Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-05-2018, 03:27 PM   #61
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Stretching the bounds of typical fantasy races -OR- What makes an elf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
I think I may incorporate some Glaswegian stereotype into my dwarves going forward. Incredibly friendly, but they tend to measure their friendships by how many teeth they've knocked out of one another.
Like my idea from decades ago of trolls being friendly but say hello by biting off pieces of shoulders... Hey, it'll grow back, right?
Old 04-05-2018, 06:28 PM   #62
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Stretching the bounds of typical fantasy races -OR- What makes an elf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
My Dwarves are more German and Norwegian than Scots. No haggis for them.
Mine vary between Norse, Germanic, and Jewish (with some Quaker mixed in).
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:35 PM   #63
tanksoldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Mine vary between Norse, Germanic, and Jewish (with some Quaker mixed in).
Hmmmm.... Amish dwarves?

Other dwarves consider them heretical because they shave their mustaches?
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:03 PM   #64
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Like my idea from decades ago of trolls being friendly but say hello by biting off pieces of shoulders... Hey, it'll grow back, right?
I'm reminded of certain less than serious manga where characters made a practice of "dynamic entry", always arriving on the scene by kicking something or someone just to announce their arrival.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:22 PM   #65
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
In the Traveller settings I’ve always thought of the Darrians as Space Elves... and Sword Worlds as Space Orks... both are human cultures but they fill those niches.

In any setting Elves appear unpredictable to outsiders not because they actually are capricious but because they make their decisions on a different, unknown, set of premises and values.
Darriens might make Space Elves, but Swordies are more Space Dwarves. Swordies don't spend all their time brawling and shouting for,"more dakka", in fact their frontiersman trope is as much their hat as the soldier one. The best model of Space Orcs is the Ithklur if you allow for the fact that Ithklur aren't really baddies, they are just Boisterous Bruisers.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:29 AM   #66
Flyndaran
Untagged

I think most of us would agree that Klingons are space Orcs, and Vulcans are space Elves.
Ferengi could work as space goblins or even Zurich gnomes in DS9.

I can't think of any species that works as space Dwarves in any of the Star Trek series though.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:43 AM   #67
David Johnston2

Quote:
I think most of us would agree that Klingons are space Orcs, and Vulcans are space Elves.
Ferengi could work as space goblins or even Zurich gnomes in DS9.

I can't think of any species that works as space Dwarves in any of the Star Trek series though.
Tellarites. Short, stocky, bearded, belligerent toward the elfy Vulcans and Andorians. And their stereotype occupations are miners and merchants.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:58 PM   #68
Flyndaran
Untagged

They weren't short that I remember. Wikis even list their species as slightly taller than human on average. The first individual we see in the original series was slightly short, but that's all.
And I don't think you can have Dwarves that aren't short.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:19 PM   #69
Daigoro

Quote:
They weren't short that I remember. Wikis even list their species as slightly taller than human on average. The first individual we see in the original series was slightly short, but that's all.
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Tellarite says "Tellarites were a stout humanoid species with an average body height shorter than that of Humans."

And if you showed me this picture out of context, I'd have said they're dwarves.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 02:36 PM   #70
David Johnston2

Quote:
Memory Alpha and Star Trek Online both describe them as "short". I can't find any first page references that suggest they are taller than human on average and the first example tends to set the stereotype. Even apart from that, "bearded", "stubborn", "hard-drinking" and "doesn't like elves" do seem to cover a lot of dwarf territory. Not to mention that they first appear as parties to a mining dispute.