone posting here was born in the last millenium. Do we have any eight year olds?
Well, bash.org.ru originally posted it as 'in a CITY that no longer exists', which might sound more dramatic, though IMO the best effect is achieved by combining the two.
The city in question seems to be Leningrad. Even my T9 doesn't recognize the word.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:33 PM   #45
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Legend

It IS a great lead-in...
Now we just need a script.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran
Seven.

heh
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:35 PM   #46
Gizensha

Some weapons, but I do think the detail of the weapons in MA means that LT wouldn't need HT quantity of weapons.

Info on ancient coins and low tech economics (Think things like the short crash course on agrigarian trade networks in Fantasy, and the discussions on these forums about non-market economies in the ancient world, gift economies, and the like)

Ancient ways of getting modern-sounding effects. Info on Roman central heating, and how it worked. The various building methods. Ancient fortification designs, and how they stat up in GURPS, there are a variety of castle designs out there, afterall, each with differing strengths and weaknesses, and to my mind a book on LT should absolutely mention them, and definitely should have info on left handed and right handed staircases (The handedness of a spiral staircase, iirc, is based on defending down it (the traditional right handed staircase is designed so that a defender, who's fighting downwards, has his right hand unobstructed, while an attacker, fighting upwards, is somewhat restricted due to the construction of the castle, assuming both are right handed. One of the castle towers in Conway Castle is left handed, though, so the concept of designing a castle tower to be left handed isn't unheard of)) And I definitely don't want this to just focus on European history and fortification designs, but I don't have a clue about non-European ones so my examples of the sort of thing I want info about are taken from memories of high school history.

Living conditions would probably be useful, like UT's habitat info, as would travel times and technologies. And for those low tech Gadgeteers, info on how various ancient civilisations invented various forms of useful things such as the steam engine and treated them as toys and trinkets. When and where knowledge of such was known about but dismissed as impractical would be useful.

Also, some basics on ancient forms of cryptography and steganography would be nice, as would the date when musical notation was invented in various parts of the world, as with the discovery of the number 0.

No Fantasy technology, no punk technology, etc. There has to be enough info on low tech civilisations to fill a ~250 page book. I want Fantasy Tech [A book detailing magic as technology, magitech, etc, what TLs can be approximated via what spells, designs for the sort of technology you get in the non-sci-fiesque Final Fantasy games, and the like] and Weird Tech (Either apart or together, depending on page counts), but I don't want FT in LT anymore than I'd have wanted WT [My conception of Weird Tech being steam punk, clock punk, etc.] in HT. (If combined maybe call it Alternate Tech?)
Gizensha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:40 PM   #47
griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Huh? There was a brief period where we considered merging TL0-4 with magical "tech," but we decided against that some time ago.
Does that mean that the name will remain Low-Tech or something similar with no chance of a name like Fantasy-Tech? I just remember folks indicating how import it was to go with a name that indicated "fantasy" elements and that it meant way more sales. I'm glad to hear if that is not the case and Low-Tech (or similar title) will be used for the book.

Almost as good news as Technomancer not having the title Techno-Magic (or something very similar) which was very close to happening during the latter stages of playtest. It would have made for a very bad title. Finally someone actually asked to ensure the conflict on the names would raise legal issues and permission to use the Technomancer title was obtained.
griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:42 PM   #48
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizensha
Some weapons, but I do think the detail of the weapons in MA means that LT wouldn't need HT quantity of weapons.
I don't know about this. I think its reasonable to expect Low-Tech to cover period weapons in about the same detail as High Tech and Ultra Tech cover their periods. MA only has 23 pages of actual weapon stats and descriptions, so I don't think its unreasonable to expand that somewhat and cover both the weapons presented in MA as well as additional weapons in greater depth. What I'm trying to say is that while I'm going to own both, if someone wants to run a TL3 game they shouldn't have to pick up both MA and Low Tech to get the relevant equipment stats for that period.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:55 PM   #49
Metallic Vortex

I started playing GURPS in 4th edition, so I haven't had a chance to look too closely at the 3e version of Low Tech, but here's what I'd like to see:

1) Travel times for various vehicles in terms of per second (for combat), per hour (short-range travel), and per day (long-range travel). These days, Google maps says that a ride from Boston to Philadelphia would take 5.5 hours. Though, even as late as TL5 it would take days to get from one town to the other.

2) Chainmail. I was rather disappointed that I couldn't find chainmail in the basic set, but really what I want is details on all sorts of armor.

3) Information on how life was different due to the difference in technology.

4) Whatever I may have overlooked for adventuring.

Also, while I haven't done so yet, I'm interested in running historical games (ie not fantasy) so a Low Tech dedicated to fantasy wouldn't really work for me. On the other hand, an e23 supplement called Fantasy Tech that builds on Low Tech for use in fantasy settings sounds like something I'd buy.
Metallic Vortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 05:58 PM   #50
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallic Vortex
2) Chainmail. I was rather disappointed that I couldn't find chainmail in the basic set, but really what I want is details on all sorts of armor.
Chainmail is on page B283-B284. Mail Hauberk, Mail Shirt, Double Mail Hauberk, Mail Leggings, Mail Sleeves, and Mail Coif. No stats for mail gloves or shoes, but there is enough to coat the rest of your body in mail.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabaret chicks on ice, low-tech