Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 12-26-2020, 10:30 PM   #1
WhiteLily

Default Pathfinder Haunts

Pathfinder introduced the concept of Haunts, which are traps that are supernatural curses rather than traditional mechanical traps. To disarm them, in the Pathfinder system, your cleric would have to channel positive energy.

Not sure how to convert that to DFRPG.
WhiteLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 11:07 PM   #2
DaosusLeghki

Default Re: Pathfinder Haunts

It seems that Curses would fit the bill (Exploits 23). Also, there's an overview of Nasty Surprises on Exploits 83.
DaosusLeghki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 12:10 AM   #3
corwyn

Dungeon Fantasy Traps has a few traps that use Foul Magic (tm) instead of traditional means as well.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:15 PM   #4
WhiteLily

I'm running The Haunting of Harrowstone and the first module is a bunch of ghosts and haunts.

Here's an example:

Cold Spot
Notice Perception DC 10 (to notice a sudden temperature drop) hp 13; Trigger proximity; Weakness damaged by fire; Reset 1 hour

Effect When the area of a cold spot is entered, the temperature immediately drops to freezing as the minor spirit draws warmth from living creatures. This action duplicates the effects of a chill touch spell (save DC 11), automatically affecting all creatures in the area for each round they remain.

Destruction An unattended metal object must be subjected to heat metal while the cold spot manifests. The warm object will absorb the entity, and must be quickly buried in hallowed ground.

How would you translate that to DFRPG?
WhiteLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 11:09 PM   #5
Celjabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLily View Post
Cold Spot
Notice Perception DC 10 (to notice a sudden temperature drop) hp 13; Trigger proximity; Weakness damaged by fire; Reset 1 hour

Effect When the area of a cold spot is entered, the temperature immediately drops to freezing as the minor spirit draws warmth from living creatures. This action duplicates the effects of a chill touch spell (save DC 11), automatically affecting all creatures in the area for each round they remain.

Destruction An unattended metal object must be subjected to heat metal while the cold spot manifests. The warm object will absorb the entity, and must be quickly buried in hallowed ground.

How would you translate that to DFRPG?
I would also advice looking at Dungeon Fantasy Traps, especially the Evil Runes p9

For the Cold Spot, I don't know the source material, but at a guess :

Quote:
Cold Spot
When the area of a cold spot is entered, the temperature immediately drops to freezing as the minor spirit draws warmth from living creatures.

Detect:
Perception to notice a sudden temperature drop
or
Sense spirit

Disarm :
An unattended metal object must be subjected to the Heat spell until red hot while the cold spot manifests. The warm object will absorb the entity, and must be quickly buried in hallowed ground.

Avoid: Do not enter the area

Save: Resisted by HT

Effects: Cast a Frostbite‑15 for 1D damage on all creatures in the area every 3 seconds. Armor doesn’t protect.

Shots: Infinite.

Rearm: Automatic

Steal: Entrap Spirit to imprison the cold spot once disarmed
Celjabba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 10:38 AM   #6
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLily View Post
[I]Cold Spot
DC 10 is pretty low, even for 1st-level characters. At least in 5e (with which I'm most familiar), the party Wisdom/Perception person will likely be rolling at about 1d20+5 (+3 for stat, +2 proficiency) so will only fail on a roll of 1-4...so 80% chance of success.

That's a net skill of Per-based Traps of about 13. A starting DFRPG character such as a Scout or Thief rolls out of the gate with a minimum of Per-based Traps-15 (both are at IQ+1 and Per-14), suggesting something like "roll Per-based Traps at -2" for difficulty to spot.

Characters who invest more heavily in trap-finding through enhanced Per or buying extra traps will thus find it more easily, which is as it should be! Those defaulting to Traps or in off-niche specialties may have trouble...which is also as it should be.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote