Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 10-06-2017, 07:58 PM   #1
LoneWolf23k

Default [DF] A DF Campaign Setting concept: Post-Banestorm Earth

Okay, so had this idea for a Dungeon Fantasy setting. Here's the pitch, done Infinite Worlds Style:
Tolkien, 1200 C.E.

Current Affairs
The Era of Banestorms is dying down, leaving native humanity to deal with a changed world of Magic, Monsters and other Intelligent races, some friendly, some hostile. A new generation of adventuring heroes must delve into ruins of the old world (and offworld buildings translocated by the Banestorms) and battle monsters and demons, for glory and fortune.

Divergence Point
500 C.E.; a ritual spell gone awry somehow interlocked with botched ritual spells on other worlds in other dimensions, causing a massive global Banestorm, which brought various people and creatures to Earth from world such as Yrth, Gabrook, Loren'dil, Olokun, and many other worlds, as well as from stranger dimensions.

Major Civilizations
Western (multipolar), Islamic (multipolar), Chinese (empire with satellite states), Orthodox (Bipolar), Norse (diffuse), Dwarven (empire), Elven (diffuse)

Great Powers
Song China (dictatorship, CR4), Deb Zarak [New Zarak] (feudal oligarchy, CR3 for dwarves), Holy Roman Empire (feudal, CR3), Roman Empire [Byzantines] (dictatorship, CR4), Abbasid Caliphate (dictatorship, CR 3),

Worldline Data
TL: 3-4 Mana Level: Normal
Quantum: 3 Infinity Class: Z3
Centrum Zone: Inaccessible

At this point it's just a broad strokes idea, but some ideas I was considering include:
-Jerusalem being ruled by a new Religious Order consisting of allied Jewish, Christian and Muslim religious leaders and warriors united by a Divine Message by angels delivering the Arc of the Covenant to bring peace and order to the world. The city itself is patrolled and protected by Golems who enforce a strict Peace Code.
-A Viking resurgence, led by Runepriests and Skinchangers seeking to restablish the Old Faith.
-Serpentfolk Sorceror-priests using magic and plotting to overthrow the Fatimid Caliphate and establish a Serpent-Lord Empire.
-New Zarak, the Underground Kingdom of the Dwarves, built under the Alps.
-Orcs have thrived out in the wilderness, and many have learned from the Mongols, and begun forming Hordes of their own, becoming a menace to civilization.

That's just a few ideas I had. I'm open to further suggestions and criticisms.

Edit: Decided to amend the year to 1200, to put it right at the start of the High Middle Ages.

Last edited by LoneWolf23k; 10-10-2017 at 09:46 AM. Reason: timeline change
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:57 AM   #2
Captain Joy

Default Re: [DF] A DF Campaign Setting concept: Post-Banestorm Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf23k View Post
Jerusalem being ruled by a new Religious Order consisting of allied Jewish, Christian and Muslim religious leaders and warriors united by a Divine Message by angels delivering the Arc of the Covenant to bring peace and order to the world. The city itself is patrolled and protected by Golems who enforce a strict Peace Code.
You might replace the Arc with something else that all all three religions would feel connected to: the bones of Abraham, Noah's Ark, the Tree of Life, …
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:12 AM   #3
Joe

This is a fun idea - I'd definitely sign up to play in such a campaign.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:01 AM   #4
LoneWolf23k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
You might replace the Arc with something else that all all three religions would feel connected to: the bones of Abraham, Noah's Ark, the Tree of Life, …
The Ark of the Covenant is referred to in Islamic scripture, so I don't see why it wouldn't serve as a unifying symbol for all three faiths.
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:55 AM   #5
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf23k View Post
The Ark of the Covenant is referred to in Islamic scripture, so I don't see why it wouldn't serve as a unifying symbol for all three faiths.
I was operating under the assumption that the Islamic faith generally parted company with Judaism at Issac vs. Ishmael. That view is quite possibly simplistic to a fault. Research would seem to be in order, but the Ark is a time honored artifact of coolness in general.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:38 AM   #6
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
I was operating under the assumption that the Islamic faith generally parted company with Judaism at Issac vs. Ishmael. That view is quite possibly simplistic to a fault. Research would seem to be in order, but the Ark is a time honored artifact of coolness in general.
You need to distinguish between the mythic lineage of Arabs and Jews (which is divided there) and the Islamic and Jewish religions, where the relationship is substantially more complex.

A significant fraction of Muslims expect possession of the Ark to be one of the signs of the Madhi. In some versions it will contain the original scripture "lost" from or "distorted" into the Torah and New Testament (echoes of the Bon or Tibetan Buddhist termas tradition should be obvious here) that will refute their false beliefs and cause most Jews and Christians to convert.