Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-21-2016, 04:12 PM   #1
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Pyramid #3/87: Low-Tech III

Cells and bullets gone
I switched to my trusty blade
And kept on fighting
— Excerpt from "Low-Tech Isn't No Tech"
To be sure, the most obvious backdrop for technology in gaming is either the modern-day technothriller or futuristic sci-fi adventure. That doesn't mean pre-industrial heroes are stuck banging rocks together and swinging from vines! Human ingenuity is at its keenest when technology is sharply limited – as the saying goes, necessity is the mother of invention.

Unfortunately for the GM, invention isn't always easy when the campaign is set in a low-tech world, involves travel to such a time or place, or is a post-apocalyptic mashup. In those situations, how things work is a matter of historical record, which means "make stuff up" tends to backfire. But take heart, because Pyramid #3/87: Low-Tech III is here to inspire with both raw technology and what it implies for culture, economics, and warfare!
  • Weapons in GURPS are nigh eternal, breaking only in extreme circumstances: critical failure, parrying an ogre's club, and so on. Yet historically, The Broken Blade was the risk that prompted knights to carry backup weapons and armies to travel with armorers. Douglas Cole's new rules for robustness, breakage, and dulled edges add not only realism but also risk, excitement, and a reason to keep a knife in your boot.

• Traders and merchants predate the concept of currency. Wherever demand is higher in one place than another, Purveyors of the Priceless can make a profit. Christopher Rice shows how to handle a trader's starting wealth (even in a setting where Wealth doesn't exist), offers eight new perks for merchants, and provides plenty of rules for bartering and selling. Easily determine how much stock you have, how and where to sell it, and how much gold (or cacao) you'll be rolling in.

• If you want to engage in speculative mercantilism on a grand scale at TL3, your best option would be to dive into the Medieval Sea Trade. In this month's Eidetic Memory, David Pulver provides detailed rules for playing port-to-port traders – including full vehicle stats for a merchant ship, 36 common types of cargo (and rules for seeking out specific ones or generating them randomly), and what's involved in ferrying passengers or someone else's freight when you lack a shipment of your own.

• Confucianism was felt at every level of life in medieval China. Its belief that people could be "perfected," rising on their own merits and virtues, spawned a bureaucracy that spanned centuries. Matt Riggsby explains why Knowledge is Power, with an in-depth look at the imperial civil service and the grueling exams required to advance through its levels. Will you spend decades struggling with the curriculum, drop out, or give in to the temptation to cheat?

• Few makers of musical instruments occupy a place in the public consciousness – but everyone has heard of "Stradivarius." The name immediately brings to mind finely crafted violins, passed down from musician to musician over the course of centuries. Yet who was The Music Maker and how did he become the archetypal artificer of stringed instruments? Learn about Antonio Stradivari (with full GURPS stats) and discover why his hometown of Cremona lends itself to historical adventure.

• The "-punk" suffix is popular nowadays, from the well-known "steampunk" to such odd takes as "atompunk" and "stonepunk." It's a simple concept at heart: Start with a real historical setting and then introduce fantastic inventions. But giving gadgeteers free reign to build anything can wreck the game. In Tempered Punks, Graeme Davis gives the GM a variety of ways to balance the scales, so that the players' creative freedom doesn't turn into the GM's worst nightmare.

• And no trip to the past is complete without our usual features, including a Random Thought Table that shows why plot devices and technobabble aren't just for sci-fi, and a Short Bursts that will make you glad you have access to roadside assistance.
PK & Kromm
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:10 PM   #2
Humabout

Default Re: Pyramid #3/87: Low-Tech III

I'm so glad Doug finally got that article published! That is a shining gem right there. Love Matt's and David's articles, too. Knowledge Is Power couldn't have landed at a better time; I'm in the middle of a Chinese kick, lately. Great job, guys!

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:19 PM   #3
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
I'm so glad Doug finally got that article published! That is a shining gem right there. Love Matt's and David's articles, too. Knowledge Is Power couldn't have landed at a better time; I'm in the middle of a Chinese kick, lately. Great job, guys!
I agree.

It's funny. Cherry Blossom Rain had a couple of elements I really wanted expanded on, but I felt that GURPS couldn't really easily handle, so I ended up ignoring. The first was moment-to-moment fatigue, and the second was sword durability, because I feel both are pretty important to the chambara genre.

And what does Cole publish? I used to joke he was a ghost writer for my campaign, but I was kinda serious. His stuff literally addressed my problems.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:21 AM   #4
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Combination of designer's notes and "How could I have forgotten . . . " for yesterday's release of The Broken Blade in Pyramid #3/87 - Low-Tech III.

Shields are a bit problematic with TBB because they have too much of one stat, and another is strangely absent. I fix this: Shields Will be Splintered (Shields in The Broken Blade).
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:59 PM   #5
The_Ryujin

Damn you Kromm and Doug, you've found a way to wrangle another $8 bucks outta me :P

Note helping with me trying to find a way to buy off my Struggling disadvantage heh.

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 02:31 PM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Yeah, I tossed up some Designer's Notes of my own. Overall, the issue's pretty amazing. I've been using Broken Blade for a long time so I know how awesome it is. Really glad to see that it got the cover for this issue - it deserved it. I also have to admit that Matt's article is suspiciously something that I needed for both my fantasy campaign and my supers setting for a specific character. Overall, really great issue.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 02:50 PM   #7
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
I also have to admit that Matt's article is suspiciously something that I needed ...
That, and Jon Black's article, are definitely things you wouldn't see in most gaming magazines, but are really cool.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 02:54 PM   #8
Anthony

Minor style nit: the promo text for The Music Maker doesn't specify who wrote it, while all the others do.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:26 PM   #9
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
That, and Jon Black's article, are definitely things you wouldn't see in most gaming magazines, but are really cool.
It's one of the reasons why I love GURPS - it doesn't just have to be all crunch, all the time. We have some truly amazing scholars who write what amounts to an essay - but in gameable form. I may be alone, but that's pretty incredible to me.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 12:19 AM   #10
Jon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Minor style nit: the promo text for The Music Maker doesn't specify who wrote it, while all the others do.
It's all for the greater glory of GURPS anyway. :)
Jon Black is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
low-tech, pyramid 3/87