Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #1
Aigol

Default Legs

If I wanted someone that could either have a snakelike tail that switched to being bipedal how would I do that? They move at the same land speed with tail or legs, would I just make their original legs switchable for 1 point if switchable works like the other examples under extra legs. Or is there another method for doing this?
Aigol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:44 PM   #2
NorphTehDwarf

Default Re: Legs

I'd call it a 0-point physical feature if the tail doesn't allow the character to do things a bipedal character couldn't. If the tail lets one make a constriction attack or slither up walls or something, then I'd charge for those abilities.
NorphTehDwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #3
MagiMaster

I'd have to agree, depending on the campaign. Both the original form and the snake tail are 0-point, so the ability to switch between two 0-point features should also be 0 points, assuming it's not in a realistic campaign where such a thing would freak people out. Otherwise, it'd be a perk, quirk or unusual background depending on the mechanics and setting details.
MagiMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:41 PM   #4
PK

Legs and Slithers are both 0-point features, but that assumes you only have one option. If you can switch between the two, you have some very minor advantages, because you can do things like confuse someone who's tracking you.

This should be a perk. Now, it's only a reasonable perk in a campaign that lets characters choose freely between Legs or Slithers! If not (e.g., if someone wanted to take this perk in a modern "commandos in Afghanistan" game), it's still a perk, but it should also require an Unusual Background, if available at all.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:26 PM   #5
Refplace

It also is effectively granting you extra legs though. Since if they lose legs or tail they can still move at full value.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:51 PM   #6
Trachmyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
It also is effectively granting you extra legs though. Since if they lose legs or tail they can still move at full value.
I agree, I'd price it the same as having 4 legs... your tail/body counts as 2 of them.
Trachmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:52 AM   #7
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
If.

OTOH, if it's a case of merging two legs, a crippled leg should have lasting effects on the tail mode too.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:12 AM   #8
Goober4473

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagiMaster View Post
I'd have to agree, depending on the campaign. Both the original form and the snake tail are 0-point, so the ability to switch between two 0-point features should also be 0 points, assuming it's not in a realistic campaign where such a thing would freak people out. Otherwise, it'd be a perk, quirk or unusual background depending on the mechanics and setting details.
Hermaphromorph comes to mind as an example, though the utility of being male or female is a little more than a tail or legs. Sounds more like a perk, so long as it's controlled.
Goober4473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:30 PM   #9
PK

Quote:
I think I'm being misunderstood -- I wasn't suggesting that the perk would let you manifest a working tail if your legs were crippled, or vice-versa! As I understood the original concept, your legs merge into a tail, or your tail splits into legs. So if you lose a leg, you can't just switch to a tail and move at full value. If your legs are crippled, so is your tail, and vice-versa, because they're the same thing. (And yes, that arguably gives people a reason to stay in "tail mode" all the time -- but as said before, always having a tail instead of legs is a 0-point feature anyway, so that's not a big deal.)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:38 PM   #10
cccwebs

Well, the most RAW way would be using Alternate Form. I say this because switching between legs to a tail also changes hit locations and the amount of damage necessary to cripple the leg/tail. Since No Legs (Slithers) is a 0 point feature, the cost for Alternate Form would be 15.
cccwebs is offline   Reply With Quote