Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-26-2016, 08:15 PM   #41
jason taylor

Default Re: Recoil for Single-Shot Weapons

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
I'm not sure how much making a multi-barrel version of a single-shot would affect Recoil.

Bulk? Yes, very much. But Recoil? Increasing the weight and Bulk typically reduce Recoil.
And gadgeteering.

The old French 75(not the drink, the gun) was the first to have a pneumatic firing brace. In a sense it did not reduce the recoil(a person who for some unexplainable reason was tied to the breech would still have his ribs cracked). It did however keep it from being kicked out of position, thus allowing the crew to keep firing without reaiming.

And no I don't know why they named a drink after a gun. Maybe the hangover felt like listening to a French 75 firing all day.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:52 PM   #42
Sam Cade

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
And no I don't know why they named a drink after a gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiki
The drink dates to World War I, and an early form was created in 1915 at the New York Bar in Paris—later Harry's New York Bar—by barman Harry MacElhone. The combination was said to have such a kick that it felt like being shelled with the powerful French 75mm field gun.

lorem ipsum.

http://www.jpfo.org/
كافر
Sam Cade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:50 PM   #43
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Cade View Post

lorem ipsum.
Actually pretty close to my guess. Though it was chiefly favored in allied bars when the other kind of french 75 would be aimed at the Germans. I suppose that makes as much sense as the German officer in Casablanca wanting one.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:52 AM   #44
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
.... As noted, the current rules actually work alright when you have a situation of humans using modern small arms against humans.

Yeah I think this is the point, taken overall as a net result the current FA rules (and Rcl and MinST) might well give reasonably realistic results. As in over X number of seconds firing at FA with Y number of rounds per second, you get Z hits on target, and Z = a reasonably realistic figure.

It's when you start breaking that down into it's constituent parts, and giving it edge situations you get weird results such as 13 rounds giving +3 to hit weather it's at 2 yards or 2000 yards (and the different implications it has for both ranges). etc etc

There have been various tweaks on that though.

I think I still like leveraging MinST* here though as that stat is closer analogue to felt recoil (and compensating for it). But as I said above Rcl, MinST, FA rules are all a bit of a mix of overlapping effects an problems IMO.

And yes your point about not rolling for each round is exactly right too!

*and working up some kind of firing ST for mounts that don't involve a human firer's ST

Last edited by Tomsdad; 05-27-2016 at 08:07 AM.
Tomsdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:01 AM   #45
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Cade View Post

lorem ipsum.
I love that that's exactly ten letters. GENIUS!
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firearm, flare gun, help me out here, question, recoil