Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-03-2019, 04:37 PM   #1
mark hill

Default Old guy questions about NEW tft

Ive been GMing TFT for 40+ years now (eGAD has it really been that frikkin long?!?) What I always used for a playmat was some scaled hex sheets glued to a big-ish wood board, usually around 1 meter by 1/2 meter, (so long range or significant cavalry combat could happen), then overlaid with clear contact (dunno whatcha call that in the US .. its what kids cover school books with) so you could draw terrain with whiteboard markers. I have NOT laid my hands on the new rules yet, but gather that the hexes are a bit bigger now (not a stupid idea) .. how many millimeters across is a hex these days? for that matter .. does TFT still generally use metric measurements?

Ive also been drawing lil guys for to kill each other that long .. how far across is a current 1 hex guy, in mm?
mark hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:52 PM   #2
FireHorse

Default Re: Old guy questions about NEW tft

The new hexes are 37.63mm from side to side, and 43.451mm from point to opposite point.

Or 1.4815" x 1.7107" if you use Inches.

Or 8p10.667 x 10p3.168, if you use Picas, like me.

EDIT: Oh, and the standard counter is now 1" x 1", so 25.4mm x 25.4mm (or 6p0 x 6p0).

Last edited by FireHorse; 04-03-2019 at 04:58 PM.
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:18 PM   #3
larsdangly

Welcome to a fellow traveler! Come by and post often.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:23 PM   #4
FireHorse

Here's a welcoming gift, to save you some time…

A4 Megahex Grid Paper (PDF)

…with hexes exactly the same size as on the Official SJG Megahexes.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:45 PM   #5
mark hill

Thanks guys :))

So TFT is now using british imperial and/or american type measurements? lbs, inches and whatnot? Im guessing therefore a hex is supposed to be a yard across rather than a meter? Fortunately I learned those medieval mesurement things in the dim past just to comprehend what ad+d was on about (lol) .. so a kg is about 2.2 lbs and an inch is about 25mm (no exacto, but close enuf for govt business :))

I guess my post holocaust tft campaign better wise up and use guns in calibur rather than mm .. dammit lol
Old 04-03-2019, 05:58 PM   #6
mark hill

soo .. after a bit of f***ing about with the ruler..

holy HELL ive gotta lotta tft counters that are 20mm across, literally tens of thousands of em .. thats gonna be several weeks or MONTHS rescanning all that old art, i definitely do NOT have comp files of all that old art, dunno if ive got even all the originals anymore .. rescanning fingerprint damaged old table-used counters would suck ass too, especially if Im scaling up .. bugger

25mm is *quite* a lot bigger, dunno if id even draw em in the same style these days .. hells bells where do I start .. wizards, mercenaries, orcs and skeletons? gargoyles, reptile men, hymenopterans?? Ive drawn like several hundred mesoamericans too .. bugger lolol

ok fellas tell me this .. in the new counters, what is MOST wanting?

Last edited by mark hill; 04-03-2019 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:01 PM   #7
FireHorse

"Medieval"…? I'm pretty sure we don't need to go back quite that far to find Imperial standards. ;)

Anyway, a current Melee hex is 4 feet across (side to side).

However, note that a Labyrinth hex (Megahex) is supposedly 3 yards (so 9 feet, not 12). I gather that the discrepancy is functionally irrelevant (since semi-exact measurements really only matter at the Melee hex level), and should be ignored. This greatly aggravates my OCD, much like a scratchy tag in a new shirt annoying the back of your neck… but somehow, I struggle heroically onward.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:17 PM   #8
mark hill

well no, the US is undeniably using it still .. totally a modern country, first man on moon etc etc .. no offence meant old chap. Just looks a lil retro to the un-american commie foreigners dontcha know :))

yards, meters .. what do those cannon fodder goblins know :)

the 4 foot hex eh? adapt or die

Last edited by mark hill; 04-03-2019 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:26 PM   #9
mark hill

actually 4 foot hexes do feel better than 1 meter ones .. Im sure I could clock a bloke 2m away with a 2h sword or axe, *definetly* a rapier .. but 4 foot is at least possibly impossible :)

opps I meant 8 ft ofc

Last edited by mark hill; 04-03-2019 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:43 PM   #10
Anthony

SJG is prone to weirdly short reach for melee weapons in general. Assuming we measure character position from the center of the body and are using a broadsword or similar weapon held in the forward hand, stabbing or slashing someone 6' away isn't particularly hard, reduced to maybe 5' if you're trying to land a solid chopping blow while using a shield.